Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Should I transport to preschool?
Unregistered 05:48 AM 01-19-2015
I have a teacher dcm that wants her 3 year old to go to preschool, I expected this as I have had her schoolage son since he was a toddler and he went. She is now trying to get a couple of my other dc families to send their children also and she approached me to see if I would be able to take them. One of the other dck is her nephew and the other is a niece of her friend. I am not sure if I want to do this or not. Getting 5 kids in and out of the van 4 times a day 2 days a week seems like a lot of hassle. If you do a preschool run what are the pros and cons? Any thoughts would be helpful! Thanks!
SquirrellyMama 06:05 AM 01-19-2015
Why is this 4 times a day?

I do preschool run. My pro to the preschool run is getting to know the teachers and other families which has given me referrals.

The con is having to get out of my house when it is pouring down rain or -20 degrees out.

Kelly
Play Care 06:18 AM 01-19-2015
I would say no. Tell mom that transporting dck's increases your insurance and you would have to pass the cost on to her.

I've been transporting for a couple of years and it HAS resulted in more clients which is nice. But the added cost (insurance, car seats, gas, wear and tear on my vehicle, having a sub come in so little ones don't have to go out on below 0 days, etc) has become prohibitive. And this with the preschool less than a mile from my home - I personally wouldn't do it if it were any further.

Oh, and when I didn't transport? Those who really wanted their kids to get to preschool made it happen. It does help that we don't have many "real" preschools and we have no all day ones (so they would leave me to go) but still. Either grandparents came and did the transporting or mom worked it out with another parent that was going.
Unregistered 06:21 AM 01-19-2015
Your vehicle insurance may not cover you. You may need a different type of drvers license and or commercial insurance(since you are being paid to drive). I inquired to our old insurance company before I ever took kids somewhere. Asked if going to the library once a week would have any effect on our coverage.............they cancelled us within a week of that question.Needless to sya neww company and I do not drive....the liability made me a nervous nelly just thinking about it after that.
LysesKids 06:23 AM 01-19-2015
Even when I had older kids in care, I still didn't do preschool runs - WHY? The liability factor. The extra cost for insurance and the new regulations some states imposed aren't worth it IMO. I always explained to parents when they contracted that it was their responsibility to get their child to & from my house that I did not, (and still don't), transport
SquirrellyMama 06:45 AM 01-19-2015
Insurance might not be a problem. I've talked with my agent about transporting kids and my rates did not increase. The preschool isn't that far away so it wasn't a problem. Even longer trips of 40 minutes are fine as long as I'm not doing them several times a week.

Check with your insurance if you want to transport.

It doesn't sound like you really want to so in that case you can blame it on insurance

Kelly
Magic 07:00 AM 01-19-2015
First I am in Canada
and I do drive my children
my insurance both van and day car covers us while out and about
but
yes a lot of extra work and gas ex ...first aid kit in van , paper work in van car seats ex.....
and if it is around nap times ?
I supply the car seats too and my van is just for day care for I have a truck too for personal ex
so my van is a total tax write off
but
I would charge extra if this is something new
right now I do not have nay one to drive to school ex and I am hppy for the break !!!
midaycare 08:21 AM 01-19-2015
You could not pay me enough. But others feel differently. It depends on what you are willing to do!
daycare 08:42 AM 01-19-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Your vehicle insurance may not cover you. You may need a different type of drvers license and or commercial insurance(since you are being paid to drive). I inquired to our old insurance company before I ever took kids somewhere. Asked if going to the library once a week would have any effect on our coverage.............they cancelled us within a week of that question.Needless to sya neww company and I do not drive....the liability made me a nervous nelly just thinking about it after that.
THis!!

If you do find an auto company to cover the kids for you to transport, are the parents willing to pay the additional coverage? Also what about all of the liability that you will assume?
Should you get in an accident and the insurance is not enough to cover the children's medical cost who pays for it?
daycare 08:45 AM 01-19-2015
Originally Posted by SquirrellyMama:
Insurance might not be a problem. I've talked with my agent about transporting kids and my rates did not increase. The preschool isn't that far away so it wasn't a problem. Even longer trips of 40 minutes are fine as long as I'm not doing them several times a week.

Check with your insurance if you want to transport.

It doesn't sound like you really want to so in that case you can blame it on insurance

Kelly
I would double check that.... I have an 8 passenger vehicle which I can take 6 kids with me. My insurance tripled. Even if I put one kid in the car, it would still be the same price, because of the number of seats I have avilable.

Even if your car insurance did not go up, do you have enough medical coverage to cover all of the kids in your car?
SquirrellyMama 10:00 AM 01-19-2015
Originally Posted by daycare:
I would double check that.... I have an 8 passenger vehicle which I can take 6 kids with me. My insurance tripled. Even if I put one kid in the car, it would still be the same price, because of the number of seats I have avilable.

Even if your car insurance did not go up, do you have enough medical coverage to cover all of the kids in your car?
I did double check it after a discussion on this board.

Kelly
sahm1225 11:09 AM 01-19-2015
Originally Posted by SquirrellyMama:
Why is this 4 times a day?

I do preschool run. My pro to the preschool run is getting to know the teachers and other families which has given me referrals.

The con is having to get out of my house when it is pouring down rain or -20 degrees out.

Kelly
I do preschool run but I walk there and I have an assistant so if it's nice we all
Walk to the preschool but if it's bad out then I just go with the school kids. Pros - I know all the preschool teachers and have gotten awesome referrals from them.
Cons - if it's cold or gross out I still have to go. I had one family that insisted even on the -20 days to take the kids to school!
Unregistered 10:19 AM 01-20-2015
Thank you for all the responses. I am going to look into insurance and then go from there.
Reply Up