Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Helping To Break Up Phlegm?
Lianne 04:30 AM 12-09-2013
I have a 3yr old with a typical chest cold. She stayed home Friday and is feeling fine but now her coughing is being productive and starting to break up the phlegm. She could get the whole "spit it out" thing but wouldn't manage it well and it would be a game. She'd love a special warm tea but I'm not sure what to give her in it. I have traditional orange pekoe tea bags and honey and I'm not sure what else.

Any ideas?
Unregistered 04:37 AM 12-09-2013
I always give my little one warm tea and honey in a sippy cup. A humidifier is good too. If you're wanting to avoid meds, that's about all I can think of. If you're okay with meds, mucinex is amazing, but I don't know how young you can take it.
Lianne 04:40 AM 12-09-2013
I don't mind giving meds and I have permission and am allowed to do so but I have none on hand suitable for her age. I'll ask mom to pick some up and leave it here for tomorrow though.

I'll try the tea with honey.
heyhun77 07:45 AM 12-09-2013
We have tea pretty much everyday. Usually green tea, sometimes green with mint. I had been using chai but it does have a little caffeine in it.
heyhun77 07:46 AM 12-09-2013
Oh, and I have the humidifier going with lavender rosemary eucalyptus and peppermint in it.
2 young 2 feel this old 09:32 AM 12-09-2013
I use warm lemonade for my kiddos. The citric acid breaks up the phlegm and the warm soothes sore throats.
Reply Up