Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Aspartame
dEHmom 05:51 AM 04-11-2011
this is an email I got this morning.

eta: as mentioned in follow up post, I realize this is an email and will be mixed with both fact and lies. But aspartame is dangerous, especially for children. I want to mention though, there is a lot of truth in the email, and you may have to decipher through the fact/fiction by researching it for yourself. I did not read the whole email, I just skimmed it.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

A MUST READ TO THE END!

In October of 2001, my sister started getting very sick She had stomach spasms and she was having a hard time getting around. Walking was a major chore. It took everything she had just to get out of bed; she was in so much pain.

By March 2002, she had undergone several tissue and muscle biopsies and was on 24 various prescription medications. The doctors could not determine what was wrong with her. She was in so much pain, and so sick she just knew she was dying.

She put her house, bank accounts, life insurance, etc., in her oldest daughter's name, and made sure that her younger children were to be taken care of.

She also wanted her last hooray, so she planned a trip to Florida (basically in a wheelchair) for March 22nd.

On March 19, I called her to ask how her most recent tests went, and she said they didn't find anything on the test, but they believe she had MS.

I recalled an article a friend of mine e-mailed to me and I asked my sister if she drank diet soda? She told me that she did. As a matter of fact, she was getting ready to crack one open that moment.

I told her not to open it, and to stop drinking the diet soda! I e-mailed her an article my friend, a lawyer, had sent. My sister called me within 32 hours after our phone conversation and told me she had stopped drinking the diet soda AND she could walk! The muscle spasms went away. She said she didn't feel 100% but, she sure felt a lot better.

She told me she was going to her doctor with this article and would call me when she got home.

Well, she called me, and said her doctor was amazed! He is going to call all of his MS patients to find out if they consumed artificial sweeteners of any kind. In a nutshell, she was being poisoned by the Aspartame in the diet soda.. and literally dying a slow and miserable death.

When she got to Florida March 22, all she had to take was one pill, and that was a pill for the Aspartame poisoning! She is well on her way to a complete recovery. And she is walking! No wheelchair! This article saved her life.

If it says 'SUGAR FREE' on the label; DO NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT IT!

I have spent several days lecturing at the WORLD ENVIRONMENTAL CONFERENCE on 'ASPARTAME,' marketed as'Nutra Sweet,' 'Equal,' and 'Spoonful.'

In the keynote address by the EPA, it was announced that in the United States in 2001 there is an epidemic of multiple sclerosis and systemic lupus. It was difficult to determine exactly what toxin was causing this to be rampant. I stood up and said that I was there to lecture on exactly that subject.

I will explain why Aspartame is so dangerous: When the temperature of this sweetener exceeds 86 degrees F, the wood alcohol in ASPARTAME converts to formaldehyde and then to formic acid, which in turn causes metabolic acidosis. Formic acid is the poison found in the sting of fire ants. The methanol toxicity mimics, among other conditions, multiple sclerosis and systemic lupus.

Many people were being diagnosed in error. Although multiple sclerosis is not a death sentence, Methanol toxicity is!

Systemic lupus has become almost as rampant as multiple sclerosis, especially with Diet Coke and Diet Pepsi drinkers.

The victim usually does not know that the Aspartame is the culprit. He or she continues its use; irritating the lupus to such a degree that it may become a life-threatening condition. We have seen patients with systemic lupus become asymptotic, once taken off diet sodas.

In cases of those diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis, most of the symptoms disappear. We've seen many cases where vision loss re- turned and hearing loss improved markedly.

This also applies to cases of tinnitus and fibromyalgia. During a lecture, I said, 'If you are using ASPARTAME (Nutra Sweet, Equal, Spoonful, etc) and you suffer from fibromyalgia symptoms, spasms, shooting, pains, numbness in your legs,
Cramps,
Vertigo,
Dizziness,
Headaches,
Tinnitus,
Joint pain,
Unexplainable depression, anxiety attacks, slurred speech, blurred vision, or memory loss you probably have ASPARTAME poisoning!' People were jumping up during the lecture saying,'I have some of these symptoms. Is it reversible?'

Yes!
Yes!
Yes!
STOP drinking diet sodas and be alert for Aspartame on food labels! Many products are fortified with it! This is a serious problem. Dr. Espart (one of my speakers) remarked that so many people seem to be symptomatic for MS and during his recent visit to a hospice; a nurse stated that six of her friends, who were heavy Diet Coke addicts, had all been diagnosed with MS. This is beyond coincidence!

Diet soda is NOT a diet product! It is a chemically altered, multiple SODIUM (salt) and ASPARTAME containing product that actually makes you crave carbohydrates.

It is far more likely to make you GAIN weight!

These products also contain formaldehyde, which stores in the fat cells, particularly in the hips and thighs. Formaldehyde is an absolute toxin and is used primarily to preserve 'tissue specimens.'

Many products we use every day contain this chemical but we SHOULD NOT store it IN our body!

Dr. H. J. Roberts stated in his lectures that once free of the 'diet products' and with no significant increase in exercise; his patients lost an average of 19 pounds over a trial period.

Aspartame is especially dangerous for diabetics. We found that some physicians, who believed that they had a patient with retinopathy, in fact, had symptoms caused by Aspartame. The Aspartame drives the blood sugar out of control. Thus diabetics may suffer acute memory loss due to the fact that aspartic acid and phenylalanine are NEUROTOXIC when taken without the other amino acids necessary for a good balance.

Treating diabetes is all about BALANCE. Especially with diabetics, the Aspartame passes the blood/brain barrier and it then deteriorates the neurons of the brain; causing various levels of brain damage, Seizures, Depression, Manic depression, Panic attacks, Uncontrollable anger and rage.

Consumption of Aspartame causes these same symptoms in non-diabetics as well. Documentation and observation also reveal that thousands of children diagnosed with ADD and ADHD have had complete turnarounds in their behavior when these chemicals have been removed from their diet.

So called 'behavior modification prescription drugs' (Ritalin and others) are no longer needed.Truth be told, they were never NEEDED in the first place!

Most of these children were being 'poisoned' on a daily basis with the very foods that were 'better for them than sugar.'

It is also suspected that the Aspartame in thousands of pallets of diet Coke and diet Pepsi consumed by men and women fighting in the Gulf War, may be partially to blame for the well-known Gulf War Syndrome.

Dr. Roberts warns that it can cause birth defects, i.e. mental retardation, if taken at the time of conception and during early pregnancy. Children are especially at risk for neurological disorders and should NEVER be given artificial sweeteners.

There are many different case histories to relate of children suffering grand mal seizures and other neurological disturbances talking about a plague of neurological diseases directly caused by the use of this deadly poison.'

Herein lies the problem: There were Congressional Hearings when Aspartame was included in 100 different products and strong ob-jection was made concerning its use. Since this initial hearing, there have been two subsequent hearings, and still nothing has been done. The drug and chemical lobbies have very deep pockets.

Sadly, MONSANTO'S patent on Aspartame has EXPIRED! There are now over 5,000 products on the market that contain this deadly chemical and there will be thousands more introduced. Everybody wants a 'piece of the Aspartame pie.'

I assure you that MONSANTO, the creator of Aspartame, knows how deadly it is.

And isn't it ironic that MONSANTO funds, among others, the American Diabetes Association, the American Dietetic Association and the Conference of the American College of Physicians?

This has been recently exposed in the New York Times. These [organizations] cannot criticize any additives or convey their link to MONSANTO because they take money from the food industry and are required to endorse their products.

Senator Howard Metzenbaum wrote and presented a bill that would require label warnings on products containing Aspartame, especially regarding pregnant women, children and infants.

The bill would also institute independent studies on the known dangers and the problems existing in the general population regarding seizures, changes in brain chemistry, neurological changes and behavioral symptoms.
The bill was killed.

It is known that the powerful drug and chemical lobbies are responsible for this, letting loose the hounds of disease and death on an unsuspecting and uninformed public. Well, you're informed now!
momofsix 06:00 AM 04-11-2011
A link to snope.com's response to this exact letter.

http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/aspartame.asp
Meyou 06:03 AM 04-11-2011
Originally Posted by momofsix:
A link to snope.com's response to this exact letter.

http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/aspartame.asp
I was just going to post this...
marniewon 06:06 AM 04-11-2011
I've read all of the above and then some years ago.

I've been "preaching" the harmful effects of aspartame for years. My family and friends think I'm some radical doomsayer and won't listen. So I've taken to saying that "my body cannot handle aspartame". And it can't. In the very tiniest portions every great once in a while I can handle it, but nowhere near like drinking a diet soda daily. It's poison. This email is correct. Monsanto KNOWS it's poison, but it's making them way too much money to let anyone regulate it. Same with HFCS. Whereas it's not poison so much as it's really not good for your body, the makers know this and promote it as "a healthy form of sugar" anyway. (<quotes are mine, I do not have a quote from anyone that states this, but if you google it, you will find plenty).

dEHmom, not sure if, by posting this, you are for or against it, but thought I would jump in with my 2 cents anyway!

Guess I need to edit my post since snopes says this email is bogus. The email may be bogus, but the claims in it are not. I've researched aspartame for years now, and what the email says has been found to be true. If you don't think so, google it. You will find 1000's of claims of problems people have had when ingesting aspartame.
laundrymom 06:09 AM 04-11-2011
Not a scientific study but when I stopped diet coke,.... No more migraines. :-)
dEHmom 06:11 AM 04-11-2011
while I completely realize the email will not be 100% fact/truthful, I, along with marnie, have commented on aspartame in other threads before.

Someone always tries to make their case by exagerating. I do believe aspartame can cause many health issues, as it does trigger responses in the human body including the brain.

Aspartame is by no means natural, or safe for ingestion by anyone. But the effects of it, I linked in some other thread, on children is extremely dangerous.
jen 06:13 AM 04-11-2011
Originally Posted by Meyou:
I was just going to post this...
LOL...me too!
Meyou 06:18 AM 04-11-2011
I have no doubt aspartame is harmful...most things chemically made instead of occuring naturally are harmful in some degree to our bodies. My dad for one gets terrible migraines when he drinks any artificial sweetener other than sucralose (which is the one derived from real sugar I think).

However there is a huge difference between headaches or feeling tired and MS and lupus. I would like some proof before I start turning away artificial sweeteners at the door and panicing about it. I get headaches when I eat too much processed food not to mention the long, intimate sessions with the potty that follow but I haven't banned chips and dip yet.

I'm also quite interested to know what levels of aspartame we're talking about. I have an uncle that drinks 2L + of diet pop everyday and loves artificially sweetened treats because he is diabetic. Obviously he would be at more risk (if this info is accurate in anyway) than someone who has an occasional diet pop.
thecrazyisout 06:20 AM 04-11-2011
I too have been advised to not consume aspartame because of my ADD, once I was able to take it out of my diet and use sugar instead, I did feel a huge difference in my thought process and what not. Not saying this is any study either, but FYI.....

I never read my junk mail or forwards because I would rather research items myself instead of having the information handed to me.....

But, I could have a lot of friends that forward me CR#* instead of useful information....
dEHmom 06:23 AM 04-11-2011
Originally Posted by marniewon:
I've read all of the above and then some years ago.

I've been "preaching" the harmful effects of aspartame for years. My family and friends think I'm some radical doomsayer and won't listen. So I've taken to saying that "my body cannot handle aspartame". And it can't. In the very tiniest portions every great once in a while I can handle it, but nowhere near like drinking a diet soda daily. It's poison. This email is correct. Monsanto KNOWS it's poison, but it's making them way too much money to let anyone regulate it. Same with HFCS. Whereas it's not poison so much as it's really not good for your body, the makers know this and promote it as "a healthy form of sugar" anyway. (<quotes are mine, I do not have a quote from anyone that states this, but if you google it, you will find plenty).

dEHmom, not sure if, by posting this, you are for or against it, but thought I would jump in with my 2 cents anyway!

Guess I need to edit my post since snopes says this email is bogus. The email may be bogus, but the claims in it are not. I've researched aspartame for years now, and what the email says has been found to be true. If you don't think so, google it. You will find 1000's of claims of problems people have had when ingesting aspartame.

snopes says it's false because of the claims of brains tumors, cancers and MS. So you and me marnie are right

problems is this, stated right in your last sentence.....they have not "scientifically proven" this. doesn't mean that it's not true!

There is lots of counts of people stating the effects aspartame has had on them. Basically it's 1000's of people saying that is a truth, their own scientific basis for no longer using aspartame because it caused this effect on them....but because a scientist hasn't done the study in a lab, or simply has not submitted to the public reports of it they are saying it's false because there is no scientific fact.
dEHmom 06:29 AM 04-11-2011
oh and I just wanted to throw this in there...

they have done a study, and proved it, that more then 2 Cups of pop a week increases your chances of pancreatic cancer by like 80 or 85% (it's been a few months so I don't remember exactly the number). There is not the greatest survival rate of pancreatic cancer either....
safechner 06:45 AM 04-11-2011
Yea, I know about this. My husband is not allowed for me and the kids to eat kind of that stuff or drinks that has Aspartame for a LONG, LONG time...
Blackcat31 06:45 AM 04-11-2011
I'm beginning to think that there is really nothing "safe" to eat anymore unless we grew it ourselves......

10. Ice Cream—Sorry, I know just about everyone loves ice cream, but today’s ice cream is not only full of sugar, most of it is also loaded with trans fats, artificial colors and flavors, many of which are known neurotoxins (brain-and nervous-system damaging chemicals). Of course, there are healthier varieties, but most ice cream is hazardous to your health.

9. Corn and Tortilla Chips—Since the advent of genetically-modified foods, most corn we eat is a health-damaging frankenfood. Corn causes rapid blood sugar fluctuations, which you may notice as mood-swings, weight gain, or irritability, among other symptoms. Most are fried in oils that have turned rancid and are linked to inflammation.

8. Pizza—While not all pizza is bad, most of the commercially available and frozen pizza on the market is full of artificial dough conditioners and preservatives. It is made from white flour that has been bleached and reacts in your body just like sugar, causing weight gain and blood sugar imbalances.

7. French Fries—Not only do French fries typically contain trans fats that have been linked to a long list of diseases, they contain one of the most potent carcinogenic substances in food—acrylamide. Acrylamide is formed when white potatoes are heated at high temperatures. Additionally, most of the oils used for frying turn rancid in the presence of oxygen or at high temperatures, resulting in foods that cause inflammation in the body. And, researchers are discovering that inflammation is a factor in many serious health conditions, including: heart disease, cancer, and arthritis.

6. Potato Chips—Potato chips offer all the health benefits (none) of French fries, but according to Health Canada, potato chips typically contain the highest levels of acrylamide, which is a carcinogen.

5. Bacon—Yes, bacon! Sorry bacon lovers. According to research in the journal, Circulation, daily consumption of processed meats like bacon can increase the risk of heart disease by 42 percent and diabetes by 19 percent. A study at the University of Columbia found that eating bacon 14 times a month was linked to damaged lung function and an increased risk of lung disease.

4. Hot Dogs—A study at the University of Hawaii found that consumption of hot dogs and other processed meats increased risk of pancreatic cancer by 67 percent. One of the ingredients found in both bacon and hot dogs is sodium nitrite. This carcinogen has been linked to leukemia in children and brain tumors in infants. Other studies show that sodium nitrate also promotes colorectal cancer.

3. Doughnuts—Most doughnuts are 35 to 40 percent trans fats—the worst kind of fat you can eat. Trans fats are linked to heart- and brain-diseases as well as cancer. That’s before you consider the sugar and artificial dough conditioners and food additives many doughnuts contain. The average doughnut also contains about 300 calories.

2. Soda—According to research reported by Dr. Joseph Mercola, “one can of soda has about 10 teaspoons of sugar, 150 calories, 30 to 55 mg of caffeine, and is loaded with artificial food colors and sulphites.” That alone should make you rethink your soda habit. But, soda is also extremely acidic. It takes over 30 cups of pH-balanced water to neutralize the acidity of one cola. This acid residue can be extremely hard on the kidneys since they have to filter it. Additionally, the bones act as mineral reservoirs. Alkaline minerals like calcium are dumped into the blood to help neutralize acidity, which can weaken the bones over time. In studies, soda is also linked to osteoporosis, obesity, tooth decay, and heart disease.

1. Diet Soda—Not only does diet soda contain most of the problems of regular soda, it contains aspartame, now called AminoSweet. According to research by Lynne Melcombe, author of Health Hazards of White Sugar, aspartame is linked to the following health conditions: anxiety attacks; binge-eating and sugar cravings; birth defects; blindness; brain tumors; chest pain; depression; dizziness; epilepsy; fatigue; headaches and migraines; hearing loss; heart palpitations; hyperactivity; insomnia; joint pain; learning disabilities; PMS; muscle cramps; reproductive problems; and even death. Aspartame’s effects can be mistaken for Alzheimer’s disease, chronic fatigue syndrome, epilepsy, Epstein-Barr virus, Huntington’s chorea, hypothyroidism, Lou Gehrig’s disease; Lyme disease, Ménière’s disease

Just reading this list makes me not want to eat.
dEHmom 06:58 AM 04-11-2011
Thank you Blackcat... that was full of info!

I just thought of something...

my MIL constantly eats fat free, low fat, diet stuff. She does not workout or anything but does walk alot. in the years that I've known her, she has always been really shakey (EXTREMELY SHAKEY, you would think she was a vibrator!), it's only gotten worse over the years. And she has GAINED a lot of weight, ALOT of weight. (chuckles).
SandeeAR 07:04 AM 04-11-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I'm beginning to think that there is really nothing "safe" to eat anymore unless we grew it ourselves......

10. Ice Cream—Sorry, I know just about everyone loves ice cream, but today’s ice cream is not only full of sugar, most of it is also loaded with trans fats, artificial colors and flavors, many of which are known neurotoxins (brain-and nervous-system damaging chemicals). Of course, there are healthier varieties, but most ice cream is hazardous to your health.

9. Corn and Tortilla Chips—Since the advent of genetically-modified foods, most corn we eat is a health-damaging frankenfood. Corn causes rapid blood sugar fluctuations, which you may notice as mood-swings, weight gain, or irritability, among other symptoms. Most are fried in oils that have turned rancid and are linked to inflammation.

8. Pizza—While not all pizza is bad, most of the commercially available and frozen pizza on the market is full of artificial dough conditioners and preservatives. It is made from white flour that has been bleached and reacts in your body just like sugar, causing weight gain and blood sugar imbalances.

7. French Fries—Not only do French fries typically contain trans fats that have been linked to a long list of diseases, they contain one of the most potent carcinogenic substances in food—acrylamide. Acrylamide is formed when white potatoes are heated at high temperatures. Additionally, most of the oils used for frying turn rancid in the presence of oxygen or at high temperatures, resulting in foods that cause inflammation in the body. And, researchers are discovering that inflammation is a factor in many serious health conditions, including: heart disease, cancer, and arthritis.

6. Potato Chips—Potato chips offer all the health benefits (none) of French fries, but according to Health Canada, potato chips typically contain the highest levels of acrylamide, which is a carcinogen.

5. Bacon—Yes, bacon! Sorry bacon lovers. According to research in the journal, Circulation, daily consumption of processed meats like bacon can increase the risk of heart disease by 42 percent and diabetes by 19 percent. A study at the University of Columbia found that eating bacon 14 times a month was linked to damaged lung function and an increased risk of lung disease.

4. Hot Dogs—A study at the University of Hawaii found that consumption of hot dogs and other processed meats increased risk of pancreatic cancer by 67 percent. One of the ingredients found in both bacon and hot dogs is sodium nitrite. This carcinogen has been linked to leukemia in children and brain tumors in infants. Other studies show that sodium nitrate also promotes colorectal cancer.

3. Doughnuts—Most doughnuts are 35 to 40 percent trans fats—the worst kind of fat you can eat. Trans fats are linked to heart- and brain-diseases as well as cancer. That’s before you consider the sugar and artificial dough conditioners and food additives many doughnuts contain. The average doughnut also contains about 300 calories.

2. Soda—According to research reported by Dr. Joseph Mercola, “one can of soda has about 10 teaspoons of sugar, 150 calories, 30 to 55 mg of caffeine, and is loaded with artificial food colors and sulphites.” That alone should make you rethink your soda habit. But, soda is also extremely acidic. It takes over 30 cups of pH-balanced water to neutralize the acidity of one cola. This acid residue can be extremely hard on the kidneys since they have to filter it. Additionally, the bones act as mineral reservoirs. Alkaline minerals like calcium are dumped into the blood to help neutralize acidity, which can weaken the bones over time. In studies, soda is also linked to osteoporosis, obesity, tooth decay, and heart disease.

1. Diet Soda—Not only does diet soda contain most of the problems of regular soda, it contains aspartame, now called AminoSweet. According to research by Lynne Melcombe, author of Health Hazards of White Sugar, aspartame is linked to the following health conditions: anxiety attacks; binge-eating and sugar cravings; birth defects; blindness; brain tumors; chest pain; depression; dizziness; epilepsy; fatigue; headaches and migraines; hearing loss; heart palpitations; hyperactivity; insomnia; joint pain; learning disabilities; PMS; muscle cramps; reproductive problems; and even death. Aspartame’s effects can be mistaken for Alzheimer’s disease, chronic fatigue syndrome, epilepsy, Epstein-Barr virus, Huntington’s chorea, hypothyroidism, Lou Gehrig’s disease; Lyme disease, Ménière’s disease

Just reading this list makes me not want to eat.

But, But, But.......That is ALL my favorite foods!!!!!
Blackcat31 07:07 AM 04-11-2011
Originally Posted by dEHmom:
Thank you Blackcat... that was full of info!

I just thought of something...

my MIL constantly eats fat free, low fat, diet stuff. She does not workout or anything but does walk alot. in the years that I've known her, she has always been really shakey (EXTREMELY SHAKEY, you would think she was a vibrator!), it's only gotten worse over the years. And she has GAINED a lot of weight, ALOT of weight. (chuckles).
Yeah when my DH became diabetic we started reading labels and the first thing we learned was that "diet", "sugar-free", "low-fat" and "fat-free" are all buzz words that are marketing ploys and so untruthful.
dEHmom 07:09 AM 04-11-2011
Yeah when my DH became diabetic we started reading labels and the first thing we learned was that "diet", "sugar-free", "low-fat" and "fat-free" are all buzz words that are marketing ploys and so untruthful.
oh yeah, and it was mentioned in that email on op, and i've said it before elsewhere, that when you eat/drink diet stuff, your body is preparing for all this sugar because you are fooling it with the artificial sweeteners, so you actually indulge in more garbage!

when I worked in a restaurant, those who ordered a diet pop, had 2 or 3 before their dinner even came (or finished). Those who had a regular, usually only had 1 MAYBE 2.
dEHmom 07:12 AM 04-11-2011
Originally Posted by SandeeAR:
But, But, But.......That is ALL my favorite foods!!!!!
thats what I was thinking!!!!! lol.

I used to be a big pop (pepsi/coke) drinker. coke now really upsets my tummy, and it triggers my RLS (restless leg syndrome). pepsi does not, I could drink a pepsi before bed, and sleep like a baby, but coke after 4pm, and I'm up all night.

Now I basically drink coffee all day, and then I usually have juice (iced tea, lemonaid, apple juice or cranberry juice, etc) in the evening. Not the greatest choices but better than coffee all day and pop all evenings It's a step up. I barely drink pop anymore, and honestly, when I do I don't enjoy it that much. UNLESS....there is amaretto in there
ninosqueridos 08:25 AM 04-11-2011
oh great, I just made a switch to diet soda from regular soda thinking it would be a good idea
Meyou 08:31 AM 04-11-2011
I don't eat anything on that list other that diet pop which I know is awful for me. It's my only weakness and I just can't shake it.
Symphony 08:40 AM 04-11-2011
I don't eat anything on that list other that diet pop which I know is awful for me. It's my only weakness and I just can't shake it.
The best pop for you health wise is anything made with real sugar, "Throwback Pepsi" for example or Mexican Coke.

That being said, I drink a sprite zero every night when I'm not pregnant. It's like my after work drink
Meyou 08:43 AM 04-11-2011
Originally Posted by Symphony:
The best pop for you health wise is anything made with real sugar, "Throwback Pepsi" for example or Mexican Coke.

That being said, I drink a sprite zero every night when I'm not pregnant. It's like my after work drink
I've tried to switch to regular pepsi but it tastes gross to me. I've cut back considerably but the diet pepsi crack just keeps making me crawl back to the fridge. lol
Symphony 08:49 AM 04-11-2011
I've tried to switch to regular pepsi but it tastes gross to me. I've cut back considerably but the diet pepsi crack just keeps making me crawl back to the fridge. lol
The regular pepsi is fake sugar, the throwback pepsi is real sugar, what it used to be made with before HFCS was a staple in our lives. I personally don't care for pop that isn't diet in any form either though! I was just posted what the "best" health option is if you are going to drink it.

I was reading a magazine this weekend that had recipes for homemade pop made with juice and sparkling water as the base. Those might be good! With all our spare time right?
Meyou 08:52 AM 04-11-2011
I didn't know the throwback was different sugar. I'll try that one and see if it tastes better for me.
SilverSabre25 09:02 AM 04-11-2011
I didn't know the throwback was different sugar. I'll try that one and see if it tastes better for me.
ooohhhh, Pepsi Throwback is GOOD. It's SO MUCH better than regular...and I'm a Coke girl, lol. I LOVE Pepsi throwback!
Meyou 09:16 AM 04-11-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
ooohhhh, Pepsi Throwback is GOOD. It's SO MUCH better than regular...and I'm a Coke girl, lol. I LOVE Pepsi throwback!
Would it be wrong to wake the kids up from nap to walk to the grocery store for some???? I NEED to try it now.
E Daycare 09:17 AM 04-11-2011
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
I dont drink pop but when I eat yogurt with aspartame I get horrible headaches too. So I stopped and no more migraines!
E Daycare 09:23 AM 04-11-2011
Originally Posted by Symphony:

My husband drinks Mexican coke and Jones. Id prefer he switch to water so my son doesnt see him drinking it (as I drink nothing but water and the occasional skim Milk) but he cant kick the junk. When I became pregnant I changed all my habits (except popcorn, I have to have the salt from that), cut out on all processed crap, fake sugars, white flour etc... My son eats better then most adults who know better so I hope he continues and fat America doesnt bring him over to the "dark side". LMAO

Salt is next. I just cant stop with the popcorn. Grrrrr
marniewon 09:55 AM 04-11-2011
Originally Posted by E Daycare:

Salt is good for you if you use sea salt. It doesn't cause your blood pressure to rise like regular salt and it provides a lot of minerals that your body needs and doesn't usually get anywhere else. I use RealSalt brand that you can find in most grocery stores and probably any health food stores.

I have to second the awesomeness of Pepsi Throwback!! I rarely drink pop at all, but when I do, that's what I drink.
E Daycare 09:58 AM 04-11-2011
Salt is good for you if you use sea salt. It doesn't cause your blood pressure to rise like regular salt and it provides a lot of minerals that your body needs and doesn't usually get anywhere else. I use RealSalt brand that you can find in most grocery stores and probably any health food stores.

I have to second the awesomeness of Pepsi Throwback!! I rarely drink pop at all, but when I do, that's what I drink.
I switched to sea salt and cane sugar a while back. I still feel I use too much though lol.
Blackcat31 10:01 AM 04-11-2011

There doesn't seem to be any evidence that states that sea salt is any better for you than regular salt. I think getting the proper amount is the key...not too much and not too little.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/sea-salt/AN01142
momofsix 10:15 AM 04-11-2011
Originally Posted by E Daycare:
I HAVE to eat salt! My blood pressure is always very (too) low, so lots of salty foods and lots of liquids for me!

I used to drink a lot of diet coke, had to switch to caffiene free b/c of my heart. I used to drink a lot of that. I quit for about 3 months to see if it would help me in feeling any better, but didn't notice anything at all. That was my "study" Different things effect people differently especially if they have allergies/sensetivities. Now I drink maybe one can per day. I just really crave water so much instead, I always have water with me.

To me pop with sugar tastes like pancake syrup
marniewon 10:46 AM 04-11-2011
There doesn't seem to be any evidence that states that sea salt is any better for you than regular salt. I think getting the proper amount is the key...not too much and not too little.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/sea-salt/AN01142
From Dr. Mercola:

Finally, when the topic of salt intake is discussed, very few people consider the type of salt being consumed. There are some major differences between the standard, refined, table salt most of you are used to, and unrefined, sea salt, or "real salt."

Conventional Salt vs. Sea Salt: What'sthe difference?

Conventional table salt contains approximately 97.5 percent sodium chloride and 2.5 percent chemicals, such as moisture absorbents, and iodine. Unrefined sea salts, like Himalayan Salt, contain approximately 84 percent sodium chloride and 16 percent additional minerals. Some of these minerals, such as magnesium, can actually be helpful in cases of asthma.

Conventional salt is dried at over 1,200 degrees Fahrenheit -- this amount of heat changes the chemical structure of the salt.

Conventional processing adds harmful additives and chemicals to salt.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...lt-asthma.aspx

(Blackcat (and anyone else reading) - I just want you to know that I'm not arguing with you by posting a link that says opposite of what you posted. There is so much info out there that I thought I would just put another perspective out there. When I was searching for health info, I always appreciated as many perspectives as I could find. That's all ).
Blackcat31 11:10 AM 04-11-2011
(Blackcat (and anyone else reading) - I just want you to know that I'm not arguing with you by posting a link that says opposite of what you posted. There is so much info out there that I thought I would just put another perspective out there. When I was searching for health info, I always appreciated as many perspectives as I could find. That's all ).
You're not?!?!....cuz I love a good debate!!! LOL!! I am kidding! I just happen to come across the link I posted when doing a paper on nutrition and posted it here since salt was brought up....I actually prefer sea salt and use if more often than regular salt.

My family and I are trying to make the change to not using salt at all and using foods natural flavoring for tastes and adding Mrs Dash type flavors instead. I think there is enough sodium in the regular foods we eat to get the proper amount of sodium that our diets should have.

Anything that is natural should definitely be better for us than anything processed. The biggest thing my DH and I argue about now though is real butter versus "fake" butter and which is better. I am going with the real is better. Atleast my body knows what to do with things that are natural compared to processed fake stuff.
marniewon 11:34 AM 04-11-2011
You're not?!?!....cuz I love a good debate!!! LOL!! I am kidding! I just happen to come across the link I posted when doing a paper on nutrition and posted it here since salt was brought up....I actually prefer sea salt and use if more often than regular salt.

My family and I are trying to make the change to not using salt at all and using foods natural flavoring for tastes and adding Mrs Dash type flavors instead. I think there is enough sodium in the regular foods we eat to get the proper amount of sodium that our diets should have.

Anything that is natural should definitely be better for us than anything processed. The biggest thing my DH and I argue about now though is real butter versus "fake" butter and which is better. I am going with the real is better. Atleast my body knows what to do with things that are natural compared to processed fake stuff.
Well, I love a good debate, but naptime is almost over.....LOL.

I agree that anything natural is better than processed. If I were rich and didn't have to work and had servants (ha ha ha!!) I would grow/raise my own food and only eat that. Since I'm not any of the above, I do the best I can for my family. That's not to say that I'm perfect (love me a junior whopper with cheese every great once in a while, or pizza, or french fries, or, or ,or....I think you get the picture!!) but I do the best that I can with the knowledge and resources that I have .

I've actually started using other spices on my food too, spices that I used to dislike, but have realized they are pretty good. But.....I still can't give up the salt. It's like the other spices complement the salt, not replace it.

I think part of the problem is that there are sooooo many things that are (potentially) bad for you that if you tried to avoid everything, or worried over everything, one would quickly go insane or develop some really bad eating disorder!

As for butter - you have my vote! Real butter here or nothing! It kills me to spend so much money on butter, especially when you can get margarine for pennies usually, but dh and I can't stand the taste of margarine, and I just know that it isn't good for me. I heard somewhere that margarine has the same components in it as plastic? I can't imagine that being very good for my body.
kidkair 11:43 AM 04-11-2011
Those of you who switch to sea salt just keep in mind that sea salt doesn't have iodine added and you do need to still get iodine. I don't eat a lot of food with salt and never have. I need to take iodine supplements (kelp pills) because I don't eat enough iodized salt. Just wanted to throw that out just in case someone needed that info.

As for the top ten list of bad foods: I haven't had most of that in the last 2 years since starting my daycare. When I started following the food program I began to be much more aware of what I was making and eating during my dinners and weekends outside of work. I already at healthy for the most part but now I eat healthy all the time and even request additions of veggies or fruit to meals I have at other peoples houses to stay balanced. One thing I'm still a little short on is Omega 3 which helps relieve inflammation.

Oh and I'm all for the real butter too. I too heard that margarine is like plastic and that made me stop eating it right then.
AfterSchoolMom 11:53 AM 04-11-2011
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
Me too! I used to have a 40'ish oz. per day diet soda habit, and suffered from horrible migraines and daily headaches (I took at least 3 extra strength tylenol every single day of my life). I can't imagine what the combo was doing to me!

I gave up all soda in January, and it's been a bit over 3 months now, and I MAY get a headache once every couple of weeks. I don't drink coffee either, so I'm totally caffeine free.

Also, since you're talking about it, we do use sea salt as well. Now if I could only manage to cut out all of the other stuff on that list...
daycare 11:57 AM 04-11-2011
I am a huge health nut... I have given up almost anything and everything that is bad for you....everything except two diet sodas a week and a cup of coffee (ok 2 cups) every morning with splenda.... I just can't give everything up....

Small list what I don't eat:
dairy
meat
breads
anything processed, in a box or a bag

So i choose my evils... I figure if this won't get me something else will...lol

Gosh I live such a dangerous life....lol jk
AfterSchoolMom 01:52 PM 04-11-2011
daycare, I'm really, honestly not trying to be a smart alec or bash in any way when I ask...

What DO you eat? In particular, what are your sources of protein?
SilverSabre25 02:02 PM 04-11-2011
Originally Posted by AfterSchoolMom:
daycare, I'm really, honestly not trying to be a smart alec or bash in any way when I ask...

Probably nuts, beans, and other legumes.
daycare 02:20 PM 04-11-2011

anything that grows out of the ground or on trees... you would be shocked what I do eat.... I eat veggie tamales in banana leaves, baked yams, love love figs, salads are my all time fav.
anything egg plant is amazing... stuffed mushrooms, nuts, ohhh love me some nuts...
basically lots of fruits, veggies, and nuts
daycare 02:21 PM 04-11-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
anything that grows out of the ground or on trees... you would be shocked what I do eat.... I eat veggie tamales in banana leaves, baked yams, love love figs, salads are my all time fav.
anything egg plant is amazing... stuffed mushrooms, nuts, ohhh love me some nuts...
lol I hate beans.., but will eat them just to stay alive...yes on the legumes...
kidkair 02:28 PM 04-11-2011
I gave up all soda in January, and it's been a bit over 3 months now, and I MAY get a headache once every couple of weeks. I don't drink coffee either, so I'm totally caffeine free.
Have you given up chocolate too? I suffered bad headaches from caffeine and gave up caffeinated beverages 10+ years ago. I still ate chocolate though and would suffer bad headaches from time to time until I gave up chocolate as well. I've not had chocolate in 2 years and have not had a bad headache in that long as well. Dark chocolate has the most caffeine and white has none but I don't like the taste of white.
jen2651 06:13 PM 04-11-2011
butter, all the way!

My mom always told me...if you couldn't make it with the ingredients listed on the back, you shouldn't be eating it.

My family/daycare doesn't really eat processed foods. We have hotdogs from our meat market (not that they are SUPER good for you) and the occasional frozen pizza (or papa murpheys) but most of our stuff is pretty pure...my vice - Velveeta! How does anyone live without it?! I NEED it...it melts so pretty!!

Ps - kiddos love making ziplock back icecream and it reminds eveyone what icecream should taste like!
AfterSchoolMom 03:50 AM 04-12-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
So no eggs either? I'm really interested in all natural eating!
dEHmom 05:18 AM 04-12-2011
hemp is a great source of protein, omegas, etc!!!!!!!

Honestly, we are trying to eat healthier, but I love my crap foods, and my motto is "you only live once, might as well enjoy it!" even if my life is short, i'd rather go out knowing I enjoyed everything lol.

besides, I never want to be old

My dad made a remark one time when we were visiting him, and I can't remember exactly what it is, but he told us to shut up, because all his life he was told this was good to eat, that was bad to eat, and they reversed it again now, so he said screw em all, he'll eat what he wants for the last few years of his life and he will enjoy them. (he had a heart attack while having gall bladder surgery) but he's got an incredibly strong and healthy heart for his age, and he has been a smoker for 50 years.
dEHmom 05:24 AM 04-12-2011
Originally Posted by jen2651:
butter, all the way!

My mom always told me...if you couldn't make it with the ingredients listed on the back, you shouldn't be eating it.

My family/daycare doesn't really eat processed foods. We have hotdogs from our meat market (not that they are SUPER good for you) and the occasional frozen pizza (or papa murpheys) but most of our stuff is pretty pure...my vice - Velveeta! How does anyone live without it?! I NEED it...it melts so pretty!!

Ps - kiddos love making ziplock back icecream and it reminds eveyone what icecream should taste like!
what is ziplock bag icecream? please tell!!!!!

Velveeta- ew (lol) i use it on macaroni once in a blue moon. I don't like it though, i have 2 boxes in my fridge my dad brought back from the states. it's ridiculously expensive here in canada.

I just wanted to mention...I WILL NEVER GIVE UP CHOCOLATE, NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER!

oh, and I go through caffeine withdrawal if I don't have any. I HAVE to have at least 1 morning coffee, and I used to go through slurpee withdrawal (had one every night before bed) but I no longer do. When we quit smoking (dh and I) everything we used to love makes us sick now. So barely any more slurpees.
marniewon 06:16 AM 04-12-2011
Originally Posted by dEHmom:
what is ziplock bag icecream? please tell!!!!!

Velveeta- ew (lol) i use it on macaroni once in a blue moon. I don't like it though, i have 2 boxes in my fridge my dad brought back from the states. it's ridiculously expensive here in canada.

I just wanted to mention...I WILL NEVER GIVE UP CHOCOLATE, NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER!

oh, and I go through caffeine withdrawal if I don't have any. I HAVE to have at least 1 morning coffee, and I used to go through slurpee withdrawal (had one every night before bed) but I no longer do. When we quit smoking (dh and I) everything we used to love makes us sick now. So barely any more slurpees.
Yum Velveeta!! My mom always used it when we were growing up, but as an adult I just recently re-found it. I know it's soooo bad for you, but I love it!! I love it melted with a can of tomatoes/chili peppers to dip tortilla chips in! (Can you tell I'm dieting?? lol). I also use it to make homemade mac n cheese.

I'd love to know what ziploc ice cream is too!
Blackcat31 06:52 AM 04-12-2011
Yum Velveeta!! My mom always used it when we were growing up, but as an adult I just recently re-found it. I know it's soooo bad for you, but I love it!! I love it melted with a can of tomatoes/chili peppers to dip tortilla chips in! (Can you tell I'm dieting?? lol). I also use it to make homemade mac n cheese.

I'd love to know what ziploc ice cream is too!
I USED to eat Velveeta too, but have since stopped and learned to enjoy other cheeses.... I think my main problem is that I can't get over the fact that it is called "cheese" which is a dairy product, which usually needs to be refrigerated and Velveeta is sold on the shelf....kinda gives it that "ick" factor....

Like those Hersey Chocolate Milk drink boxes...why are they on the shelves and NOT the cooler area!?!?

I just can't seem to get past that part....makes me wonder what exactly they put in those things to make shelf life a possibilty..kwim?
dEHmom 07:00 AM 04-12-2011
I USED to eat Velveeta too, but have since stopped and learned to enjoy other cheeses.... I think my main problem is that I can't get over the fact that it is called "cheese" which is a dairy product, which usually needs to be refrigerated and Velveeta is sold on the shelf....kinda gives it that "ick" factor....

Like those Hersey Chocolate Milk drink boxes...why are they on the shelves and NOT the cooler area!?!?

I just can't seem to get past that part....makes me wonder what exactly they put in those things to make shelf life a possibilty..kwim?
yep same here!!!! I refuse to spend 4 dollars on 3 milk juiceboxes anyway, when for 5 dollars I can get 4 L of chocolate milk, that's cold already

I love cheese, but it has to be real cheese. REAL CHEESE. mmmmm cheeeeeeese. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm *drooling*
Tags:aspartame
Reply Up