Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>2 Word... School Agers
KDC 02:21 PM 02-18-2013
So... I have 2 9 yr. old drop ins that my kids My kids are 5 & 7, and these are twin 9 yr. olds. The Girl 9 yr. old is great, she's a great role model for my daughter to look up to. She reads, draws pictures, plays games with my 5 yr. old daughter. She's kind to the other DCK's and is all around a great kid. The 9 yr. old twin boy is a different story. He's a little difficult, will search out a remote for the Tv and just turn it on - UM... Nope, no TV during daycare hours. He'll remove my phone off my charger and start playing with it -UM Nope... this is MY phone. No permission asked. He snuck into the basement and tried turning on our Wii -- oh, and he ruined the plastic covering we use for our controllers

I have board games (Monopoly, Apples to Apples Jr., sequence, Spot it, etc., large box of mini lego's, took a large roll of paper and laid out the paper with art supplies to make a 'city'... and he still acts like this. I know it's few and far between for these kids, but the day can't be over fast enough.

It's a 'friend' of my Mom's kids, so I've been putting up with it, but it will soon be ending - they're just getting too old.
daycarediva 02:25 PM 02-18-2013
That STINKS! I bet your dd loves dcg though!

SA kids are always hit or miss. I am super selective about the ones I take/keep and they have to be able to play, not plugged in!
Blackcat31 03:07 PM 02-18-2013
Oooo, I think the next time they are there, I'd be letting some of the other kids paly the Wii while someone who is destructive gets to sit and watch.

Next time he is at your house, I would make sure he is your shadow. If he doesn't like it, tough beans....you reap what you sew and if he is being so sneaky then he can't be trusted.

Are the parents aware of his sneakiness?
Starburst 03:58 PM 02-18-2013
This may sound bad but I think that does seem to be a problem with school-age boys in daycare... The girls usually still love playing and interacting with the little ones but the boys tend to become more distructive as they get older because they get bored easily and are starting to get to the age where they challenge authority. At least that is what I noticed at a daycare I used to work at; the girls would still be in high school and trying to come over to visit and hang out (some of them were hired as junior assistants) some of the boys would still behave and come by if they haven't been there for a while (or when they have their own kids) but around 10 the boys started acting up more and getting bored.

Although I did watch a 9 year old girl at my house all the time and she also had issues with following rules; her teachers even made a comment to me once when I was picking her up from school and looking for her: "That girl is just... everywhere...." Although I think she may have had ADHD or a really short attention spand.
KDC 06:18 PM 02-18-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Oooo, I think the next time they are there, I'd be letting some of the other kids paly the Wii while someone who is destructive gets to sit and watch.

Next time he is at your house, I would make sure he is your shadow. If he doesn't like it, tough beans....you reap what you sew and if he is being so sneaky then he can't be trusted.

Are the parents aware of his sneakiness?
Yes, they are aware... and are almost at their wits end. They've taken away electronics, put him on 'home improvement' plans to keep him in his beloved sport (hockey)... he's missed a season, so I know the parents are working to resolve the situation, they're not the ignoring type of parents. He has been slowly improving. I just have to keep reminding him to ask permission and respect our home and items in our home. As soon as I caught him at being sneaky, he would quickly apologize, then immerse himself with the other kids, or a book. After about 6 warnings this morning, he got the gist and was better by this afternoon. I just spent more time redirecting him than my 12 month old
Candy 06:34 PM 02-18-2013
I had it the other way around. Boy was a angel but the girl was a nightmare. She hit other kids that were younger then her for no reason. I only watched her one day and that was it. The boy stayed though.
Loveyoustinkyface 04:00 AM 02-19-2013
I'm going to be the odd ball and say "Why don't you let him play the Wii!"? If it makes your life easier, even though it is an electronic, I would do it. I know you said he ruined a remote cover and he would need some rules and guidelines.......
KDC 06:56 AM 02-19-2013
Originally Posted by Loveyoustinkyface:
I'm going to be the odd ball and say "Why don't you let him play the Wii!"? If it makes your life easier, even though it is an electronic, I would do it. I know you said he ruined a remote cover and he would need some rules and guidelines.......
Normally, we are unplugged... however, I DO let them play wii, for a certain time then I want them to move onto something else (they can play forever), because of fighting. He wasn't sharing so I let the other kids play a bit longer. Then, when I was making snack I said, where did DCB go? I thought I heard the bathroom door, but nope it was the basement door... then I heard the wii sounds -- no permission asked, just trying to be 'sneaky'. That bugged me. My own kids can't do that without permission & he's been here enough times to know my rules, just conveniently forgot them. For the record, I know he cannot play ANY electronics without permission at his house either. I felt disrespected and he knew it. After the third time of disrespect - he was on coloring/drawing lockdown. I'm surprised he didn't make a comic book of the evil daycare lady taking away his wii

They're used to an all day camp sort of thing for their days off when I don't have room, and so they're used to being entertained ALL the time. I think it's just hard for them to go from disciplined school, to entertained by camp, to my house with all the little ones and using their own imagination and doing something so 'mundane' as board games! Minecraft, subway surfer, and Mario are 'like way cooler than Monopoly'.
daycaremom76 07:10 AM 02-19-2013
OMG I HATE SA!!!!!! I have had horrible luck with SA's!!!! Now my max age is 5yrs and even they are a pain sometimes. I am down to 1 SA and he's only here M-W-F so it isn't that bad. He's here in the summer too but gets along with the little ones great! He has mild Autism so he's pretty quiet, he's been here for almost 2yrs and I don't ever recall having to correct him for anything!
Reply Up