Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Cat pee???
marniewon 10:38 PM 03-21-2011
A little background - the daycare entry that we use is actually an old porch, converted to a room. There is an entry to the underneath part where our outdoor cats live during the colder months.

This morning, I was smelling an overwhelming cat pee smell. It stayed around all day. We do have 1 indoor cat, but she lives upstairs and never ventures downstairs to the main level. I thought at first that maybe something that the cat could have peed on was in the entry, but didn't see anything that could have been the culprit. My other thought was that some other cats got under the entry and peed and it was coming up through the flooring, but my dh said that's not likely, since we've never smelled it before, and we've had cats living under there for a long time.

The smell was ONLY in the entryway of the house (there is a door that can be closed between the entryway and the rest of the house, and it was closed all day).

So here's my dilemma. I'm starting to think that the smell was on something that one of my dc families brought in. When looking back, I didn't really smell anything until after they got here. How in the world do I tell them that their stuff reeks?? I like this family, and I would hate to embarrass them like that, but I really don't want that smell in my house!! I will check in the morning when they get here if I smell anything off, as just after they left, I didn't smell it anymore, before figuring out what to do. Just wondering how you bring something like that up?

Anyone with cats knows that you can't get that smell out, and I really don't want it in my entryway where other families come in and smell it. I don't want to smell it.

Any thoughts?
SilverSabre25 03:51 AM 03-22-2011
With something like that, I would say that it's entirely appropriate to find the culprit, bag it up, and hand it to the parents at pick-up, with a very apologetic expression and tone of voice and say something along the lines of, "I'm really sorry, but I think your cat must have peed on this."
BentleysBands 05:12 AM 03-22-2011
as a cat owner for years (we have 9) you can get urine out of floors/carpets etc with success...theres a homemade remedy. but first , if the smell leaves when dc closes it probably is their stuff (did ur cat pee on their stuff tho?)

i would wait to determine WHOS items it is and then kindly say something IF you know your cat didnt urinate on their items.

i personally am a cleaning freak. have to be with 9 cats and 6 dogs
marniewon 05:22 AM 03-22-2011
Originally Posted by BentleysBands:
as a cat owner for years (we have 9) you can get urine out of floors/carpets etc with success...theres a homemade remedy. but first , if the smell leaves when dc closes it probably is their stuff (did ur cat pee on their stuff tho?)

i would wait to determine WHOS items it is and then kindly say something IF you know your cat didnt urinate on their items.

i personally am a cleaning freak. have to be with 9 cats and 6 dogs
My cat couldn't have peed on their stuff as she lives upstairs and never comes downstairs. She doesn't have access to that part of the house, where their stuff is stored - which is why I was so confused as to where the smell was coming from.

Anyway, as strange as it is, I don't smell it today. I didn't smell it after they left and I don't smell it now that they are back. Odd! Unless it was on their stuff and mom realized it and washed it.

I would be super interested in learning of the home remedy to get that smell out of carpets/floors though!
BentleysBands 05:27 AM 03-22-2011
Originally Posted by marniewon:
My cat couldn't have peed on their stuff as she lives upstairs and never comes downstairs. She doesn't have access to that part of the house, where their stuff is stored - which is why I was so confused as to where the smell was coming from.

Anyway, as strange as it is, I don't smell it today. I didn't smell it after they left and I don't smell it now that they are back. Odd! Unless it was on their stuff and mom realized it and washed it.

I would be super interested in learning of the home remedy to get that smell out of carpets/floors though!
i meant the outside cats? anyways, glad you dont smell today

heres the recipe and it DOES work!! i had a male cat spray before he was neutered . did this and now, 2 yrs later you cant smell it on the carpet!! even putting your nose on it and smelling. i was sooo amazed!! NOTHING on the market works, trust me, bought it all. you THINK it does but wait ...it comes back.

http://www.catsofaustralia.com/urinestainremoval.htm
marniewon 07:18 AM 03-22-2011
Originally Posted by BentleysBands:
i meant the outside cats? anyways, glad you dont smell today

heres the recipe and it DOES work!! i had a male cat spray before he was neutered . did this and now, 2 yrs later you cant smell it on the carpet!! even putting your nose on it and smelling. i was sooo amazed!! NOTHING on the market works, trust me, bought it all. you THINK it does but wait ...it comes back.

http://www.catsofaustralia.com/urinestainremoval.htm
Thank you thank you!!!! I've tried everything on the market too and nothing works permanently!
MyAngels 07:21 AM 03-22-2011
Just be sure to do as the site says and test on a hidden area, as peroxide tends to discolor some fabrics. I spilled it once on a rug and it took all the color out .
SilverSabre25 07:29 AM 03-22-2011
Thanks Bentley, I'm going to be trying that in our playroom. First I have to track down the source of the stink down there though...bleh. We've been trapped in our living room for two days while I try and figure out WHY (well, where) the lower level reeks the way it does.
Tags:cat pee, cats
Reply Up