Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Snow Closures
Unregistered 11:09 AM 02-08-2010
How do you handle closures when it snows. I live in Maryland where we just got 40" of snow and another storm coming Tuesday and Wednesay. Pretty much everything is closed in the area and the roads are terrible. Would you leave your daycare open? I live in a court which has not been plowed yet meaning that in the case of an emergency the emergency vehicles would not be able to get here.
TGT09 03:22 PM 02-08-2010
I have contemplated this as well (I live in Ohio, nowhere near as bad as MD) BUT can't justify closing since I don't actually have to leave my house. I understand where you are coming from though....sometimes it's nice to have a "snow day" too.
momma2girls 03:26 PM 02-08-2010
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
How do you handle closures when it snows. I live in Maryland where we just got 40" of snow and another storm coming Tuesday and Wednesay. Pretty much everything is closed in the area and the roads are terrible. Would you leave your daycare open? I live in a court which has not been plowed yet meaning that in the case of an emergency the emergency vehicles would not be able to get here.
OMG!!!! I heard about how much snow you are getting!! HOw Awful!!! I live in Iowa, we have bad weather, but not quite this much!!! How do parents even make it anywhere there, let alone your daycare???????
TGT09 03:27 PM 02-08-2010
Originally Posted by Iowa daycare:
How do parents even make it anywhere there, let alone your daycare???????
That was my other question?
momma2girls 03:36 PM 02-08-2010
It is really awful, how some parents risk their lives and their loved children, because they have already paid for the day!!!! I have had it happen twice in very severe weather this yr.!!!!! How ridiculous!!!!!!
Unregistered 03:44 PM 02-08-2010
It is ridiculous! I told them how dangerous it was just getting in to my neighbor and I had a family that was willing to "walk in" in 40" of snow drop their child off just so they could go back home since their places of business were closed. I understand that they are paying for the day but why risk your child's life in trecherous conditions especially if you don't even have to work that day.
Persephone 03:54 PM 02-08-2010
I think if the city is in a state of emergency, you should be closed and not charge for it.

I'd think that if the parent is not able to go to work because work closed due to snow they also should not have to pay. Not like they are just staying at home because they don't want go out or something.

If people can't get to your house, how can you be open?
momma2girls 04:07 PM 02-08-2010
It is ridiculous! I told them how dangerous it was just getting in to my neighbor and I had a family that was willing to "walk in" in 40" of snow drop their child off just so they could go back home since their places of business were closed. I understand that they are paying for the day but why risk your childs life in trecherous conditions especially if you don't even have to work that day.
WOW!!!!! This is so ridiculous!!!
momofboys 05:09 AM 02-09-2010
It is ridiculous! I told them how dangerous it was just getting in to my neighbor and I had a family that was willing to "walk in" in 40" of snow drop their child off just so they could go back home since their places of business were closed. I understand that they are paying for the day but why risk your childs life in trecherous conditions especially if you don't even have to work that day.
Wow, very surprised they would still bring their kids when they could just have fun with them at home. Why risk it? If the weather was that bad I likely would give a credit or a partial credit for the next week of service.
originalkat 05:32 AM 02-09-2010
This is what I have in my parent handbook. I would definetly close with that much snow. I can not believe they would bring their kid and just go back home. Horrible!

Inclement Weather

When severe weather occurs, Green Gate Preschool usually remains open even when public schools are closed. However, in the event extreme severe weather occurs which prevents safe travel or has caused power outages or other problems which interrupt the safe and proper care of your child, Green Gate will close. You are always encouraged to follow your instincts and keep your child home if you feel conditions are not safe. In the event I would need to close due to the circumstances listed above, regular tuition will be required.
Persephone 05:44 AM 02-09-2010
Originally Posted by originalkat:
This is what I have in my parent handbook. I would definetly close with that much snow. I can not believe they would bring their kid and just go back home. Horrible!

Inclement Weather

When severe weather occurs, Green Gate Preschool usually remains open even when public schools are closed. However, in the event extreme severe weather occurs which prevents safe travel or has caused power outages or other problems which interrupt the safe and proper care of your child, Green Gate will close. You are always encouraged to follow your instincts and keep your child home if you feel conditions are not safe. In the event I would need to close due to the circumstances listed above, regular tuition will be required.
So your saying that even though you are closed you are still going to make people pay?
originalkat 06:09 AM 02-09-2010
Yes. I have really never had to close for weather (in the 2 years I have been doing home daycare). Many times people do not bring their kids on snow days. They always still pay. But If I did have to close, regular tuition would be due. They pay in advance so they had already paid for the week anyway. I have never had a parent question this or complain.
AfterSchoolMom 06:39 AM 02-09-2010
I stay open during snow days unless the power is out or we get enough snow that the plows can't keep up and the roads are dangerous. We've had a record breaking winter here as well, but I only had to cancel care once (the first time all year). I credit half the day's rate when I have to cancel due to weather. I haven't had any parents complain about this either.
Unregistered 06:57 AM 02-09-2010
As much as I would not like to charge them for the days they do not come I can not afford that. This is my only income so it forces me to stay open. However I do feel they are risking their childrens lives by bringing them only to turn around and go home because they don't have to go to work. Also I feel that their places of business are still paying them even though they arent going to work so if I stay open and they do not bring their child then they should still have to pay me.
Persephone 09:49 AM 02-09-2010
As much as I would not like to charge them for the days they do not come I can not afford that. This is my only income so it forces me to stay open. However I do feel they are risking their childrens lives by bringing them only to turn around and go home because they don't have to go to work. Also I feel that their places of business are still paying them even though they arent going to work so if I stay open and they do not bring their child then they should still have to pay me.

I'd love to know what places of business are still paying their staff when they are closed due to weather. I know in this area no place does...unless your salary, then you end up making up that time anyways.
momofboys 10:17 AM 02-09-2010
Originally Posted by Persephone:
I'd love to know what places of business are still paying their staff when they are closed due to weather. I know in this area no place does...unless your salary, then you end up making up that time anyways.
Of the two sets of parents I work with both would get paid. One works for the state & the other is a teacher. In my husband's line of work (private company that does workers' comp, not through the state though) if they close due to the weather he would get paid too. The company looks at it as an act of God. Not the employee's fault & I see it the same way. It's not my fault the weather is bad, sort of like if your parent has a sick child & doesn't bring them. I still get paid then. However, I will likely only charge my parents who stay home at half the normal rate.
momma2girls 10:29 AM 02-09-2010
THere are several businesses in my area that will get paid if their company shuts down due to no power, weather, etc....
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 10:39 AM 02-09-2010
I personally stay open, we dont do the preschool, or normal routines because the big kids are home from school. but I dont close. I shovel a path from my door to the street, not the whole drive and they can drop off if they feel the need. I dont care if they go home and shovel sleep or spend quality time with their spouse. If they get their weinie hybird toyota stuck stuck trying to drop off,... not my issue. lol, But that is something I discuss when they call to see if Im open. I just tell them Im here, Ive shoveled but they need to decide if they can get here because I cant push them out. I do have a friend with a towing company though who may give them a break on cost. They park in the street instead of the drive. Ive got a full load today and we have no school for the big kids.
momma2girls 10:59 AM 02-09-2010
Yeah, I have never closed either, but on bad snowstorms, ice storms I should!! The parents risk their lives and their children's then go home and not go to work!!!
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 11:07 AM 02-09-2010
but iowa, thats not your problem, they are going to risk their lives going out whether they bring them to you or not, shopping or whatever. You cant close your business in the attempt to keep families home. I figure, if they are safe when here, thats all I can do,... I cant make the parent smarter, only give them a place to put their kid. And to be honest, Ive never been in 'life threatening weather' in the winter, from living in northern MI in 1978, to living in northern maine, to here. The scariest weather I have found is spring tornado season in Indiana. and by the time its here, its too late so I just do what I can,.. while they are here. Thats all I can do.

Yeah, I have never closed either, but on bad snowstorms, ice storms I should!! The parents risk their lives and their children's then go home and not go to work!!!

momma2girls 11:14 AM 02-09-2010
Originally Posted by laundryduchess@yahoo.com:
but iowa, thats not your problem, they are going to risk their lives going out whether they bring them to you or not, shopping or whatever. You cant close your business in the attempt to keep families home. I figure, if they are safe when here, thats all I can do,... I cant make the parent smarter, only give them a place to put their kid. And to be honest, Ive never been in 'life threatening weather' in the winter, from living in northern MI in 1978, to living in northern maine, to here. The scariest weather I have found is spring tornado season in Indiana. and by the time its here, its too late so I just do what I can,.. while they are here. Thats all I can do.
Yeah, they will keep risking their lives time after time.
Unregistered 02:27 PM 02-11-2010
I do not think a parent should be obligated to pay if the center is closed. In all cases at the parents work if they can not make it, they have two choices. If they have time available to take, take it, or not get paid.
Chickenhauler 05:08 AM 02-12-2010
While some of you may not have a child whose parents are in this boat, remember that somewhere, some daycare providers do.....

While everyone else is enjoying a "snow day" some people have to get the streets, highways, roads and city back up and running, and others who have to be at work to keep things on an even keel....the plow drivers, tow truck drivers, city workers, police, EMT's, prison guards, utility workers, furnace fixers, etc.

They can't just call in on a snow day, their presence is required so that tomorrow isn't a snow day, and the day after that, and the day after that....
momofboys 06:01 AM 02-12-2010
Originally Posted by Chickenhauler:
While some of you may not have a child whose parents are in this boat, remember that somewhere, some daycare providers do.....

While everyone else is enjoying a "snow day" some people have to get the streets, highways, roads and city back up and running, and others who have to be at work to keep things on an even keel....the plow drivers, tow truck drivers, city workers, police, EMT's, prison guards, utility workers, furnace fixers, etc.

They can't just call in on a snow day, their presence is required so that tomorrow isn't a snow day, and the day after that, and the day after that....
Totally true! I don't even really have a "snow day" policy. But both parents wanted to still pay me even though I don't require it. I told them they could pay me half instead of all. We do have a fairly large prison right down the road from us so it isn't out of the question that one day I may take on someone who has a job of the nature where you just don't close b/c the weather is bad. However, I think my point is I was still open regardless of whether the parent/s chose to go to work or not. Their work may have closed but mine did not! I still was open for business.
Unregistered 09:45 PM 12-15-2010
Yeah, they will keep risking their lives time after time.
Ok. What about centers? When not only are the parents risking their child's and their own safety then you have to consider the employees. How do you make that decision to stay open or close? I would feel responsible if one of my employees or families got hurt on their way to daycare...We don't charge if we close due to weather but we do for holidays or if the child doesn't come.
BentleysBands 03:42 AM 12-16-2010
here, we never get snow so when it comes, the whole city shuts down LOL...we are expecting from 9a-2p from 2-5" which is HUGE for us...so huge that LAST night ALL city schools were already canceled. I'm open but once it starts sticking badly to the roads (hoping by 10a) i will call the 2 parents that dropped off to come pickup...because i'm NOT being stuck with unruley kids because the roads r too dangerous to come get them...kwim?
which means tomorrow all will be closed too

but no, i dont charge if they do not come
Liliya 05:25 AM 12-16-2010
I am open and I do get paid,even if I do not have kids, but I do have at least 2 ALL the time,no meter what,because those 2 my next door neighbors. and yes! it is very sad that some parents would not keep their child home just because they paid.
laundrymom 05:34 AM 12-16-2010
I never close for weather. If they make the call to go to work and wreck it's not my fault. They are adults and can make that call for themselves. I'm sure they are better drivers than I am anyway. I've put 1386 miles on my van in the last 7 years. I'm not about to decide for someone else that the roads are too bad
boysx5 06:34 AM 12-16-2010
I stay opened as well I'm not the one that has to go out in it.
DancingQueen 06:37 AM 12-17-2010
Although I charge no matter what I am in Connecticut and have never had to close because of bad weather.

I figure I'm not leaving the house and do not have to drive anywhere and I have had full time jobs that required me to go to work in inclement weather so I can appreciate a daycare provider still being open and able to watch my child. I have also worked at businesses that have shut down in cases of a state emergency and those businesses always paid me for those days.

If a parent does not have to work and chooses not to because the state has shut down or even if it isn't that severe and it is just a bad storm.. I am still open. If they choose to keep their child home - they pay.
Tags:closures, maryland, snow
Reply Up