Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Is it Weird?
cherryhill 06:36 PM 05-09-2011
I interviewed a client a few weeks ago they decided to sign with me but will not start until September, baby due end of June. They invited me and my family to their baby shower/ BBQ. I was caught off gaurd. Would it be weird to go?
PitterPatter 06:48 PM 05-09-2011
Originally Posted by cherryhill:
I interviewed a client a few weeks ago they decided to sign with me but will not start until September, baby due end of June. They invited me and my family to their baby shower/ BBQ. I was caught off gaurd. Would it be weird to go?
Wow that is odd! It depends on how u feel I guess. I personally wouldn't feel comfortable with ANY new client to attend such a personal event. Perhaps if they were long time clients of a couple years maybe.

Maybe she just want's to get some free gifts.

I'm horrible I know, always the skeptic!
daycare 06:51 PM 05-09-2011
Never mix business and personal. No matter how many years. Unless it's a Childs bday party or sporting event I won't go.

They seem like very nice people wanting to get to know you but stay clear is my advice
GretasLittleFriends 06:55 PM 05-09-2011
It would depend on the "vibes" you got from them during the interview. Maybe since they figure you're going to be a very involved part of baby's life they should invite you?

When I was in the working world I invited my dc lady to functions for the kids, but it was because they spent about 50% of their time with her. I was a single mom and worked Sun, Mon, Tue and every other Wed 7:30a - 8p, so they were there about 645a - 8:30p those days. Then an hour drive home. Waking hours sometimes I think she spent more time with them than I did. She truly was a second mom and a wonderful woman.

She was my inspiration when I moved back home to MN and opened my own business.
nikia 06:57 PM 05-09-2011
I would go. I went to all my daycare kids things I was invited to and I also invited my daycare provider to my kids things. I personally don't think it weird or wrong. You are going to be helping raise their baby its only natural they want a close relationship with you that just my opinion. Also you may risk losing them if they think they can't have a close relationship with you if you don't go.
Symphony 06:59 PM 05-09-2011
I think that is very kind to have been invited and it sounds like they are really excited to use you! I would base my decision to go or not on your community. I live in a teeny tiny town and it is pretty impossible to keep business and personal separate or else we would have neither! I would also think of what type of relationship you like to keep with your other clients. If you enjoy forming friendships with your families I say go for it. If you prefer to keep it strictly business I wouldn't attend.
Meyou 03:40 AM 05-10-2011
I would go. You're the person they've chosen to look after their child. I don't think it's wierd at all to be invited to something related to the child.
melskids 04:17 AM 05-10-2011
i go to most of the functions, but i keep my "professional face" on, if you know what i mean....

we are going to a wedding in june, but i am going as "the daycare provider"

i wont drink, or dance to crazy, or do anything i would normally let loose on if it were my family.

not that i'm being fake or phony, at least i dont think thats what i'm doing. i'll still enjoy myself, and enjoy chatting with everyone there.
Childminder 06:41 AM 05-10-2011
Going would be a great way to network and meet more potential clients.
Lilbutterflie 06:59 AM 05-10-2011
I think they invited you b/c they chose you to be their baby's caretaker. You'll be a very big part of this baby's life! Not every family would do this, but I don't really find it weird that they did. If it were me, I would probably go. I am terribly shy in social situations where I don't really know anybody, but I'd get over it and at least make an appearance. I think it would mean a lot to them.

It's so funny b/c the family I interviewed with (right around the time you did yours) is due in June and they are starting with me Aug 29! I think I'm going to send them a card around the time of the baby's due date to let them know I'll be thinking about them; and if I don't hear from them after she's born I'll probably call in mid July or so to check in, see how things are going, and set up a meeting with them to meet her.
cherryhill 07:42 AM 05-10-2011
Originally Posted by Childminder:
Going would be a great way to network and meet more potential clients.
Never thought of it like that
cherryhill 07:47 AM 05-10-2011
Originally Posted by Lilbutterflie:
I think they invited you b/c they chose you to be their baby's caretaker. You'll be a very big part of this baby's life! Not every family would do this, but I don't really find it weird that they did. If it were me, I would probably go. I am terribly shy in social situations where I don't really know anybody, but I'd get over it and at least make an appearance. I think it would mean a lot to them.

It's so funny b/c the family I interviewed with (right around the time you did yours) is due in June and they are starting with me Aug 29! I think I'm going to send them a card around the time of the baby's due date to let them know I'll be thinking about them; and if I don't hear from them after she's born I'll probably call in mid July or so to check in, see how things are going, and set up a meeting with them to meet her.
Great new! I'm glad you got them. I think I will go. I went to thus kiddie place a few weeks ago with a daycare mom and my daughter. They had fun. I always go to birthday parties I feel like I spend so much time with them that I am glad to be invited.
jen 09:52 AM 05-10-2011
They probably just want to get to know you better...I would probably say something like, "Thanks! I'd love to! We have to be at such and such, but we'll definitely stop by on our way out!"

Then you can make an appearance and be on your way. It could be that they are just very social people!
Live and Learn 09:55 AM 05-10-2011
Originally Posted by jen:
They probably just want to get to know you better...I would probably say something like, "Thanks! I'd love to! We have to be at such and such, but we'll definitely stop by on our way out!"

Then you can make an appearance and be on your way. It could be that they are just very social people!
Yes, this would be me.
Tags:family - friends, interview, weird
Reply Up