Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Handwashing
kitkat 08:38 AM 10-25-2013
I've noticed that the kids that come to me when they are older don't know the right order for washing their hands. They all do soap, rub together for a few seconds, then rinse. They obviously have experience washing their hands, but why do they do soap first and NO water til the end? When I correct them, it's clearly a new concept to them. Do you think since foamy soap is so common now that adults think since it's bubbly when it dispenses that they don't need to use water first to make it lather like you would for the non-foamy kind? I just want to understand (I'm one of those people who HAVE to know why ). Thanks to anyone who can shed some light on this for me!
Brooksie 09:01 AM 10-25-2013
The only thing I could think of is someone was teaching them water conservation the wrong way? I have no idea. We wet hands, turn water off, soap-suds and rinse... But maybe someone is telling them to use soap first so they dont waste water? no clue.
Blackcat31 09:03 AM 10-25-2013
LOL! I was just asking my DH this same thing as I had a couple drop in older kids last week and I noticed they washed their hands the same way

.....soap first, barely any rubbing and then rinse...

I kind of assumed it was the over use of hand s*****er...

Pump, rub. I don't know. ??

I did ask the DCB and he just said, they don't get much time at school to do it so they do it fast.

That's all I got. Sorry.
kitkat 10:32 AM 10-25-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
LOL! I was just asking my DH this same thing as I had a couple drop in older kids last week and I noticed they washed their hands the same way

.....soap first, barely any rubbing and then rinse...

I kind of assumed it was the over use of hand s*****er...

Pump, rub. I don't know. ??

I did ask the DCB and he just said, they don't get much time at school to do it so they do it fast.

That's all I got. Sorry.
At least it's not only me! It just baffles me when I see it. Hand sanitizer does make some sense.
spud912 11:48 AM 10-25-2013
Actually, when I worked at the health department that's how we were trained on how to properly wash hands. Soap and lather for 15 seconds, then turn on the water and rinse. I teach my kids the same thing because the lathering with the soap is more important than the rinsing step. If they turn on the water, put soap on and rinse it off immediately the soap doesn't have any time to help remove the germs.
Angelsj 07:15 PM 10-25-2013
Sanitizer is banned????
BC what did you type to get those asterisks?
Familycare71 07:26 PM 10-25-2013
Originally Posted by spud912:
Actually, when I worked at the health department that's how we were trained on how to properly wash hands. Soap and lather for 15 seconds, then turn on the water and rinse. I teach my kids the same thing because the lathering with the soap is more important than the rinsing step. If they turn on the water, put soap on and rinse it off immediately the soap doesn't have any time to help remove the germs.
This is what we do too- my kids do use the foam soap now but even before that ...
dbslas 07:44 PM 10-25-2013
Some of our kids put the soap on then immediately stick their hands under the faucet. I have to keep reminding them it isn't "magic soap". You have to manually run it around your hands before washing it off.
Familycare71 07:56 PM 10-25-2013
Originally Posted by dbslas:
Some of our kids put the soap on then immediately stick their hands under the faucet. I have to keep reminding them it isn't "magic soap". You have to manually run it around your hands before washing it off.
Yes!! I had one dcb (3) who was in the bathroom forever! We have gone over hand washing and he typically does well. Apparently it was on off day- I went to check on him and he was pumping the foam soap onto his hand and then sticking it right under the water... Of course the soap rinsed off - so he would do it again! He seemed truly confused - needless to say- we went over hand washing some more!
TheGoodLife 09:25 PM 10-25-2013
I have my kids sing their ABCs with the water off before they can rinse- teaches them how long to be rubbing/ washing (Twinkle, Twinkle works, too) It seems like most people barely touch their hands together before they rinse- how do they think they're getting their hands clean?!
Another side note, I can't STAND when I go to someone's house and there's no soap in a bathroom- bleh
MissAnn 06:15 AM 10-26-2013
Originally Posted by Mama2Bella:
I have my kids sing their ABCs with the water off before they can rinse- teaches them how long to be rubbing/ washing (Twinkle, Twinkle works, too) It seems like most people barely touch their hands together before they rinse- how do they think they're getting their hands clean?!
Another side note, I can't STAND when I go to someone's house and there's no soap in a bathroom- bleh
I've heard you are supposed to sing the ABC Song twice.......seems too long, so I never had them do that. I'll try again and have them sing it once. Thanks for the reminder.
Blackcat31 06:33 AM 10-26-2013
Originally Posted by Angelsj:
Sanitizer is banned????
BC what did you type to get those asterisks?
lol! I didn't even notice that...

I wonder why hand sanitizer would be censored in that post but not this one??
Sunchimes 08:01 AM 10-26-2013
I bought a poster on washing hands. I had it laminated and hung in the bathroom. It shows 5 steps and dcg insists on counting each step as she does it. We sing Old MacDonald washed his hands. One verse takes about 20 seconds. We are working really hard on turning off the water while we sing, but she hasn't quite caught on to the saving water idea.
craftymissbeth 10:26 AM 10-26-2013
My 5 yo dcg does that too but my 18 mo old dcg washes her hands extremely well. Honestly, a lot of families don't stress hand washing so many of them don't have a whole lot of experience. By the time they are old enough to use the restroom alone they don't really have someone right there assisting them anymore.
TheGoodLife 11:00 AM 10-26-2013
Originally Posted by MissAnn:
I've heard you are supposed to sing the ABC Song twice.......seems too long, so I never had them do that. I'll try again and have them sing it once. Thanks for the reminder.
If they sing Happy Birthday it's twice, but the ABCs is long enough to do just once
Reply Up