Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Am I overreacting?
yodaone 06:36 PM 10-15-2016
I just had a new kiddo start and his parents knowingly brought him on his first day sick!* Every kid in my care is now sick. I'm feeling that the family has already disregarded my policies which I go over heavily in the interview and its in my handbook. I'm considering terming the family, am I overreacting?
Crazy8 06:49 PM 10-15-2016
How sick was he? Did you keep him all day? Did you notice he was sick when he came in? I would have either turned him away at the door or called them for pick up as soon as I realized he was sick - as long as it was an illness I exclude for. If it was just a runny nose or something I don't exclude for I wouldn't be too upset by it.
yodaone 06:52 PM 10-15-2016
Originally Posted by Crazy8:
How sick was he? Did you keep him all day? Did you notice he was sick when he came in? I would have either turned him away at the door or called them for pick up as soon as I realized he was sick - as long as it was an illness I exclude for. If it was just a runny nose or something I don't exclude for I wouldn't be too upset by it.
It was his first day so he was quiet and just sat and sucked his thumb for most of the day. Since I didn't know him, I wasn't sure he was sick. Parents kept him home the next two days, but I found out that they knew on Saturday that he was sick and they still brought him on Monday.
MarinaVanessa 07:38 PM 10-15-2016
If they're that new I'd take into consideration whether or not you emphasized the importance of not bringing a sick child to daycare as well as whether the parents have experience with daycare or not.

If you went over your policies with them especially your illness policy then I'd be pretty peeved. If this is their first time experiencing daycare then I'd be inclined to talk to them about it, stress the fact that they CANNOT bring a sick child to daycare EVER, and give them a written warning. If they have experience with daycare before then I don't think I'd be so willing to work with them.
yodaone 07:56 PM 10-15-2016
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
If they're that new I'd take into consideration whether or not you emphasized the importance of not bringing a sick child to daycare as well as whether the parents have experience with daycare or not.

If you went over your policies with them especially your illness policy then I'd be pretty peeved. If this is their first time experiencing daycare then I'd be inclined to talk to them about it, stress the fact that they CANNOT bring a sick child to daycare EVER, and give them a written warning. If they have experience with daycare before then I don't think I'd be so willing to work with them.
They were termed from their last provider
MarinaVanessa 08:04 PM 10-15-2016
Originally Posted by yodaone:
They were termed from their last provider
This tells me that they probably pushed the rules and limits at the last provider and now they're YOUR headache.

If it were me I would show them the door. Maybe third times a charm?
Mike 05:46 AM 10-16-2016
Sounds like they are expecting a nanny or babysitter at daycare rates. I would tell them to find a nanny.
Blackcat31 07:58 AM 10-16-2016
Personally for me, mutual respect and open communication are a priority verses filling a space/keeping a family.

I'd terminate care immediately.
Reply Up