Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How To Handle The Tantrum/Tattle Child
Peaches 06:58 AM 02-18-2015
I have a DCG who will tantrum over anything and constantly tattles about everyone else. If someone picks a toy up off the floor she throws a fit saying she wanted it. If snack isn't what she wants, or one of the toddlers bumps into her while toddling around she tantrums and tattles about how they "hurt" her. I'm at my witts end over her tantrums when she doesn't get her way. I always stay firm and don't give into her tantrums, usually just ignore them or put her in the crying corner to calm down but it's starting to cause disruptions with the other kids. Any suggestions?
Annalee 07:19 AM 02-18-2015
Originally Posted by CherylH:
I have a DCG who will tantrum over anything and constantly tattles about everyone else. If someone picks a toy up off the floor she throws a fit saying she wanted it. If snack isn't what she wants, or one of the toddlers bumps into her while toddling around she tantrums and tattles about how they "hurt" her. I'm at my witts end over her tantrums when she doesn't get her way. I always stay firm and don't give into her tantrums, usually just ignore them or put her in the crying corner to calm down but it's starting to cause disruptions with the other kids. Any suggestions?
Make a tattle box. Go to pinterest and there are tons of ideas for this. I have a phone, paper/pencil, camera and binoculars in a box. I tell my kids to go get the box, use the binoculars, then take a pic or write a note and I will check it later. They get tired of this and move on I tell them if there is NO danger for safety then we will observe the situation a while before tattling.
Peaches 07:51 AM 02-18-2015
That's a great idea for the tattling I will definitely try that. How about the tantrums and crying over not getting her way?
Annalee 07:54 AM 02-18-2015
Originally Posted by CherylH:
That's a great idea for the tattling I will definitely try that. How about the tantrums and crying over not getting her way?
I don't have that issue too often. I would ignore it and move on with my day....the child will get tired of that too Try moving him to a spot he can throw a tantrum in away from everyone. Then go on with your day
Unregistered 08:23 AM 02-18-2015
If its a child old enough to understand that she/he is tattling, i ask them if they are telling me because someone needs my help, or to get someone in trouble.
One is ok, the other is not.
Sometimes they just need you to remind them that there is a difference.
daycarediva 09:53 AM 02-18-2015
How old is she?

I have a 4yo who tattles on EVERYTHING and it drives me bonkers. I have tried a tattle phone, I have tried teaching him when he needs to tell, I ignore completely now. Nothing has even dented it.
Peaches 10:55 AM 02-18-2015
This is a 3 year old. She knows the difference and is acting up to get attention. It very annoying. Especially when her tattles turn into tantrums. I'm trying my best to acknowledge the tattles by saying thank you or that sounds like tattling to me and we only do reporting, but lately it seems she's caught on that's not getting the response she wants and then goes into full blown tantrum at which point I then try and ignore her or move her to a crying corner. It so draining.
butterfly 11:06 AM 02-18-2015
My go to is "use your words". Even my nonverbal kids will sign please when they are throwing a fit and I say "use your words". It's funny how quickly the whining will shut off here when I say "use your words" to them. It's quite obvious that the tantrums get them results at home but it's not so effective here.

I do NOT give into tantrums.
Reply Up