Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Claiming Cost of Gluten Free food
e.j. 12:02 PM 02-11-2015
Tom, this isn't day care related but I'm wondering if you could help me. My dd was initially diagnosed with a wheat allergy and told to go on a gluten free diet to see if it helped her feel better. We were told that since she has a diagnosed wheat allergy, the gluten free foods we buy for her use only can be tax deductible if the total for the year falls in a certain percentage range of our income. As I'm looking further into it, I'm reading that it's not the full cost of GF foods. It's the difference in cost between the gluten free food item and a non-gluten free alternative. My question is, how would I determine that difference? For example, I've bought Annie's GF Mac and Cheese for her but what do I compare it to for pricing? Kraft Mac and Cheese? Aldi's brand? Mac & cheese that's on sale or does it have to be full price? Do you know if there are any guidelines as far as brand comparisons? Do I need to provide proof of the cost of non-GF food I'm comparing it to?

Also, ordinarily if I were to make brownies, I'd buy a box mix for about $2. For her, I have to buy GF Potato Starch and Xanthum gum and because she has multiple other allergies, including peanuts, I have to buy special cocoa powder, special chocolate morsels, etc. Would I add up the cost of ingredients and find the difference between that total and the $2 mix or would i have to compare each ingredient (GF only?) to what I would ordinarily buy?

If I buy GF cookies and there are only 10 cookies to a package but I would ordinarily buy a regular box of cookies with 30 cookies in it, do I have to figure out price per cookie for each?

Claiming the cost of GF foods probably just isn't worth the trouble but given the cost of this food and all of the medical testing she went through last year that we had to pay out of pocket, iI want to make sure we're not short changing ourselves. Help?
TomCopeland 04:26 PM 02-11-2015
Originally Posted by e.j.:
Tom, this isn't day care related but I'm wondering if you could help me. My dd was initially diagnosed with a wheat allergy and told to go on a gluten free diet to see if it helped her feel better. We were told that since she has a diagnosed wheat allergy, the gluten free foods we buy for her use only can be tax deductible if the total for the year falls in a certain percentage range of our income. As I'm looking further into it, I'm reading that it's not the full cost of GF foods. It's the difference in cost between the gluten free food item and a non-gluten free alternative. My question is, how would I determine that difference? For example, I've bought Annie's GF Mac and Cheese for her but what do I compare it to for pricing? Kraft Mac and Cheese? Aldi's brand? Mac & cheese that's on sale or does it have to be full price? Do you know if there are any guidelines as far as brand comparisons? Do I need to provide proof of the cost of non-GF food I'm comparing it to?

Also, ordinarily if I were to make brownies, I'd buy a box mix for about $2. For her, I have to buy GF Potato Starch and Xanthum gum and because she has multiple other allergies, including peanuts, I have to buy special cocoa powder, special chocolate morsels, etc. Would I add up the cost of ingredients and find the difference between that total and the $2 mix or would i have to compare each ingredient (GF only?) to what I would ordinarily buy?

If I buy GF cookies and there are only 10 cookies to a package but I would ordinarily buy a regular box of cookies with 30 cookies in it, do I have to figure out price per cookie for each?

Claiming the cost of GF foods probably just isn't worth the trouble but given the cost of this food and all of the medical testing she went through last year that we had to pay out of pocket, iI want to make sure we're not short changing ourselves. Help?
To determine the difference in cost compare it to any other brand. Don't compare it to something on sale. I don't know of any guidelines. I think if you make a reasonable estimate of the difference in prices you will be okay. I would copy off the Internet prices you are comparing it to, if you can. Otherwise, make your own notes about this. I wouldn't compare every ingredient, I'd compare the difference in the cost of a box of brownies. If you can't compare boxes (# of cookies is very different) then do estimate the cost per cookie.
e.j. 06:22 PM 02-11-2015
Thank you so much! I appreciate your help.
Reply Up