Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Does Anyone Have These Outlet Protectors?
melilley 07:45 AM 11-20-2013
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...Src=search&cp=

I have these in my outlets, but all the kids can take them out, even the youngest ones! I don't understand how they are safety devices when they don't do what they are supposed to. Does anyone else have them and can the kids take them out?

Blackcat31 07:52 AM 11-20-2013
I don't have those kind.

I use these

and when the outlet is in use, I cover with one of these:

I also have this one too because it accommodates a large square plug:

Unregistered 07:54 AM 11-20-2013
I use those. I haven't had a problem yet. All my older kids know not to touch them and the younger ones don't pay attention to them. I use black cats second picture for outlets in use. I really love those! They can be hard for me to get off sometimes!
CedarCreek 08:11 AM 11-20-2013
I have those too. I haven't had a problem either.

I think probably because I've never had one try. I'll have to be on the look out now!
melilley 08:13 AM 11-20-2013
I do have "safety" outlets where you have to stick something into both entrances (I can't think of what they are called....lol) in order to get zapped, but I'm not sure if licensing would accept that or not. I'll have to look into the outlet covers to put on when they are in use!
melilley 08:16 AM 11-20-2013
Yeah, I have no idea how they figured out how to get them off, but once one did it, they all do it now. It's like a game to them. I'm constantly redirecting them away from them.
GKJNIGMN 08:17 AM 11-20-2013
I have the ones you showed the picture of. My DCKs don't bother them but my own 3 year old can take them out with no problem so if one of them tried I am sure they could as well. I like the ones that blackcat showed and may really consider switching to something like that.
littlemissmuffet 08:20 AM 11-20-2013
Originally Posted by melilley:
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...Src=search&cp=

I have these in my outlets, but all the kids can take them out, even the youngest ones! I don't understand how they are safety devices when they don't do what they are supposed to. Does anyone else have them and can the kids take them out?

We USED to have these too... until we realized ALL the kids could get them out. We switched to the old school basic kind like these:

They fit snug to the wall and inside the outlet holes, so the kids can't get them out.
momofsix 08:26 AM 11-20-2013
Originally Posted by littlemissmuffet:
We USED to have these too... until we realized ALL the kids could get them out. We switched to the old school basic kind like these:

They fit snug to the wall and inside the outlet holes, so the kids can't get them out.
I was told we couldn't use the second ones because they are a choking hazard
butterfly 08:26 AM 11-20-2013
I do have "safety" outlets where you have to stick something into both entrances (I can't think of what they are called....lol) in order to get zapped, but I'm not sure if licensing would accept that or not. I'll have to look into the outlet covers to put on when they are in use!
I have the same outlets and outlet covers. I do have one little guy who has figured out how to get them out. At first I just redirected, but since have switched out some of them for the old fashioned smooth covers.

I thought of just not having the covers since I have the safety outlets, but parents seem to like the piece of mind that they are covered. I actually gained a family from a center because they didn't have their outlets covered. I'm sure they must have had the safety outlets, but the parent's weren't aware that these types of outlets even existed.
Leigh 09:13 AM 11-20-2013
I use these:

http://www.amazon.com/Safety-1st-Swi...t+outlet+cover

I just hate having to take the covers in and out, these are much more convenient for me.
dingledine 12:52 PM 11-20-2013
[quote=Blackcat31;410890]I don't have those kind.

I use these

Those are the kind that I use as well.
dingledine 12:53 PM 11-20-2013
Originally Posted by Leigh:
I use these:

I just hate having to take the covers in and out, these are much more convenient for me.
and I use these too!
Meeko 12:58 PM 11-20-2013
Originally Posted by Leigh:
I use these:

I have these too
Laurel 12:59 PM 11-20-2013

Me too. Those first kind come out too easy.

Laurel
mamac 05:59 PM 11-23-2013
My husband changed all of our outlets to these which are now a code requirement for all new construction in MA. They have a built in shutters to prevent access to the electrical component inside the outlet.
melilley 06:03 PM 11-23-2013
Originally Posted by mamac:
My husband changed all of our outlets to these which are now a code requirement for all new construction in MA. They have a built in shutters to prevent access to the electrical component inside the outlet.
This is what we have I believe, but I don't know if licensing would accept them without covers on.
kindertouch 05:29 AM 11-24-2013
We don't have it because I am thinking kids will be more interested to open it up when I am not looking. But I think the suggestions/recommendations here are okay. Will look for it and use it if the need arises.
Blackcat31 09:16 AM 11-24-2013
This is what we have I believe, but I don't know if licensing would accept them without covers on.
We have those in my own home but licensing hasn't caught up yet...
So even if they may be safer, they aren't technically approved so...
mamac 01:44 PM 11-24-2013
I'm not sure licensing could refuse them if they are a part of the new code regulations for your state. I didn't spend a lot of time looking for each state but here is a quote from an article dated August, 2011 that lists the states that are compliant with the new code. I can only assume that there are probably more states that have gotten on board with the new regs in the last 2 years.

This is a quote from an article dated Aug. 2011:

"To date, 10 states have adopted the 2011 Code, either statewide or within certain local jurisdictions, including Maine, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, New Hampshire, South Dakota, Texas, Utah and Vermont. The Code review and adoption process is progressing in Arkansas, Idaho, New York, Ohio, Rhode Island and South Carolina."
mamac 01:46 PM 11-24-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
We have those in my own home but licensing hasn't caught up yet...
So even if they may be safer, they aren't technically approved so...
You're in Minnesota, right? I don't think they could tell you they're not acceptable if it's a part of the new code regulations...
Blackcat31 03:17 PM 11-24-2013
Originally Posted by mamac:
You're in Minnesota, right? I don't think they could tell you they're not acceptable if it's a part of the new code regulations...
One would think that were the case.

They aren't code required yet in my state. Just "acceptable".

So until they are "required", licensing rules/regulations over rule.
TwinKristi 05:26 PM 11-24-2013
The tamper-resistant outlets are safe enough in CA. Out church has a preschool in the nursery and fellowship hall during the week days and my dh replaced them all to bring them up to code to get their fire dept clearance. They are licensed through the state of CA as a daycare center so they have the same requirements. If my analyst cited me for it I would fight it all the way. It's a safety code requirement and you're essentially making them non-compliant to comply with licensing. Rediculous. My dh hasn't put them in the house yet but we've talked about it 100 times. Maybe over the Christmas break we'll do that. I have the ones OP linked and we have the covers that go over ones with plugs in them as well.
Annalee 05:30 PM 11-24-2013

I use the basic outlet plug protectors as well.....up to this point, no problems, but you never know with kids.
mamac 07:14 PM 11-24-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
One would think that were the case.

They aren't code required yet in my state. Just "acceptable".

So until they are "required", licensing rules/regulations over rule.
It figures. So much for being proactive.
Unregistered 07:27 PM 11-24-2013
I use to have those outlet protectors and was told by my licenser that i could not use those. I also had the box cover ups and had to take those down. I put in the snap back outlets and those have worked fine. They are a lot easier for me to access and the children seem not to bother them.
Rachel 05:06 AM 11-25-2013
I have ikea ones. Love them. Impossible for the kids to get out, but easy for the adults (as long as you don't lose the "key")
Tags:outlet, outlet protector, safety, shock protector
Reply Up