Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Upgrading From 6 to 9
mindi1314 02:42 PM 03-27-2014
So I have been doing daycare for 8 years and have always kept my numbers low by having 6 kids or less in care. I have always had a part time assistant if not 2. I advertised as "small in home daycare" and really think that with the competition in my area that several families over the years have come here because we have only had 6.

Well now I am in the process of upgrading to 9. My daughter starts college next year and I simply need the extra income.

I have a huge daycare only dedicated space and have enough room for 12 square footage wise.
I have hired another assistant who will be full time and is wonderful. Bi-lingual, has a ton of experience and up until now was a preschool teacher at a very upscale school.

My question is - how do I tell the families in care now that I will be taking more kids. I know 2 families for sure will be very concerned.

We will maintain a 3/1 ratio which is what I have now and are also adding a yoga teacher once a week and my new assistant will be bringing her past preschool cirricculum to the table.

Any advice....
Imagination's Creations 04:19 PM 03-27-2014
Im also expanding. None of my parents have expressed any concerns with this. I think they're confident that I will do what ever is necessary to run a safe, smooth business. I dont really think you need to explain anything to them other than what you just said. They've already put their trust in you to care for their children. A few more children isnt going to change much considering you'll have a 3/1 ratio either way.
racemom 04:32 PM 03-27-2014
Sound positive about the change. Such as because I want to add an experience preschool teacher as my full time assistant I will also be adding 3 kids. This will give us the opportunity to do extra fun things such as yoga once a week, bilingual curriculum and other things you can think of to add. Also stress that ratio stays the same because that might be the only concern that their child receive the same attention.
Oss_cc 05:34 PM 03-27-2014
Originally Posted by racemom:
Sound positive about the change. Such as because I want to add an experience preschool teacher as my full time assistant I will also be adding 3 kids. This will give us the opportunity to do extra fun things such as yoga once a week, bilingual curriculum and other things you can think of to add. Also stress that ratio stays the same because that might be the only concern that their child receive the same attention.

Tags:ratios
Reply Up