Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Quick Question
cherryhill 08:46 PM 06-09-2011
My weekly full time rate is 225.00. I am open from 7:30-5:30.
What would you charge extra for staying open later? 7:30pm one day and 6:30pm another night, so now I am working one 12 hr. Shift and a 11hr shift.

The mom was paying daily 55.00 with one Friday a month. Tonight at pick up she said see you tomorrow. So I text her the balance for Friday and she says ohhh I thought full time rate was $225.00 not even sure how she came up with this number we only discussed a daily rate.
bice99 10:30 PM 06-09-2011
Where do you live and what age is this for?

Regardless of that, your FT weekly rate is a base rate for X hours per day (mine is now 9 instead of 10). Anything beyond that is $X per hour or portion of an hour. If she needs you those extra hours on a regular basis, change her contract so it reflects the days/hours and total cost for the entire week. That's how I did mine. Then if she happens to show up early, she still pays. Plus, she might find someone who can magically pick up the child at 5:30 if she realizes she has to pay more.
Country Kids 06:46 AM 06-10-2011
Personally I wouldn't stay open late. Really think this over because if you do it for one, all your clients may want you do to this for them.

If you feel you really need to just double what it would break down to hourly and charge that. You make some wonderful money doing childcare! If I could make that much it would make me feel on top of the world.
wdmmom 06:54 AM 06-10-2011
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
Personally I wouldn't stay open late. Really think this over because if you do it for one, all your clients may want you do to this for them.
I completely agree! You give in for one family and they're all are going to want their piece of the pie too!
Cat Herder 07:03 AM 06-10-2011
First, I am nauseous since your rate is more than I get for two full-timers.....

Second, if you make an exception it is then the new RULE. I would not do it without attaching a fee to it.

Sounds like she is doing the math by dividing your weekly rate by 5 to come up with her rate in her head .

I have had many a parent try to deduct that number from my pay when they did not come for one reason or another. I still does not work....
melskids 07:14 AM 06-10-2011
[quote=Catherder;119041 I have had many a parent try to deduct that number from my pay when they did not come for one reason or another. I still does not work....[/QUOTE]

i had a parent deduct .75 cents once off of the check because she showed up 15 minutes early lol
cherryhill 08:20 AM 06-10-2011
Originally Posted by Country Kids:

If you feel you really need to just double what it would break down to hourly and charge that. You make some wonderful money doing childcare! If I could make that much it would make me feel on top of the world.
This is a good idea. Double their daily rate would make overtime $9.00 an hour. I have been watching him since the end of April under the assumption that this was temporary. Grandma was watching him but broke her ankle. I figured I could do this for a few months. I have three kids starting in September. I don't think grandma wants to watch him anymore. Those two long days suck for me and my family.
cherryhill 08:23 AM 06-10-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
First, I am nauseous since your rate is more than I get for two full-timers.....

Second, if you make an exception it is then the new RULE. I would not do it without attaching a fee to it.

Sounds like she is doing the math by dividing your weekly rate by 5 to come up with her rate in her head .

I have had many a parent try to deduct that number from my pay when they did not come for one reason or another. I still does not work....

I'm sure it all evens out. I live in CA the price of living is pretty outrageous!!
But with this amount I can watch a low ratio of kids. I only watch three one is my daughter so no pay for her.
daycare 09:27 AM 06-10-2011
Originally Posted by cherryhill:
I'm sure it all evens out. I live in CA the price of living is pretty outrageous!!
But with this amount I can watch a low ratio of kids. I only watch three one is my daughter so no pay for her.
I also live in CA and get about the same rate..... I too say it all evens out. OUr cost of living is a lot higher than most other parts of the country.
I know that cherry lives in Orange County, as I used to as well and NOTHING there is cheap....except the men....lmao jk..

I just moved from Orange county a few years ago to Northern CAli thinking that I may be able to escape the high cost of living, but I ended up moving to the SF bay and it actually cost more here than where I was living.... UGH....
Cat Herder 10:01 AM 06-10-2011
Originally Posted by cherryhill:
I know it does... Down here things are much cheaper and land is widely available.
daycare 11:39 AM 06-10-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
I know it does... Down here things are much cheaper and land is widely available.
I was going to mention the land....When I lived in Orange county I had a nice size house, but the house took up all the yard. We called them bowling alley houses. Tall, narrow and you could pass a pot through your window to your neighbor. I had zero yard.....But I had the beach 3 blocks away.......
Tags:rates
Reply Up