Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Do Toddler Boys Like To Do?
cheerfuldom 07:29 PM 02-06-2014
Please take the time to exhaust the subject for me! Post pics or links of particular toys and activities if you can! This summer I will have three one year old boys in care, that has NEVER happened before. I have had girls, girls, girls for most of my 6 years plus some boy babies here and there and only two toddler boys a couple of years ago, for a short time.

I will also have three young school age girls this summer and one preschool girl so what I have out at this point is geared toward older girls ages 3-6.
CraftyMom 07:43 PM 02-06-2014
Cars and trucks! Of all types! Big ones they can run and push while hunched over, match box cars, little people cars. For outside, ride on's they can push or ride on, balls of all sizes and of course cars and trucks!
Laurel 07:45 PM 02-06-2014
My 1 year old boy just likes to suck on things. It doesn't really matter what is out. He won't roll a car, he'll crawl by with it hanging out of his mouth by one wheel. Really.

I guess I'm saying they basically like anything as long as at least part of it will fit in their mouth.

Laurel
racemom 07:50 PM 02-06-2014
I was going to say big cars and trucks that don't fit in mouth. Soft balls they can throw. Thomas or any wooden train sets, but make sure you have enough engines and cars so everyone gets one of each or the exact same number or they will drive you crazy! Little tike or similar slide, cars, climber for outside time.
daycare 07:52 PM 02-06-2014
Buckets of anything they an dump, transfer, refill. In no paticular order
cheerfuldom 07:55 PM 02-06-2014
Originally Posted by CraftyMom:
Cars and trucks! Of all types! Big ones they can run and push while hunched over, match box cars, little people cars. For outside, ride on's they can push or ride on, balls of all sizes and of course cars and trucks!
are matchbox too small for one year olds?
cheerfuldom 07:56 PM 02-06-2014
Originally Posted by racemom:
I was going to say big cars and trucks that don't fit in mouth. Soft balls they can throw. Thomas or any wooden train sets, but make sure you have enough engines and cars so everyone gets one of each or the exact same number or they will drive you crazy! Little tike or similar slide, cars, climber for outside time.
I am definitely considering rearranging the room to accommodate a train set
Unregistered 08:05 PM 02-06-2014
blocks/duplos
balls (textured ones, or ones that light up)
chunkier cars
kitchen set
stacking cups/rings
sensory bottles
animal toys
board books - do tend to go more for transportation & animal ones
magnet board with large magnets
felt board with simple larger felt pieces
tool bench (gets loud
little people sets
musical instruments
dress up - mostly hats work here

LOTS OF OUTDOOR TIME!
preschoolteacher 08:07 PM 02-06-2014
My 1 year old son is all about cars, too, but also shovels (sand, snow ), construction vehicles, and cooking. Mega blocks are good. Pouring water! Kid size eye droppers. Tunnels--the collapse able kind, anything to crawl through
jenn 08:37 PM 02-06-2014
My 1 year olds basically like to choose a bucket of toys, dump them out, lick or suck on them, and then have to be guided to pick up and return them to the bucket. Since this age seems to be the "lickers and suckers" of my group, they only have the choice of a few buckets per day. No more than what I reasonably have time to sanitize. Popular items are big trucks/cars. little people farm, plastic balls, xylophone, and dress up hats.
SilverSabre25 09:08 PM 02-06-2014
cars
trucks
trains
balls
BIG trucks
dirt
shovels and buckets
bugs

and they will be loud. and boisterous. and will never.stop.making.motor noises. Seriously. They will NOT shut up. Your house will sound like a flipping truck stop. Possibly with accompanying belching and farting

BUT--they are wonderful, lovable, cuddly. They are sweet and loving when they aren't wrestling, hitting, pushing, or smearing bodily fluids around. They only smell good for about 17 seconds after a bath. but boys are a lot of fun.
daycarediva 03:20 AM 02-07-2014
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
cars
trucks
trains
balls
BIG trucks
dirt
shovels and buckets
bugs

and they will be loud. and boisterous. and will never.stop.making.motor noises. Seriously. They will NOT shut up. Your house will sound like a flipping truck stop. Possibly with accompanying belching and farting

BUT--they are wonderful, lovable, cuddly. They are sweet and loving when they aren't wrestling, hitting, pushing, or smearing bodily fluids around. They only smell good for about 17 seconds after a bath. but boys are a lot of fun.

how true!!! I have mostly boys and can really relate to this post!

My group also likes to throw things. Instead of banning that (because it was near constant) I set a limit on what/where/when they could throw things. We have bath loofahs (4 for $1 at the dollar store) and very soft balls with a mini basketball hoop and ring toss games.
Scout 03:54 AM 02-07-2014
I have 2 sons and an 18 mo dcb. They all since that age would play with bowling pins and balls. My dcb makes a bee line for the tool bench when we go downstairs. Riding cars, sidewalk chalk, lawn mowers, Wheel barrels, dirt!!! My son also loves action figures and plays with them all the tme!!

For a little older boys I suggest these football and baseball guys made by Kaskey kids. Got my older son these for Christmas from Amazon but my 2 1/2 yo loves them! I do not think they are too small for him and they come with felt fields!! It is the most played with toy here now. Just take out the goal posts because they will poke an eye out!
Laurel 04:16 AM 02-07-2014
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
cars
trucks
trains
balls
BIG trucks
dirt
shovels and buckets
bugs

Just to clarify my earlier post, the cars for the one year old are age appropriate not match box types. It cracked me up when he crawled by (mostly crawls but is just starting to walk) with it hanging from his mouth by one wheel.
Laurel 04:19 AM 02-07-2014
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
how true!!! I have mostly boys and can really relate to this post!

My group also likes to throw things. Instead of banning that (because it was near constant) I set a limit on what/where/when they could throw things. We have bath loofahs (4 for $1 at the dollar store) and very soft balls with a mini basketball hoop and ring toss games.
I have two sets of what I call soft blocks. They are fabric. When they throw a toy I redirect them and tell them they can go get a soft block if they feel like throwing. I also have some of those fabric discs from the dollar store that I think are using in the swimming pool. They are like frisbees but soft.
Lianne 04:51 AM 02-07-2014
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
Please take the time to exhaust the subject for me! Post pics or links of particular toys and activities if you can! This summer I will have three one year old boys in care, that has NEVER happened before. I have had girls, girls, girls for most of my 6 years plus some boy babies here and there and only two toddler boys a couple of years ago, for a short time.

I will also have three young school age girls this summer and one preschool girl so what I have out at this point is geared toward older girls ages 3-6.
Pick their noses, play with their penises, spit, kick, growl at any pleasantries sent their way.....
preschoolteacher 05:16 AM 02-07-2014
Originally Posted by Lianne:
Pick their noses, play with their penises, spit, kick, growl at any pleasantries sent their way.....
I take offense to that! I love this age, and the boys I have here definitely don't fit that stereotype. I know you're kidding. But I still disagree!
Unregistered 05:22 AM 02-07-2014
You may want to put any delicate toys away for awhile too. They have a greater knack for busting things, not always intentionally. Their way of exploring things just has a greater tendency towards destruction
CraftyMom 05:41 AM 02-07-2014
I have a mixed age group, my 3 year old boys love match box, sorry, should have clarified
Bluebird1 07:28 AM 02-07-2014
Lucky for you, it will be summer before you get them!

My boys loved our splash mat (hooked up to the hose and it sprinked water), wadding pool, and sand table.

In the winter I made the sand table the car/truck table (empty of sand/water, but sometimes pompoms or oats)

A walk to the park every day.

I have 2 balance bikes (Firstbike) that my own kids used. My DS could zip around on it at 18 months. They are expensive but he loved it. I would recommend twowheelingtots.com if you want info on which balance bikes to get. Younger kids will enjoy the red crazy coupe from step 2.

The favorite toy for that age group (I ended up getting 3) was the Melissa and Doug stacking block train. It is a common toy, I found 1 at a consignment store, 1 at a garage sale and I bought the third on amazon because it was so popular.

I wouldnt do matchboxes until they were at least 2.5, my boys all were oral learners and I was not only afraid of choking, but also the paint chips off those really easily. When they get older, the matchbox cars and Thomas the Train stuff is like toddler crack (my girls play with it too).

Also, my boys rarely wanted to color but loved play dough. They loved helping measure and make it/ pick out the koolaid coloring, etc. But like anything else, it just got incorporated back into cars/train games. For example, I have one that will covertly run off with the play dough and use it as a type of glue to make his train tracks stick together and cantalever them over the edge of the stairs so his trains can then crash. Same little boy uses play dough to burry and excavate his cars over and over and over again.

Good luck, it will be fun.
Blackcat31 07:50 AM 02-07-2014
I wouldn't give anyone under age 3 a Matchbox or Hot Wheel car. I think the choking hazard is just too great.

I buy these for my toddlers instead. MUCH safer and MORE age appropriate inho.

They are soft and don't have wheels or small pieces that can be snapped or bitten off...

They are Tonka Chuck and Friends....there are a lot of different varieties and types so enough to make a pretty nice set.

You can buy them in sets with the car hauler truck or buy them individually. I've seen them at Kohl's, Target, Walmart and Kmart so they should be easy to find.

Cat Herder 08:04 AM 02-07-2014
Run, slam into things, climb on things, jump on things, take things apart.

Crash Pad, boppers, River Stones, Hilltops and lot's of manipulatives.
Attached: crash pad.jpg (2.4 KB) boppers.jpg (9.4 KB) river stones.jpg (3.5 KB) hilltops.jpg (1.6 KB) 
Scout 09:50 AM 02-07-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
You may want to put any delicate toys away for awhile too. They have a greater knack for busting things, not always intentionally. Their way of exploring things just has a greater tendency towards destruction
I have only had dcg's break toys! One broke the train table my dad spent 8 hours putting together with glue and screws and a brand new doll in her first week! I don't think boys are any more destructive than girls. More active, yes.
Jack Sprat 12:01 PM 02-07-2014
Originally Posted by daycare:
my three two year old boys love to do this. They love trains, blocks, big buttons that they put on laces, TRACTORS are huge right now. They also love to color, paint, cut (attempt too) glue and use tape. They like stacking toys as well.

When its nice we are always outside. So then its dig, dig, dig. Balls and walks.
SunnyDay 03:27 PM 02-07-2014
Originally Posted by daycare:
Yes, any kind of "putting things in containers". Nesting boxes, nesting buckets, or just plain old boxes, baskets, etc. that they can put things in. I also had one that loved bowls and spoons. And the shopping cart has always been popular.
Rubysmom 07:47 PM 02-07-2014
I have 6 boys ages 8 months to 5 years. They love puzzles, trains, DINOSAURS, cars and books. The 1 and 2 year olds love to push grocery carts and doll strollers, fast of course. Playdough, coloring, painting and loud musical instruments are popular. They also love to cook in the play kitchen, play doctor and wear dress up clothes.
SilverSabre25 08:08 PM 02-07-2014
Oh, my goodness, how could I forget dinos?!

DINOSAURS.

Ours are put away right now (which is probably why I forgot them) but omgosh YES DINOSAURS. We have these:

renodeb 08:51 PM 02-08-2014
I have an all boy group right now its very loud and rowdy all day. They love cars, trucks, legos, Believe it or not my group loves the little play kitchen.
Debbiie
Blackcat31 08:36 AM 02-09-2014
Originally Posted by renodeb:
Believe it or not my group loves the little play kitchen.
Debbiie
My DCB's love mine too! I think it is because it is so "foreign" to them.

They also LOVE dress up and the baby dolls.
Annalee 06:34 PM 02-09-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
My DCB's love mine too! I think it is because it is so "foreign" to them.

They also LOVE dress up and the baby dolls.
I have had dad's during the interview process say "you ain't gonna let my boy play with that cooking stuff,a re you?"....to which I relay "yep, and I am gonna let him use dress-up clothes while he cooks".
LeslieG 11:49 AM 02-10-2014
I have one 1.5 year old boy and two 2 year old boys. They love to play with the play kitchen, books, trains, cars, barn w/ farm animals, and the sensory table.
They also love ride on toys and pushing doll strollers.
Tags:toddler activities, toddler play area, toddler toys, toddlers
Reply Up