Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Many Of You Are Off Today?
MomBoss 06:30 AM 02-18-2019
Providers- are you taking a paid holiday today?
All my parents are off today but one still brought their child. Im thinking of adding MLK day and Presidents day to my paid holidays since all my parents are off. At first i thought i would be causing problems for families that needed to still work, but now i realize most people have this day off.
Blackcat31 06:34 AM 02-18-2019
Originally Posted by MomBoss:
All my parents are off today but one still brought their child. Im thinking of adding MLK day and Presidents day to my paid holidays since all my parents are off. At first i thought i would be causing problems for families that needed to still work, but now i realize most people have this day off.
I am open as normal. I am sure several of my kids that are here have parents that are off but I guess I choose not to care. I am paid for the day so they can use it if they want. Especially true for those that pay for their own child care. Those on CCAP or EL scholarships have limitations for certain days but either way I am open.

I feel sorry for the kids who's parents dump them but its been this way since the day I opened two and half decades ago so I assume it's always been this way. Sad and annoying for sure but like I said, I choose not to care.

On the flip side, if I need or want time off, I just take it and don't care if any of my families approve or not. I am paid 52 weeks a year. Regardless of absences or closures.

Makes it much less stressful.
MomBoss 06:38 AM 02-18-2019
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I am open as normal. I am sure several of my kids that are here have parents that are off but I guess I choose not to care. I am paid for the day so they can use it if they want. Especially true for those that pay for their own child care. Those on CCAP or EL scholarships have limitations for certain days but either way I am open.

I feel sorry for the kids who's parents dump them but its been this way since the day I opened two and half decades ago so I assume it's always been this way. Sad and annoying for sure but like I said, I choose not to care.

On the flip side, if I need or want time off, I just take it and don't care if any of my families approve or not. I am paid 52 weeks a year. Regardless of absences or closures.

Makes it much less stressful.
Im thinking of adding paid vacations too. How much do you allow yourself?
DaveA 06:45 AM 02-18-2019
I'm open but have 2 kids and they're early pickups. Going to do some rotating toys and maybe throw a movie in during naptime.

As for paid vacation- I added 4 days (birthday, anniversary, and days after Thanksgiving & Christmas) to my holidays instead of doing paid vacations. As for taking time off I'm with BC. I take off what fits me and my family. I explain to parents from the interview that this really helps me provide a better product/ service to clients. Parents who have an issue with this generally don't last long with me.
Blackcat31 06:57 AM 02-18-2019
Im thinking of adding paid vacations too. How much do you allow yourself?
I take a week in the summer (usually around the 4th of July) and the time between Christmas and New Year's.

I also take:
Thanksgiving and Black Friday
Friday and Monday for Memorial Day
Friday and Monday for Labor Day
Friday and Monday for Easter

I also "reserve" 5 personal days for what ever I need whenever I need them.

So in a nutshell:

2 week long vacations (12 days)
4 long holiday weekends (8 days)
5 personal unspecified days (5 days)
TOTAL 25 days off

I have closed on occasion on other days when needed and sometimes I've credited families and other times not. I guess it depends on how much notice I am giving.

I don't do it often (close outside of my scheduled days off) but I have done it when needed and most my families are pretty respectful about it since I am pretty reliable and open with communicating these days in advance.

I don't close when school does and I don't close for bad weather either.

As I get older though I can see adding in additional days/time off. Not so much because I need it but because I used to be able to get a lot of my trainings and paperwork done during the day but I have to say these kids now days are so darn needy and helpless at far older ages than in the past that I don't a chance to much of that during my work hours any longer so I can definitely see myself adding in a few "in-service" days.
MomBoss 07:24 AM 02-18-2019
One of the newer families i have, paid for my vacation. The contract i gave them did not say anything aboutt paid vacations or my time off.
I did this on purpose to see if she would ask. When i announced my time off , she did not ask about payment and paid my normal amount. Some of the other families who had a contract that said my vacations are upaid, still asked how payment worked.
It gave me a good idea of how it will go once i add into my contract paid holidays.
Blackcat31 07:34 AM 02-18-2019
One of the newer families i have, paid for my vacation. The contract i gave them did not say anything aboutt paid vacations or my time off.
I did this on purpose to see if she would ask. When i announced my time off , she did not ask about payment and paid my normal amount. Some of the other families who had a contract that said my vacations are upaid, still asked how payment worked.
It gave me a good idea of how it will go once i add into my contract paid holidays.
Yes, don't ask. Just take the days you need off and require payment. It really does eliminate the feelings of annoyance when parents dump their kids on their off days.

There is so much in my own life to stress about that I am certainly not going to give any of my valuable time to any of my daycare families by stressing over what they do/don't do. If they want to throw away time with their kids, that's on them. If I choose to take time for MY family it's none of their business.

You will never have a full boat of clients that believe keeping their children home on their day off is the right thing to do so change how YOU operate instead.
KarenSue 07:45 AM 02-18-2019
I’m working today but take several weeks off a year. When I interview I always tell families they need to have back up care because I do take time off. I take 4 weeks a year off-spring break, a week in summer, the week of Thanksgiving and the week of Christmas. I used to feel bad about it but that didn’t last long.
Second Home 08:00 AM 02-18-2019
Two dck today , both families have the day off
Hunni Bee 08:02 AM 02-18-2019
Not me, not ever

But my kid is, and we got notice. No robocall, no flyers home, no verbal reminder from the school. All the surrounding school systems are open for snow day make-up. Except ours, randomly.
CountryRoads 08:03 AM 02-18-2019
Typically, I would be open today but since none of my families needed care, I decided to close. One of my families still would have brought their kids, and I really wanted a day with my own child.

I don't charge for days I close, it was worth it to me to take the loss so I can spend the day with my youngest.
Msdunny 09:03 AM 02-18-2019
All my Monday parents are working, so all 3 dcks are here. It really doesn’t matter to me, because dh is also working. I tend to close on the days he will be off.
Jupadia 09:29 AM 02-18-2019
Yup, closed for day.

Many of our provinces celebrate family day this weekend and its considered a stat holiday here in Canada. Alberta had it since 1990 but Ontario started in in 2008, it took me forever that year to figure out what new holiday people were talking about since I moved just a few weeks before that from Alberta. My kid also had Friday off for a development day at school so he got a four day weekend.
Ac114 10:27 AM 02-18-2019
I’m opened but wish I had closed. Only have my twins here today but their mom is off work so technically none of my families needed care. I would have taken the cut in pay if I had known in advance ����
e.j. 10:28 AM 02-18-2019
I'm off today. I take all of the Monday holidays the schools have off - Labor Day, Columbus Day, Veteran's Day, MLK Day, President's Day, Patriot's Day, Memorial Day as well as Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's Day and 4th of July. All are paid. I take 2 unpaid vacations per year - one in July and one between Christmas and New Year.

When I first started out, I didn't take the "little" Monday holidays off. I decided to take them when my kids were in school so I could enjoy them and they could enjoy their home with no other kids there. I had also started to resent the parents who had the day off but would drop their kids off for me to watch my own kids and theirs while they left to have fun. I decided I wanted the holidays off, too, so I changed my policy to include them.
ShellsByTheSeashore 09:23 AM 02-19-2019
Neither my husband or I had the day off yesterday or MLK day, so I'm glad my daycare was open as usual. He works in telecommunications and I work for a software company. The only parents that get off must work for a bank or school or something like that, so this is quite interesting to think about. Thanks for the thoughts.
Tags:days off, presidents day
Reply Up