Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Qris/stars
midaycare 09:01 PM 07-27-2014
I have my first QRIS in home evaluation this Thursday. It's voluntary now, but I'm jumping on board before it becomes a requirement.

My contact is coming at 10:30 am. Anyone else here been audited by QRIS? If so, how long did they stay in your daycare observing?
Sugar Magnolia 03:10 AM 07-28-2014
4 HOURS!

Good luck!
midaycare 03:39 AM 07-28-2014
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia:
4 HOURS!

Good luck!
Oh wow. That is a looooong time.
melilley 05:24 AM 07-28-2014
Did you submit for a 4 or 5 star or is it just a consultant?
Annalee 05:58 AM 07-28-2014
We did not get a consultant visit.....we were allowed to attend trainings but we were like a chicken with our heads cut off on our first 4-6 hours assessment....The QRIS report card is still, over ten years later, not understood by all state entities so it is not a welcome part of our programs...I wish we could have had a consultant, maybe it would have broke some barriers that have been built....but we all felt hung out to dry and get if on our own!
midaycare 06:28 AM 07-28-2014
Originally Posted by melilley:
Did you submit for a 4 or 5 star or is it just a consultant?
I filled out the online evaluation and it came back as a 5 star. Then an evaluator came out and met with me and said I am at a 4 star, but with more documentation and another form of assessment I should get a 5 star.

So now a consultant looks over my paperwork again and does a home visit.

I don't mind the process, except for the home visit. They have a huge lending library of toys and games that I can borrow anytime I want. Then while they are my consultant for 6 months they will help me out with anything I want. So if I wanted help setting up a program for special needs kids, or help with assessments, or help with a difficult child, or even all 3, they will come out and help me as much as I need. And I'm going to take advantage of that!
midaycare 06:29 AM 07-28-2014
Originally Posted by Annalee:
We did not get a consultant visit.....we were allowed to attend trainings but we were like a chicken with our heads cut off on our first 4-6 hours assessment....The QRIS report card is still, over ten years later, not understood by all state entities so it is not a welcome part of our programs...I wish we could have had a consultant, maybe it would have broke some barriers that have been built....but we all felt hung out to dry and get if on our own!
Oh yuck. That is a horrible way to start out a program.

I think Michigan is being so nice to providers because right now it is not mandatory and the woman told me that out of 960 home daycares in 9 counties, only 160 are doing the QRIS.
Annalee 06:34 AM 07-28-2014
Originally Posted by midaycare:

I think Michigan is being so nice to providers because right now it is not mandatory and the woman told me that out of 960 home daycares in 9 counties, only 160 are doing the QRIS.
It began mandatory here in the law so there is NO WAY OUT!!!! If you are licensed you MUST participate!!!!
melilley 06:36 AM 07-28-2014
Here in MI, at least in my county, they offer a lot of help for us to go through the process, mainly for funding purposes right now, and the OYC staff is pressured to get as many providers as they can to participate. So they offer consultation to providers who are participating in the program.
What they do is come once a month and go over what you can do to achieve a star rating or a higher star rating. This is not the person who observes your program for a 4 or 5 star. After that, you work on getting a rating or a higher rating by yourself and the consultant stops coming, but you can always call and ask questions. The ladies are very nice here!

Midaycare, unless this is for the observation for you to get the 4 or 5 star rating, it's just a consultant who comes out and goes over what you need to do to achieve then rating you are going for and they are there for about an hour.
Now when you schedule your assessment to get a 4 or 5, that are there to observe for 4 hours!

HTH!
I've been through the process and have a 3 and am contemplating on getting a 4. If you have any questions or help, I may be able to help!
melilley 06:40 AM 07-28-2014

You are right, it's not mandatory, but our oyc ladies told us that they are being pressured to get providers to participate. Our main oyc woman even admitted that many of the employees are required meet a quota and often times they are in tears in the office because the pressure is so great.

It's sad, really
Annalee 06:45 AM 07-28-2014
You are right, it's not mandatory, but our oyc ladies told us that they are being pressured to get providers to participate. Our main oyc woman even admitted that many of the employees are required meet a quota and often times they are in tears in the office because the pressure is so great.

It's sad, really
The pressure is great on all the state partners here as well even up to the top but since it is in legislation, there is really little anyone can do....it is all in the name of quality child care. Whoever set this up knew what they were doing...legislation officials do understand but it takes more than one local legislator to get a law changed. IN the beginning, I supported QRIS and tried to remain on the positive side of it, but NOT NOW! We started with over 3000 home providers 10 plus years ago and today there is 867 and I look for that number to drop as well...most are still keeping kids under the radar.... THere needs to be standards/rules/regs, but I am not sure QRIS is the way to do it!!!!!
Childminder 07:01 AM 07-28-2014
Originally Posted by :
Michigan is being so nice to providers right now because the more providers that sign on means more Federal $$$ for Michigan. I attached the latest report for the entire State to show how few have jumped on board.

click image for larger version

7-1-14 Dashboard Report-GSQ Website.jpg
Attached:
melilley 07:08 AM 07-28-2014
Originally Posted by Childminder:
Michigan is being so nice to providers right now because the more providers that sign on means more Federal $$$ for Michigan. I attached the latest report for the entire State to show how few have jumped on board.

Attachment 2799
Exactly! That was the jist of what I was trying to say. Thank you for clarifying, I sometimes know what I want to say, but it doesn't come out they way I want it to or doesn't explain what I mean....lol
Annalee 07:09 AM 07-28-2014

Attachment 2799
This will be interesting to follow!
midaycare 08:01 AM 07-28-2014
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia:
4 HOURS!

Good luck!

Attachment 2799
I figured! But as long as it is headed in the direction of being mandatory, I will jump ahead of the bandwagon before it becomes really strict and hard.
midaycare 08:02 AM 07-28-2014
Here in MI, at least in my county, they offer a lot of help for us to go through the process, mainly for funding purposes right now, and the OYC staff is pressured to get as many providers as they can to participate. So they offer consultation to providers who are participating in the program.
What they do is come once a month and go over what you can do to achieve a star rating or a higher star rating. This is not the person who observes your program for a 4 or 5 star. After that, you work on getting a rating or a higher rating by yourself and the consultant stops coming, but you can always call and ask questions. The ladies are very nice here!

Midaycare, unless this is for the observation for you to get the 4 or 5 star rating, it's just a consultant who comes out and goes over what you need to do to achieve then rating you are going for and they are there for about an hour.
Now when you schedule your assessment to get a 4 or 5, that are there to observe for 4 hours!

HTH!
I've been through the process and have a 3 and am contemplating on getting a 4. If you have any questions or help, I may be able to help!
This is my assessment, yikes!
Unregistered 08:29 AM 07-28-2014
I heard that you must have a degree to get a rating higher than 1 star. Is this true, and what kind of degree if true?
melilley 08:31 AM 07-28-2014
This is my assessment, yikes!
Good luck! Keep us updated on how it goes!
midaycare 09:08 AM 07-28-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I heard that you must have a degree to get a rating higher than 1 star. Is this true, and what kind of degree if true?
Higher than a 3 star. But with so many credit hours you can earn 4 or 5. They want classes pertaining to early Ed. I have a bachelors in elementary Ed and a masters in school counseling, but not early Ed classes. My 4 or 5 star rating (if I get it) will come from being high in other areas.
midaycare 09:10 AM 07-28-2014
Good luck! Keep us updated on how it goes!
Thank you! I'm really nervous but I have a 60 page packet of everything they are going to observe/look at/ask me. It states the scoring right in there. So much to do in 3 days!
Annalee 09:11 AM 07-28-2014
Thank you! I'm really nervous but I have a 60 page packet of everything they are going to observe/look at/ask me. It states the scoring right in there. So much to do in 3 days!
They arrive early here because they have to see children arriving...they usually arrive before 8 and stay till I get children down for nap and then they interview me.....good luck to you!
melilley 10:52 AM 07-28-2014
I'm sure you will do great! At least they give us the packet that they use, to look at.
Reply Up