Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Does Anyone Get Creative With Their Meals?
mamac 06:55 AM 10-21-2013
I came across this article and was curious if anyone else did this for their kids.

http://www.artfido.com/blog/artistic...-masterpieces/

And here is her Instagram page: http://instagram.com/leesamantha#

Please share any pics of your masterpieces!
Blackcat31 07:02 AM 10-21-2013
Totally cute but NO way would I do that for my DCK's.

First because I do NOT have that kind of time on my hands

and because I would think it would encourage the kids to play with their food and they already do that on their own

Seriously, those plates are super cute but I can't feasibly see doing something so elaborate...kiwm? Even if it were my own kids and I had nothing better to do, I don't think I would go that far.

It IS a cute idea and I have to admit, I do make pancakes in funny shapes but nothing that compares to this gal.
Blackcat31 07:03 AM 10-21-2013
Oh, and maybe it is just me but didn't all her food/plates seem to have a "dark" or creepy side to them?

Maybe it was all the black foods/items....
craftymissbeth 07:09 AM 10-21-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Oh, and maybe it is just me but didn't all her food/plates seem to have a "dark" or creepy side to them?

A lot of them have a Tim Burton-y feel.

Op- if I were talented enough I'd totally send ds's lunch like that, but not for the dcks. It'd take forever
spinnymarie 07:20 AM 10-21-2013
Wow. THat is not at all what I was expecting to see.
Surely she doesn't let anyone EAT those...?
#1, I can't imagine DCK, including my own, would eat several of those beautiful foods. (broccoli? no problem... broccoli with a SAUCE on it? never.)
#2, ITA, when does she do this? That would take me HOURS! (She's probably super efficient by now I'm sure!)
#3, I have enough trouble getting DCKs to EAT at lunch time, I can't imagine this would make them MORE inclined to eat.
spud912 07:28 AM 10-21-2013
I love what she did! I do get creative, but nowhere to that extent haha! Is it just me, or does it seem like most of her food consists of rice, seaweed, fruit and soup? If it were me actually eating that, I would hate to eat something and ruin the overall picture .

Here are a few of the food items I've done in the past:

daycarediva 07:32 AM 10-21-2013
I do with my own 3 boys lunches.

I do bento style lunches. Today they had a ghost sandwich, a peeled orange with celery stalk pumpkin, grapes skewered to look like ghosts and Halloween fruit snacks.

Their joke (on their napkin) was "Which ghost is the best dancer"

"The boogey man!"
ColorfulSunburst 08:42 AM 10-21-2013
when I see this kind of decoration of any meal I always think: a child has to cut off a head or a leg or some other part of "human/animal" body and to eat it....
A dish as minimum has to have food as maximum healthy food that looks pretty and nice.
melskids 09:04 AM 10-21-2013
Ain't nobody got time for that.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 09:42 AM 10-21-2013
My kids don't like mixed food or things that touch! LOL.. I think those are more about the mom than the kids I would like to see what they actually ate off of the plate.
dingledine 10:06 AM 10-21-2013
I bought the means to do some cute bento box stuff, but I don't have the time. I do occasionally put some cute bento picks into sandwiches to keep them together, and to look cute.
mamac 10:43 AM 10-21-2013
Originally Posted by spud912:
I love what she did! I do get creative, but nowhere to that extent haha! Is it just me, or does it seem like most of her food consists of rice, seaweed, fruit and soup? If it were me actually eating that, I would hate to eat something and ruin the overall picture .

This are really cute. Definitely more my speed. lol. I'm not sure I could handle much more than that during lunch!
mamac 10:44 AM 10-21-2013
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I do with my own 3 boys lunches.

I do bento style lunches. Today they had a ghost sandwich, a peeled orange with celery stalk pumpkin, grapes skewered to look like ghosts and Halloween fruit snacks.

Their joke (on their napkin) was "Which ghost is the best dancer"

"The boogey man!"
Do you have any pics of your bento lunches?

Edit: I'm sure Pinterest has a lot of ideas but I'm trying to steer clear of there for a while. lol. I have too much to do today and can't risk getting sucked in for the day. I'm looking for the easy way out.
Angelsj 10:47 AM 10-21-2013
Um, no. Just no.

And only one of my kids would even eat most of that.
Spud...LOVE the octopus/goldfish idea. Cute and easy enough to do with all of them!
daycarediva 10:51 AM 10-21-2013
Originally Posted by mamac:
Do you have any pics of your bento lunches?

Edit: I'm sure Pinterest has a lot of ideas but I'm trying to steer clear of there for a while. lol. I have too much to do today and can't risk getting sucked in for the day. I'm looking for the easy way out.
I don't take pics of them. Most of my ideas came from pinterest. It's a bad addiction for me as well.
momofsix 11:07 AM 10-21-2013
Oh mine would look sooooo funny if I tried that
My pics would be all over the internet under "lunch FAIL" They would probably do a whole buzzfeed page of it
mamac 11:09 AM 10-21-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

I was thinking that, too! Good for Halloween though.
snbauser 11:54 AM 10-21-2013
Um, not even close.
jenn 02:13 PM 10-21-2013
On rare occasion, I will do simple themed snack, mainly for holidays.

I like to do creative snacks and meals for my own daughter, but I am nowhere near that creative!
grandmom 02:32 PM 10-21-2013
Yes, I get creative. Sometimes I pour the milk before I put the food on the plate.

Just kidding.
Crazy8 02:42 PM 10-21-2013
I used to get a bit creative with my own kids lunches but nothing like that link - like someone else mentioned - I do bento style, cutting sandwiches in different shapes, using food markers, candy eyes, etc. But as they get older they are "too cool" for that type of thing.

I don't provide lunch for my dck's but even if I did I wouldn't go beyond using cookie cutters on sandwiches, etc.
Angelsj 05:18 PM 10-21-2013
Originally Posted by grandmom:
Yes, I get creative. Sometimes I pour the milk before I put the food on the plate.

Just kidding.

melilley 06:50 PM 10-21-2013
Originally Posted by spud912:

Super cute!!!1
melilley 06:56 PM 10-21-2013
Haha no way! Even if I did, it would not come out like that! I have made owls out of sandwiches and a smiley face in the past and I thought it was the coolest lunch ever, but the kids didn't even know what it was...lol And they are too young to appreciate food art... lol They do look neat though! How does this lady have the time?
Tags:creative, creative food, food fun, food ideas
Reply Up