Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Should I Worry?
Laurel 04:55 AM 08-20-2013
I have always carried daycare liability insurance. We are looking for ways to reduce our insurance on our house also.

My provider friend is also getting new home insurance and the question she had to answer was "Do you run a business from your home?"

I once heard that if you DON'T carry daycare insurance then some homeowner's insurance companies will cancel your house insurance. I DO carry it but am still a bit worried that if I tell them I have this business they might cancel my homeowner's insurance.

The reason I'm asking is that my husband scheduled a guy to come out and do a wind inspection (we live in hurricane country so insurance is sky high anyway) today at noon. If you have a certain kind of roof and hurricane windows, etc. they will reduce your rate. We are NOT changing insurance companies just yet but just trying to get a better rate for the one we have until we can check out others. This guy is not from the insurance company. It is an independent company that the insurance agency recommended.

Now I'm worried about losing my insurance all together.

Should I worry or is having daycare liability insurance a pretty good indication that everything will be okay?

Anyone have any experience with this?

I'm in Florida if it makes a difference.

Thanks, Laurel
mamac 07:31 AM 08-20-2013
I know it stinks but I would definitely let your homeowners insurance company know that you have a daycare. If something serious happens they can refuse the claim based on you breaking the rules for your homeowners policy.

I haven't yet secured separate daycare insurance but I know that when I do I will have to change my homeowners policy because they do not allow daycares. To me, it seems ridiculous because a separate dc policy would mean a claim would come out of that policy not homeowners but it is what it is, I guess.

The company that is offering the daycare insurance should have a list of homeowners companies that will allow a home daycare. At least you won't have to do all the leg work in finding one.

And thanks for reminding me to get my butt moving. I open in less than a week and I completely forgot about this!!
Laurel 07:33 AM 08-20-2013
Originally Posted by mamac:
I know it stinks but I would definitely let your homeowners insurance company know that you have a daycare. If something serious happens they can refuse the claim based on you breaking the rules for your homeowners policy.

I haven't yet secured separate daycare insurance but I know that when I do I will have to change my homeowners policy because they do not allow daycares. To me, it seems ridiculous because a separate dc policy would mean a claim would come out of that policy not homeowners but it is what it is, I guess.

The company that is offering the daycare insurance should have a list of homeowners companies that will allow a home daycare. At least you won't have to do all the leg work in finding one.

And thanks for reminding me to get my butt moving. I open in less than a week and I completely forgot about this!!
It is really hard here in Florida because of hurricanes. It is hard, even if you don't have a daycare, to find affordable insurance. My neighbor doesn't even carry it anymore which is sooo scary to me.

I was afraid they'd deny a claim (if I ever had one) too. After all, my license is public record.

Thanks, Laurel
Blackcat31 07:38 AM 08-20-2013
I'm not in Florida but I have heard lots of providers say their house insurance did get cancelled because they were running a daycare out of their homes...

Sometimes carrying an additional liability policy helps and other times it makes no difference.

You would have to check and see if your carrier specifically allows it or not. Who is your insurance through?
Reply Up