Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Daycare After a C-Section
HaveaHoot 08:08 AM 05-24-2012
Good morning! I'm fairly new to daycare (been doing it since September) and am 16 weeks pregnant with my second child. I had a fairly quick and positive birth with my son and recovered super fast. So I planned on taking only 2-3 weeks off after the birth of my second baby. Yesterday I found out I have partial placenta previa which would mean if it doesn't correct itself I will need a c-section.

Although I might not need a c-section for sure yet I was wondering if anyone had any experience with recovering from a c-section and doing daycare? When did you feel ok to work again? When were you physically able to do the job? My group will be 2 one year olds and 2 two year olds when I give birth. I want to be able to prepare my families as best as I can since I have a great group. Thanks for your help!
cheerfuldom 08:12 AM 05-24-2012
oh this sounds like it could be pretty bad. I've heard that you cant lift anything heavier than your baby or drive for 6 weeks after a c section. I would not say anything for now but be prepared to take a longer maternity leave. consider hiring an assistant for a month or so if needed.
Country Kids 08:18 AM 05-24-2012
I have had a c=section but was working outside the home at the time. I couldn't return to work for 6 weeks but it turned into 8 as I developed an infection in my uterus. With a c-section you can't lift anything over 10lbs, bending is very hard and you just don't feel yourself.

Seriously, even with an assistant and a newborn and your other child, it might be a little much to do childcare right away. I did have an assistant with the birth of my 3rd child but it was almost harder because I still had to help with certain things and such.

I would almost look into letting your parents know that you will keep them updated but you may be out longer then expected.
Meeko 08:33 AM 05-24-2012
I had a hysterectomy a few years back when I was still using my home as my day care. I set up camp on the couch in the living room and barked orders to my sons and husband!!!! The kids sat around me and I read to them, talked with them....... My hubby took care of the rest when the kids were playing/diapers/meals etc. I could also see the parents as they came and went. It worked for us.

Now not everybody has a husband/family available to help...but could you maybe hire some temporary help?
small_steps 10:25 AM 05-24-2012
Well, I'm one of those that doesn't follow dr orders like I should I guess. At the time I had my youngest child I was working as a daycare director for a center. I didn't have to do any lifting really other than the phone and paperwork. I was back to work one week exactly after I had my baby (not full time, just a couple days a week). I had him at one of our busiest times of the year. I was interviewing potential employees to fill 5 open teacher slots, and also interviewing parents who wanted to bring their children. It was crazy. I wish I had not got back to work so quickly because I didn't really have any kind of break and didn't get to enjoy my new son like I should have.

However, as far as physically I was back to pretty normal after two weeks but this was my second c-section and for me it was a breeze. The first one was I felt a little worse afterward. I don't remember how long I was unable to drive. I don't remember it being six weeks. I think it was just a couple. I wanna said I couldn't drive until I felt like I would be ok if I had to slam on the break. Something like that. With home daycare which I have now, I would probably close for at least 2-3 weeks and maybe have a system in place where I didn't have to lift the babies (changing diapers on the floor, etc.)

Hope that helps some Congrats on the baby
JennyBear 10:37 AM 05-24-2012
I agree with the others. You should play it safe, if you do end up having a c-section and letting the parents know you may need up to 6 weeks off or so. I had a c-section and although I was up and moving around fairly fast I was in a bit of pain and very uncomfortable. To top it off 2 of my staples twisted and caused a bunch of irritation (and pain!!) so that wasn't pleasant.

If you start feeling better sooner you can always contact your parents and let them know you can start again earlier.

Congrats! and hope you have a very healthy pregnancy and delivery!
jokalima 11:09 AM 05-24-2012
I was ordered not to lift, bend, drive or anything similar for 8 weeks. But I had a c-section and a hysterectomy done the same day done in 3 different surgeries so IDK if that to do with the 8 weeks.
SunshineMama 12:20 PM 05-24-2012
I've never had a C section but everything that I have heard about it says to take it easy for a minimum of 6 weeks, 8 is preferable.

You do not want to injure yourself further. Even if you feel okay, you can tear something internally, compromise future children and even your life if you were to get pregnant again, and hurt yourself even worse and be out longer.

I would definitely not say anything to the parents now because you could lose income- what I would do is pray all gets better! And if it does not, by 30 weeks or so, I would look into hiring an assistant to come and help you until you make it past the 8 week post-partum mark.

Please don't gamble with your health. You will have to be in a position to lift a daycare kid at some point, and if you do it too early you could really hurt yourself.

Sending positive thoughts your way that everything heals and gets better!
HaveaHoot 02:52 PM 05-24-2012
Thanks everyone! I think I will make a c-section plan up and when I get closer to my due date I will let the parents know what it is. You have all be a HUGE help!
DCBlessings27 06:03 PM 05-24-2012
I didn't have the daycare until 4 months after my c-section. They had me up and walking the day after my surgery, but it was still a long recovery. I didn't drive anywhere by myself for awhile but don't remember how long.

I'm currently 8 weeks pregnant, so I'm going through this too. I'm going to wait to let my dcps know my plans. I plan on taking 3 months off just because I remember how much pain I went through after the first c-section.
lil angels 06:32 PM 05-24-2012
I had two c sections I was off 4 weeks with the first Nd six with the second. I would have felt ok after A couple of weeks with both but I wanted two spend it with my baby's. I did end up back in the hospital for almost another week with my second and they didn't know what happens I ended up in horrible pain and a fever so they pumped me full of antibiotics and sent me home. It is 6 weeks before you are to lift or drive. But you should feel ok long before that.

Good luck and congrats on the new baby.
Tags:c section, pregnancy, pregnancy - high risk
Reply Up