Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Hair Tie Vent Again
daycare 12:58 PM 04-01-2014
So last week I posted about some alternatives that could be used in place of the small elastic hair ties.

I told every family face to face no more elastic hair ties.

The family that has the DCG who pulls them out all the time and throws them on the floor, I sent home an email, talked to both parents face to face in detail on Friday and again on Monday that I will no longer allow them. I then gave them the cotton PT holders to use that I purchased myself. Yes I am that nice that I went out and bought a full pack 2 for each child. DCG does not like them, she rips them out and she also refuses to allow us to do her hair, so I did tell the DCP all of this and that I just prefer the cotton ones or nothing at all. They said ok they understood.

Today DCK above comes in an elastic hair tie. I didn't notice it until after the DCK was dropped off. I am so bothered by this. I told the DCF how bad the other child wrist was by putting on the elastic band and it was a safety issue. The above family is usually one of my best families and I am mad that they completely ignored me.

Am I just super crabby today or should I be super annoyed????
Blackcat31 01:03 PM 04-01-2014
Stop being super nice.

Take the hair tie out.

Check for one every.single.day upon drop off until the family "gets it"

Address it again at pick up.

NOT following your rules is rude and disrespectful...especially since you already talked with them about it.

If necessary, attach a fee. Every time DCG arrives in an unacceptable hair tie, charge them. Apparently attaching a fee to things is the only way some people will actually "hear" you.
daycare 01:22 PM 04-01-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Stop being super nice.

Take the hair tie out.

Check for one every.single.day upon drop off until the family "gets it"

Address it again at pick up.

NOT following your rules is rude and disrespectful...especially since you already talked with them about it.

If necessary, attach a fee. Every time DCG arrives in an unacceptable hair tie, charge them. Apparently attaching a fee to things is the only way some people will actually "hear" you.
I am being Nice-professional, but I am being firm.

I will be telling DCP tonight at drop off NO MORE and I am not giving it back because I threw it in the trash.

I just can't help but be annoyed......
Blackcat31 01:47 PM 04-01-2014
Originally Posted by daycare:

I just can't help but be annoyed......
Totally warranted.

Hugs for having to deal....

Sometimes I just have to shake my head and pray like mad that there really are other jobs out there that are worse than this one because I like to think positively.
jenn 02:05 PM 04-01-2014
In my experience, they won't care until it inconveniences them or makes them look bad. There are a few families that will follow the rules, but most will push their limits.
I would start making it a top priority to check this child's hair at drop off. If she walks in with an unapproved hair tie, take it out and hand it to the parent. "Oops! Looks like mommy/daddy forgot the rules!"
If you don't catch it when she comes in, either take it out of her hair and throw it away or inconvenience the parent. "Little Sally doesn't want me to take the hair tie out of her hair, so you will need to come and either remove it or take her home." Once it inconveniences them, they will remember the next day.
lovemykidstoo 05:26 PM 04-01-2014
If you posted before about the hair ties, I missed it. What happens when she takes them out and how is yours better? Just curious? I have 1 dcg that ever day she takes hers out at naptime and we have to look for it. Well, I used to look for it. I don't anymore, the vacuum gets it.
daycare 05:39 PM 04-01-2014
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
If you posted before about the hair ties, I missed it. What happens when she takes them out and how is yours better? Just curious? I have 1 dcg that ever day she takes hers out at naptime and we have to look for it. Well, I used to look for it. I don't anymore, the vacuum gets it.
sorry I don't know how to repost the thread.
long story short, the I have a DCG that pulls out her hair ties and throws them on the floor another child came and put it on their wrist without me knowing about it. the hair tie was a very tiny one and it cut was starting to cut off the circulation to the child's fingers/wrist. the childs wrist was deep purple as was the pinky finger. I did not notice it because the child had a long sleeve shirt on and it was under the sleeve. It must have been on for about an hour or two, I noticed when I went to wash the kids hands.

So I told everyone NO MORE elastic hair ties. I bought some called scrunchies, they are thicker and cotton and there is no way anyone could cut off circulation with these. Well the DCP ignored me and sent the child in the elastic hair band again. I took it out and threw it away.

The child just got picked up and I told DCD that DCG came today with an elastic hair tie and that they are not to use them anymore. I told him I thew it in the trash because I did not want to risk anyone getting hurt by it again. He said ok, I will tell mom again. I told him that I already emailed her about it and talked to her about it before too, so that she needs to make sure that this does not happen again....

DCD did say to me, what are supposed to do, cut her hair? I told him that was his choice to make not mine, that I was trying to be flexible about the hair ties by allowing the cotton ones, but until she can leave them in her hair, I will not allow them.
He just said ok.
Magic 09:00 PM 04-01-2014
A baby can also swallow them ....remind the parents of the danger to the young ones, and yes pull them out every morning if you have too ...Safty first
Reply Up