Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Would You Take This Day Off?
Shell 10:43 AM 02-18-2015
I have a dcg starting next week, pt Wed and Fridays. My whole group is pt, and As it so happens, my only regularly scheduled Friday dcg isn't coming next Friday, which NEVER happens!
If I remain open next Friday, I will only have one dcg (the new one) and of course, my own. I'd like to take the day off, as it never happens that my Friday dcg takes off- does this make sense?!

I also have to take a Friday off in April for a wedding, and am going to give her that date with my contract when she arrives next week.

Is this too many days to ask for, at the beginning? Should I suck it up and open for just dcg? If no- how would you word it? I don't want to seem unreliable. Thanks!
Blackcat31 10:55 AM 02-18-2015
Originally Posted by Shell:
I have a dcg starting next week, pt Wed and Fridays. My whole group is pt, and As it so happens, my only regularly scheduled Friday dcg isn't coming next Friday, which NEVER happens!
If I remain open next Friday, I will only have one dcg (the new one) and of course, my own. I'd like to take the day off, as it never happens that my Friday dcg takes off- does this make sense?!

I also have to take a Friday off in April for a wedding, and am going to give her that date with my contract when she arrives next week.

Is this too many days to ask for, at the beginning? Should I suck it up and open for just dcg? If no- how would you word it? I don't want to seem unreliable. Thanks!
If I find myself in the position to take the day off due to only a couple kids being in attendance, I do it.

ESPECIALLY if it's part time kids

I make sure to let part time families know that it IS a possibility that I may take a non-scheduled day off if attendance is low and since I don't make a ton off of part time kids, I want them to be aware that their daycare needs do NOT trump my need to sneak in a day with family or doing personal errands.

Don't feel bad.... just give them notice as soon as you can and if you have in your policies that parents are required to have a back up provider, then it's all good.

Do what YOU need to do and don't stress about the part time DCF's schedule.
Blackcat31 10:57 AM 02-18-2015
As for wording I'd go with:

Dear DCF

An unexpected opportunity (or situation) has come up that requires me to close on Friday, February 27.
If you were scheduled to attend on that day, please make alternate arrangements for services as I will not be available.

Thank you!

Provider

They do NOT need to know anything more than you are closing. period.
butterfly 11:02 AM 02-18-2015
I would work it, personally. Especially with it being their first week.
Crystal 11:05 AM 02-18-2015
Personally, I wouldn't do it. It is her first week and it will likely not be appreciated. I'd use it as an opportunity to work on building a relationship with the child.

I think Mom might consider finding care elsewhere if you are willing to close on the child's second day in care.....she may think it will become a pattern and parents expect their provider to be reliable.
KayB 11:17 AM 02-18-2015
Is there a possibility of her coming a different day that week and explain why?
daycare 11:22 AM 02-18-2015
I also would not do it especially with the family being so new.

You need to start things out on the right foot and in my eyes that would not be the right one if the family first week in is already needing to find back up care.

I would either suck it up or I would see if they would be interested in coming on another day.

I would compare it to how reliable would you think of a parent if they came in on their first week and said oh can I pay you later? does not set the tone right...
KiddieCahoots 11:25 AM 02-18-2015
Funny how things work out like this......always!

I'm gonna use my personal hind sight to try and answer this.

At the time of the situation, like you, I'm always wondering if I should or shouldn't take the day off, and go through all the pros and cons.....while feeling guilty that I'm even considering it.

But.....

Once the opportunity has passed, if I hadn't taken the opportunity to be with my family, which is more important to me, then I regret that I didn't.

So, I take that time off when I can to be with family now. And when I'm in that moment with my family I take the time to think of what I'd be missing if I hadn't.
laundrymom 11:33 AM 02-18-2015
This!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by blackcat31:
as for wording i'd go with:

dear dcf

an unexpected opportunity (or situation) has come up that requires me to close on friday, february 27.
If you were scheduled to attend on that day, please make alternate arrangements for services as i will not be available.

Thank you!

Provider

they do not need to know anything more than you are closing. Period.

Unregistered 11:35 AM 02-18-2015
I don't think that I would do it, either. I would have looked at it like a bonus that I get to bond with the newbie, without other kids around. On the other hand, don't you love how daycare works? They finally take a Friday off, and it's the week that you find a new Friday kid. (My open to closing dck finally left, and my shorter hours dck has been open to closing, since.) The universe never seems to align in this job, so sometimes you do have to force it to avoid burnout.
spinnymarie 11:44 AM 02-18-2015
I wouldn't do it either.
However, since we run on a school-year calendar, we have many scheduled days off.
I think I would be more likely to do it if I only took a few holidays across the year.
Blackcat31 11:55 AM 02-18-2015
Originally Posted by spinnymarie:
I wouldn't do it either.
However, since we run on a school-year calendar, we have many scheduled days off.
I think I would be more likely to do it if I only took a few holidays across the year.
This is probably why I WOULD do it.

I have never taken a sick day and I close VERY little over the year.

I have also been flexible with my vacation weeks to accommodate my families so I feel very justified in taking advantage of an unexpected opportunity to have a free day with my family.
Second Home 12:18 PM 02-18-2015
For me it would depend on whether you gave her you scheduled days off yet . If not then add it in , if you already have given her the days off schedule then I would not change it to add in the extra day .

I took last Friday off to go visit colleges with my dd and it felt good to be able to do something for her .
daycare 12:38 PM 02-18-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
This is probably why I WOULD do it.

I have never taken a sick day and I close VERY little over the year.

I have also been flexible with my vacation weeks to accommodate my families so I feel very justified in taking advantage of an unexpected opportunity to have a free day with my family.
I 100% agree with this with those clients that know your history of good business.

but a new client has not gotten to see that yet.
Rockgirl 12:42 PM 02-18-2015
If it were me, I might just say to dcm, "Looks like Suzy will be the only one here Friday!" Dcm might decide not to send her. Otherwise, if you're set on taking the day off, just do it.
Unregistered 12:59 PM 02-18-2015
You could ask her to start the following week??
Laurel 03:07 PM 02-18-2015
Originally Posted by CoachingForQualityImprovement:
Personally, I wouldn't do it. It is her first week and it will likely not be appreciated. I'd use it as an opportunity to work on building a relationship with the child.

I think Mom might consider finding care elsewhere if you are willing to close on the child's second day in care.....she may think it will become a pattern and parents expect their provider to be reliable.

Crazy8 05:05 PM 02-18-2015
For the one in April I would just let her know when you give her the contract information.

For the one next week, I wouldn't close but I would tell mom ahead of time that she is going to be the only one there. I would maybe try to pose it as its a rarity that the other children aren't there on fridays (so she doesn't think this will happen often) and you just want to give her the heads up that it may seem strange for the new dcg to be the only child there on only her 2nd day.

OR I would just let her know you can't start care until the following week if you think she would be ok with that.
daycare 05:19 PM 02-18-2015
Originally Posted by Crazy8:
For the one in April I would just let her know when you give her the contract information.

For the one next week, I wouldn't close but I would tell mom ahead of time that she is going to be the only one there. I would maybe try to pose it as its a rarity that the other children aren't there on fridays (so she doesn't think this will happen often) and you just want to give her the heads up that it may seem strange for the new dcg to be the only child there on only her 2nd day.

OR I would just let her know you can't start care until the following week if you think she would be ok with that.
I like this.

I would tell dcm:

I just wanted to let you know that we will be having a very rare day this Friday , all of the dcks will be out for the day. Normally I would close if we would not have any children scheduled for the day, but since you are just starting out, I didn't want to close on your second day here and didn't want you to wonder why your child was the only one here. If you would like to bring dck on Thursday so she won't be the only one here, I think she would really like that as opposed to not having anyone to play with on Firday.

I think that this would be an opportunity to let her know in the future you will close as well as give her the idea that you are asking for a day switch to help new kid out. Making it a win win situation.
Unregistered 09:01 AM 02-19-2015
Originally Posted by daycare:
I like this.

I would tell dcm:

I just wanted to let you know that we will be having a very rare day this Friday , all of the dcks will be out for the day. Normally I would close if we would not have any children scheduled for the day, but since you are just starting out, I didn't want to close on your second day here and didn't want you to wonder why your child was the only one here. If you would like to bring dck on Thursday so she won't be the only one here, I think she would really like that as opposed to not having anyone to play with on Firday.

I think that this would be an opportunity to let her know in the future you will close as well as give her the idea that you are asking for a day switch to help new kid out. Making it a win win situation.
Perfect
Reply Up