Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Sunscreen
momatheart 03:16 PM 04-14-2011
Do you provide it or do you have the parents provide for their child?
broncomom1973 03:19 PM 04-14-2011
Parents bring it.
TBird 03:20 PM 04-14-2011
They bring....I slather.

BTW, have you SEEN the cost of sunscreen these days, LOL!!!!
SandeeAR 03:20 PM 04-14-2011
I just sent home a note on a Friday and had all 3 parents bring a bottle. I told them to remember, I will be using it as a community bottle. So please bring something safe for 8 mo-16 mos.

All brought 3 a bottle on Monday.
Abigail 03:23 PM 04-14-2011
I would like to provide my own, but having them provide it as a community isn't bad either. I just don't like to store things that will not be needed for more than a month at a time. So when I first open I'll have that I provide it and if it doesn't work out so well or gets too expensive the parents will provide it.
SandeeAR 03:32 PM 04-14-2011
Originally Posted by Abigail:
I would like to provide my own, but having them provide it as a community isn't bad either. I just don't like to store things that will not be needed for more than a month at a time. So when I first open I'll have that I provide it and if it doesn't work out so well or gets too expensive the parents will provide it.
Your going to go thru a lot of sunscreen during the summer months. That stuff is EXPENSIVE!!! $6-$8 a bottle. I only have 3 kids and figure I will go thru a bottle every other week.
daycare 03:37 PM 04-14-2011
I ask for the spray on kind so that i dont have to touch their body or face to rub it it in.... I love it. I ask for the parents to bring one each....
missnikki 03:37 PM 04-14-2011
At the beginning of summer, each kid brings me:
-2 spray sunscreens 50 SPF or higher for full-timers, 1 can for part timers
-1 box bandaids
-1 box kleenex

for community use. These items are the variables that get used intermittently, some use more than others, and it keeps the price of care down. I supply anything else that runs out, it ALWAYS does with sunscreen. The other stuff, if I still have leftovers from last year, they get a break and don't have to supply for that time.
daycare 03:49 PM 04-14-2011
I actually have a section in my PHB titled Summer Rules... lol

Parents dont seem to understand that even though this is home daycare, I have strict rules. I don't want anyone getting hurt on my dime and the kids are not allowed to play the same here as if they were at home under their parents watch.

Some of the parents complained when I wrote this into the PHB, but I told them it was necessary to keep all the kids safe. One familly left because they thought it was silly that I wrote into my contract that all children must go down the slide feet first and will not walk up the slide....

Oh well cya later..
TBird 04:06 PM 04-14-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
Some of the parents complained when I wrote this into the PHB, but I told them it was necessary to keep all the kids safe. One familly left because they thought it was silly that I wrote into my contract that all children must go down the slide feet first and will not walk up the slide....

Oh well cya later..
Oh WOW!!! Wouldn't you want that to be a rule so YOUR kid wouldn't get kicked in the face??? Some of these parents don't want Little Johnny following any rules but what happens to him in the real world??? UGH!!!
daycare 04:15 PM 04-14-2011
loll yeah you would think that the would be thankful that I care so much abotu their kids that I will go above and beyond to make sure that everyone is safe at all times...

I was actually happy that they left the dad was a freak....lol
snbauser 05:24 PM 04-14-2011
I supply it. I have 12 kids. There is no way I would want 12 different sunscreens. I have one who needs super sensitive skin stuff and her parents supply hers. Otherwise I have the spray on kind for their arms, legs, necks and the sticks for their faces. I just line them up and sunscreen them all. I also supply hats for the summer that the kids must wear when we go outside. They get to decorate them at the beginning of the summer and they stay here until the end of the summer.
Abigail 08:15 PM 04-14-2011
Originally Posted by SandeeAR:
Your going to go thru a lot of sunscreen during the summer months. That stuff is EXPENSIVE!!! $6-$8 a bottle. I only have 3 kids and figure I will go thru a bottle every other week.
We don't have very many summer months here. LOL I'll have to go out and look at the types of sunscreen we have. I'm sure someplace will have a good deal and we will only need to use it once a day.
Meyou 12:47 AM 04-15-2011
Every family must provide a bottle of pump or aeresol SPF 45 suncreen for each child. I do community suncreening too....lining them up, suncreening and then giving them their hat. I apply sunblock 3-4 times a day so I can't do seperate bottles. I get everyone to bring the type I find easiest and use them one at a time. If we run out I get parents to bring in another each or $2-3 so I can purchase what we need to get through the rest of the summer.
daysofelijah 04:25 AM 04-15-2011
Parents provide it. I have some parents that are picky about what kind they use.
Country Kids 06:20 AM 04-15-2011
My parents provide it because all skin types are different. Also for my state you have to have the parents fill out a medical form(the same one we use for medicine) to have it applied to them and it also has to be put up with the medicines so locked up. Gets to be a pain in tush area if you know what I mean. I don't see why it can't be kept in cubbies because my children are not allowed in them once their things are put away and also I have a door on my cubbies that I can lock if it would get to be a problem.
SilverSabre25 06:24 AM 04-15-2011
My dcparents provide it because ummmm....I don't usually use it on my own kid or myself. Only if we're going to be out in the FULL blazing sun for a whole day (like zoo, pool, state fair, etc). My backyard has lots of shade.

I only use it if the parents request it.
Blackcat31 06:29 AM 04-15-2011
I have parents supply it. I also ask that each bottle be the spray on kind because I hate having it on my hands. Parents are required to apply first covering in the a.m. before drop off and I will re-apply during the day.
KEG123 06:30 AM 04-15-2011
I'm looking into making my own. Natural and cheap.
Evansmom 06:30 AM 04-15-2011
Parents provide it AND apply it in the mornings before care. I will reapply to arms, shoulders and faces but the rest must be done at home.
broncomom1973 10:20 AM 04-15-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I have parents supply it. I also ask that each bottle be the spray on kind because I hate having it on my hands. Parents are required to apply first covering in the a.m. before drop off and I will re-apply during the day.
I am going to request parents to apply it in the a.m. too. In the upcoming weeks as it gets warmer, we will head outside earlier and in order to have it applied at least 30 minutes before sun exposure, they can apply it at home Also, everyone here uses their own. I keep it in their bags or locked in my cupboard by my back door and honestly it takes almost 10 minutes when these kids are wearing tank tops and sandals to apply it correctly. I buy the spray on for my own kids, but in order to really get their faces good, I have to spray it in my hands and apply it carefully (my kids are very fair complected). I also have one little girl with a facial defect and some scarring that requires a little extra care on application.
countrymom 10:29 AM 04-15-2011
I supply it, I buy a large size of it (tru sells it) is the pink bottle thats for babys. It has a pump on it and its great, I leave it on the counter and even my own kids use it. There is no way I want all these bottles everywhere. Also I paid under 20 dollars for the large size and it has lasted us for 2 summers.
jojosmommy 10:31 AM 04-15-2011
Can I first mention that I hate sunscreen. I apply it when we go out in the direct sun or play in the backyard- even though it is shaded. I buy the spray on stuff spray it on and rub it in and use the sticks for faces. 2 of my dck are dark complected and mom says she never applys it. I still do just to be certian. The other kids including my own are very fair complected so I feel like all I do it spray, rub, wash my hands, repeat.

I ask that all kids bring hats to leave here to wear in the sun but I may consider buying and having the kids decorate their own to be left here. Where did you get yours?
DancingQueen 10:32 AM 04-15-2011
I LOVE the community idea!
That would last me a while too
What if you have one family with 2 kids and the others only have one child.
does everyone still just bring one bottle?
DCMom 10:34 AM 04-15-2011
Originally Posted by countrymom:
I supply it, I buy a large size of it (tru sells it) is the pink bottle thats for babys. It has a pump on it and its great, I leave it on the counter and even my own kids use it. There is no way I want all these bottles everywhere. Also I paid under 20 dollars for the large size and it has lasted us for 2 summers.
I'll have to find that, that's a great deal.

I have a 'Sunscreen Fund' ; I just sent out the note today; $10/per kid and I buy it and apply it. It works out pretty well, then I buy it as needed.
Cat Herder 10:36 AM 04-15-2011
I supply Neutrogena dry oil spray, SPF 100, and have the parents sign annual medication forms for it.

If a parent chooses something else, they have to provide it.
missnikki 10:39 AM 04-15-2011
Originally Posted by DancingQueen:
twice as much skin equals twice as much sunscreen.
lucky 10:48 AM 04-15-2011
[quote=Blackcat31;105015]I have parents supply it. I also ask that each bottle be the spray on kind because I hate having it on my hands. Parents are required to apply first covering in the a.m. before drop off and I will re-apply during the day.[/QUOTE
This is exactly what I do too. Only spray sunscreen at my house!
SandeeAR 11:50 AM 04-15-2011
Wish this thread had been up before I sent my note out last Friday, LOL. I would have requested spray on. Just never thought of it, even tho, that is what I use!

If a family had two kids, I would request one bottle PER kid.
Christian Mother 12:05 PM 04-15-2011
A parent ashually recommended this type of sunscreen as it is Paraben Free. Some sunscreens have it in the ingredients and ashually make a child more exposed to sun raise then blocks it. She brings it for her own child and I have my own but I am going to switch to the Kiss My Face brand. You can find them at Sprouts or any Natural store. I also talked to my Pedestrian and he said the same thing. I had no ideal!! I am going to ask the parents to bring one each to daycare bc AZ weather here is brutal!!
Unregistered 12:23 PM 04-15-2011
Here's a trick I learned. You know those triangle prism (yes I taught elementary school for 11 years) make up applicators? Get a pack of them. On the long side, write each child's name in sharpie. Use the small squarish end to apply sunscreen to faces. It works great! Much easier to avoid the eyes and cover everything well. I just keep each child's in his/her cubby and replace as needed. So worth the small expense to make life easier.
Meyou 04:21 AM 04-16-2011
Originally Posted by DancingQueen:
I do one bottle per child. My families with multiples supply multiple bottles. I'm also a lover of spray on. It's in my contract for one bottle of spray on or aersol only.
kidkair 07:38 AM 04-16-2011
Originally Posted by SandeeAR:
Wow! I had 5 to 6 kids last year and each brought their own bottle. We may have used 1/2 the bottle over the entire summer. We were outside a minimum of 5 hours a day. I don't over apply because everyone needs some exposure to the sun for vitamin D.
PitterPatter 08:08 AM 04-16-2011
I have always supplied my own unless a parent wanted something else. Now with the cost going up and enrolling a couple more kids I would like to have the parents supply it but my contract states that I will supply it so not sure what I will do.

I recall a mix up I had where I put the wrong screen on a child and at pick up he smelled different and it caused an issue (as everything did with this anal parent) So for those of u with commuinty sunscreen do u just use the dif kinds on all kids, mark names and make sure this child get this and that 1 gets that, or only accept a particular brand?
missnikki 08:57 AM 04-16-2011
Originally Posted by PitterPatter:
So for those of u with commuinty sunscreen do u just use the dif kinds on all kids, mark names and make sure this child get this and that 1 gets that, or only accept a particular brand?
I tell them they are bringing it for everyone to share. I also tell them that if they want a specific brand to use, to bring enough (1 can for every 10 days of care) for the summer, and to label it, and to tell the child to hand it to me at sunscreen time or else they get the community spray. (I have SA's, it works for that age to make them responsible, plus I help remind them.)
Unregistered 12:05 PM 04-16-2011
Yeah but you cant use the spray on for there faces. I started out having parents provide it but now I do. I have far fewer kids so I dont mind providing it. I love the community idea and the fund idea.
momma2girls 10:37 AM 04-18-2011
I started having every family, appy it every am, before coming to daycare. We do go out around 10:00 everyday that it is nice out, and possibly in the late afternoon before pick up as well. I used to have 5 children to place sunscreen on every am, it was definately a pain. Then about 4 yrs. ago, I had a Dad tell me his daughter was sunburned, even though, I looked the next am, there wasn't even a pink mark, or anything. From then on they placed it on the children.
JenNJ 10:41 AM 04-18-2011
They supply me with a LARGE bottle. I also have them apply before the children arrive. I don't want the blame for sunburns placed on me.
Tags:sunscreen
Reply Up