Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Question for Infant Providers
kendallina 05:11 AM 09-19-2015
When do infant parents start looking for care? I'm due in March, but taking the summer off of preschool. So I won't need care until Fall 2016. I don't need to start looking this early do I? If I start looking closer to delivery is that enough time? We have very few options for infant care in my town.
laundrymom 05:24 AM 09-19-2015
That depends on supply and demand in your area.
Personally I like to meet prospective parents during 8th mo of pregnancy if they're looking for 6wk newborn care. They get a feel for me, I see how they are... And if we each pass each other's tests they check with me weekly to see if I've got room. They decide when to pay for the spot based on their needs/budget. I do give them curtesy of calling when I have other interest.
So they can decide if paying for the spot when baby is, say, 3 weeks old, is something they are interested in.
I enroll the first family who pays for spot that I feel is a good fit.
I interview 8/10 families for each spot. I'm super picky.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 05:49 AM 09-19-2015
I like phone calls early because then I can plan. I stay full so if you were looking for fall it would be nice to know early so that I can look at who I have - is there a kidlet heading to Kindergarten etc. I am odd in the fact that I will hold spots for future babies because I like to start them from the beginning and stay with them until they leave for kindergarten so if that means holding a spot for a newborn, I do. So if you are looking for next fall I would definitely start calling by spring. You might want to start calling when you are 7 months so you can make a list of possible spots and work from there when it comes closer to time.
e.j. 07:20 AM 09-19-2015
I don't think it hurts to start interviewing early so you know which day care providers you like and which ones you want to rule out. My problem as a provider is that when parents interview early, I don't always know whether I'm going to have an opening when the parent needs one if it's that far out. If it's only a matter of a month or two, I don't mind holding the spot but if I'd have to hold it for 9 months, it won't work for me unless the parent is willing to pay to hold it. It probably wouldn't hurt, though, to get your name on a waiting list for the providers you like - especially if you have few options for infant care.
Snowmom 09:25 AM 09-19-2015
I don't think it hurts to look early either.
But you will run into providers who all have very different approaches to infant enrollment.
Some like to plan out in advance (if they anticipate openings), some do not interview until closer to the due date, and some will simply put you on a wait list and call you when they think they have an opening.

In my area, infant care is hard to find (centers tend to have more availability than in-home but cost twice as much on average).

Get referrals for good care in your area: some of the best ways to find infant openings is by joining a mom's group; either online, church groups, or local organizations. There's also many groups on Facebook where you can post what you are looking for, with hours and location and providers will respond.
kendallina 10:05 AM 09-19-2015
Ok, thank you ladies! Maybe I'll start putting feelers out there in January or so. I'm from a pretty small town and all of my current preschoolers came from infant providers in the area and I have several friends who have been to infant providers and I'm worried that I'm going to be a lot pickier than than everyone else...haha.

I live in Ohio, where you can care for 6 kids and not be licensed, which is great for me that I can have 6 preschoolers and not deal with licensing, but for an infant provider...it's just harder to trust that they're going to do things the correct, safe way. At least my baby will be 6 months when he goes... People trust me with their kids every day and I'm going to have a harder time doing the same.

Thanks!!
Reply Up