Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What is Wrong With People?
gbcc 05:17 PM 10-07-2010
Ugh parents just make me so stinking mad. I am so tired of being disrespected and under appreciated. So, I just bought my first home and I'm moving about a mile down the road. Now I am open from 6:30am until 5:30pm. All of my kids leave at 5pm except this one family. Well.... ugh today she comes and tells me that they are concerned with the move and the extra gas mileage and time. What, seriously it's a mile. Then she says they are having trouble getting her at 5:30. The child's father works 15 minutes away and gets out at 4pm. There is no reason for her to get picked up late.

So, here is what the mother thinks would be fair...
She would like me to stay open until at least 6pm and they would like a reduction in her child care rate due to the extra driving. WHAT??? SERIOUSLY??
DancingQueen 05:26 PM 10-07-2010
Are you kidding?
That is almost funny - if it weren't so sad.
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 05:28 PM 10-07-2010
so dad wants an extra 30 minutes to go a mile? what does he drive a horse and cart? and a reduction in fees for it as well??? ROFL,... dont let the door hit ya.... where the good Lord,.. well,.. you get it. lol
safechner 05:51 PM 10-07-2010
What an idiot. It sounds like they are trying to make any excuse to get it out of your rate.. If they are complained about it then I will let them go..
My4SunshineGirlsNY 06:08 PM 10-07-2010
Ha! Why do some feel it's on their terms? That is crazy...I would no way extend your hours...if the dad gets out at 4, why doesn't he come get the child?
handemom 06:15 PM 10-07-2010
that is beyond crazy! who do they think they are? I wouldnt change a darn thing! if it was me, the hours would remain the same......and the pay. it's not their choice.

Good luck with your move!
sahm2three 06:50 PM 10-07-2010
Uhhhh....ok. Because the world revolves around you! Sorry they must have gotten hit with the stupid stick! Good luck dealing with that! LOL!
momofsix 07:44 PM 10-07-2010
Maybe you should RAISE their rates, since dad can't pickk up his daughter after work, and you need to pay for this new house-which is thier child's new daycare!
Live and Learn 09:02 PM 10-07-2010
It would be tempting to print them out a google map showing dad the quickest route from his work to your new house.....those maps generally include driving time!....(by the way...congrats on the new house.)
BentleysBands 03:18 AM 10-08-2010
wow i would have a hard time not laughing IN their faces....personally if you CAN afford it, let them go and surprise them w/it! they obviously do not appreciate you !
momofboys 04:34 AM 10-08-2010
I am shocked at their boldness! Wow, you move a mile away & they aexpect more time in care & less $$$. IT does not add up. How did you respond when mon said that? I would be even stricter with this family. I would not think twice about re-doing their contract to include EARLIER pick-up hours (like 5:00, since dad is off at 4:00). The fact that he picks up so late is ridiculous. sorry you have to deal with such imbeciles!
DBug 05:05 AM 10-08-2010
What did you say to her? I would have a very hard time keeping a straight face. I think I would have assumed she was joking -- I would have laughed out loud . Anybody who seriously makes those demands is asking to be cut loose!
gbcc 05:15 AM 10-08-2010
I didn't know what to say, my mouth seriously just dropped. Here's the conversation!

Me: Well, it's probably not even a mile away and it's on the same road.

Mom: It's a mile further from us though and we have such a hard time getting to work on time as it is.

Me: I'm sorry about that, but when you get her brother on the early bus an hour earlier couldn't you just wake dcg up as well?

Mom: It's a little too early so if I can go into work later then I wont get out on time and I couldn't be here any earlier than 6pm.

Me: Ok, but dad gets out at 4pm. He works 10 miles away so at the very latest he should be here at 4:30.

Mom: Well he likes to go home and have some time to himself

Me: Well, I like my family time and since I am already up at 6:30 I am not willing to put in any extra time. As it it, all of my children leave by 5pm so just dcg is here that late.

Mom: Ok, I'll have to talk with my husband. I haven't gotten any sleep all week. We really love it here but it's just going to be such a strain on us now.

Me: Well I'm sorry to hear that but remember it's two full week notice. So this week doesn't count since it's nearly over.

It's almost comical if it didn't insult me so much!!
MyAngels 05:23 AM 10-08-2010
[quote=gbcc;49718]Me: Well I'm sorry to hear that but remember it's two full week notice. So this week doesn't count since it's nearly over. QUOTE]

Good for you for saying this - I'm not sure I would have put it quite so nicely!
Blackcat31 05:45 AM 10-08-2010
You should tell her that you charge $x for 6:30-5 and then tell her you charge double that amount from 5 to 6. I have found that money changes everything when it comes to respecting opening and closing times. I am open from 7:30-5:30. I charge $10 per 15 minutes for any early drop offs or late pick ups. Seems no one really repeats the behavior after being charged. I look at it like over-time. I just smile and say "No problem, but keep in mind the rates for non-business hours..." Works every time. And on the flip side if the parent just pays up and continues to do it...well that's okay because look at the extra money you'll make! I am strict about it too, for example they get charged the $10 for 5:31-5:44 and on the 5:45 mark, I immediately add the next $10. Stand your ground!
momma2girls 06:16 AM 10-08-2010
I once had a Father that woke up @ 3:00 and had to work out, etc. and he couldn't make it here, 10 min. away before 4:30- whatever!!!!
tymaboy 06:24 AM 10-08-2010
Something to keep in mind is your contract is with the address you are at now, not you new address. You moving will actualy break your current contract & that will give them an out of the contract. I remember something similar last yr & I believe it was Tom Copland you said that moving breaks the current contract. You will want to have everyone sign a new contract with the new address.
DanceMom 06:41 AM 10-08-2010
Unbelievable...all these parents I swear expect us to do everything for THEM..why is that? Why do these parents think we work on their schedules? If these times dont work for you, I would suggest a center that is open later. I try and work with the parents, but when it doesnt make sense ( like this situation ) then I would not bend.

He likes to have time to himself? Then maybe he shouldnt have had kids !!!
gbcc 07:31 AM 10-08-2010
Oh, and I should mention that mom works for the state and has for the past 10 plus years and dad works for the county so they make excellent money. Dad just bought a new corvette and they go to Disney 3 times, yes seriously, a year. They have always been cheap. They try to make excuses all the time for why they shouldn't pay due to days off and I don't budge.

Mom decided they are going to go visit another daycare that is closer to home and open later. She mentioned it was her neighbor. Unbelievable.... This neighbor that does daycare, the dcm has complained about her for the 4 years I have known her. She doesn't watch the kids, she hires teenagers to help out, she takes them for walks at pick up time and doesn't tell the parents where they went so they have to wait, she is over her legal limit etc. Mom mentioned this way they can transition into her brother watching the dcg. Her brother is 9 and and she is 5. It wasn't his choice to add a sibling, y should he babysit. It's a shame when parents compromise the child's life over money. They clearly have enough.
AfterSchoolMom 07:41 AM 10-08-2010
Originally Posted by :
Mom mentioned this way they can transition into her brother watching the dcg. Her brother is 9 and and she is 5.
Wow... that's illegal in my state. Kids aren't legally allowed to babysit here until they're 11. Even so, I think even that's a bit too young. I have a 9 year old myself and I can't imagine them being responsible for another child!!
DCMom 08:03 AM 10-08-2010
Originally Posted by tymaboy:
Something to keep in mind is your contract is with the address you are at now, not you new address. You moving will actualy break your current contract & that will give them an out of the contract. I remember something similar last yr & I believe it was Tom Copland you said that moving breaks the current contract. You will want to have everyone sign a new contract with the new address.
This is a very good point. I would use it to address the issues you are having with this family. A good time to change your hours, reinforce your late fees, etc. If they choose not to sign the new contract, then I would consider it their two weeks notice.

Congratulations on your new house
gbcc 08:23 AM 10-08-2010
That is a good point about the contracts! It never occured to me. I just may make my hours 5pm with the move!

Also, 8 is the legal age to stay home alone. I believe also it's ok to babysit. Dad works in CPS so I'm sure they would know. I did an internship at DSS and we had a case where the parents were being accused of neglect because they were high and drunk while caring for the children. Well CPS found it not guilty because there was a 9 year old child present in the room to help care for the younger ones. They had to do drug and alcohol counseling and that was it.

NYS is so messed up in so many ways. They can't figure out why everyone is relocating. Duh
MarinaVanessa 08:30 AM 10-08-2010
Congrats on your new house!! And great that you stuck to your guns. Sounds like a DCM that I have lol. If it were me having this conversation it would go something along these lines.

(parent asking for a reduction in rates for extra distance & for DC to stay open for extra time):

"Okay so I thought about what you said and you have two options. We can keep the rate and pick-up time as is or this is what I figured was fair. The weekly rate now is $155 (using my rates here) It's an extra mile for you each way so two miles per trip so I will reduce the price based on what the national mileage standard is so that's $0.50 per mile which comes to $1 off per trip. You come twice a day so $2 a day so that makes it $10 a week off bringing it down to $145 a week.

Then you need me to stay open until 6pm and my regular hours are until 5pm. Now, you stay here until 5:30pm which is 30 minutes later than my regular business hours at no additional charge but since now you need me to stay open until 6pm that's an full hour of overtime which I charge at $5 an hour. So multiply that by 5 days a week, makes $25 a week bringing the total to $170 a week. When would you like to start the new rate? "
SilverSabre25 08:33 AM 10-08-2010
Originally Posted by :
"Okay so I thought about what you said and you have two options. We can keep the rate and pick-up time as is or this is what I figured was fair. The weekly rate now is $155 (using my rates here) It's an extra mile for you each way so two miles per trip so I will reduce the price based on what the national mileage standard is so that's $0.50 per mile which comes to $1 off per trip. You come twice a day so $2 a day so that makes it $10 a week off bringing it down to $145 a week.

Then you need me to stay open until 6pm and my regular hours are until 5pm. Now, you stay here until 5:30pm which is 30 minutes later than my regular business hours at no additional charge but since now you need me to stay open until 6pm that's an full hour of overtime which I charge at $5 an hour. So multiply that by 5 days a week, makes $25 a week bringing the total to $170 a week. When would you like to start the new rate? "
Love it!
gbcc 08:58 AM 10-08-2010
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
Congrats on your new house!! And great that you stuck to your guns. Sounds like a DCM that I have lol. If it were me having this conversation it would go something along these lines.

(parent asking for a reduction in rates for extra distance & for DC to stay open for extra time):

I don't think I could say that with a straight face lol!
Unregistered 08:59 AM 10-08-2010
Ha the nerve of some parents. Tell her flat out your contracted hours are till 5:30pm and the rate WILL be staying the same and she has a choice to find another daycare to meet her needs but she is REQUIRED to give 2 weeks notice and you expect 2 weeks to be paid in full even if she doesnt wanna take the 2 week notice. Of course I know you really wanna tell her to go to H E double L.
Lucy 11:30 AM 10-08-2010
Originally Posted by tymaboy:
Although the parents are being extremely petty and unreasonable (dad should pick up right after work)..... the point you make about moving breaking the contract is a valid one. I hadn't thought about that. I say just keep going as you're going and not mention the fact that your contract is technically broken. Get her to sign a new one using the new address and then breathe a sigh of relief!
misol 12:10 PM 10-08-2010
Originally Posted by gbcc:
That is a good point about the contracts! It never occured to me. I just may make my hours 5pm with the move!

Also, 8 is the legal age to stay home alone. I believe also it's ok to babysit. Dad works in CPS so I'm sure they would know. I did an internship at DSS and we had a case where the parents were being accused of neglect because they were high and drunk while caring for the children. Well CPS found it not guilty because there was a 9 year old child present in the room to help care for the younger ones. They had to do drug and alcohol counseling and that was it.

NYS is so messed up in so many ways. They can't figure out why everyone is relocating. Duh
Good call on the contract tymaboy. I would do what you said and give her a new contract with the new address, the new 5:00 pickup time, and your new overtime rate. Dad needs alone time, huh? Well he will just have to get his alone time when the rest of us get ours - after the kids are in bed!
Tags:appreciation, bad parent
Reply Up