Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Playroom questions
SquirrellyMama 07:39 AM 01-07-2015
I have two rooms that are used as playrooms. Unfortunately, they are separated by a wall. One room is probably 8ft x 12ft. The other is 11ft x 12ft. I wish there wasn't a wall. It would be an awesome space for some riding toys. We used to use my girls' room before it was their room. It is long and the kids would ride trikes and other riding toys.

Anyway, I'm trying to figure out a good arrangement. I was thinking about putting all the shelves into the smaller room as toy storage. The larger room could then be used for gross motor activities, or the kids could bring toys in from the smaller room.

Anyone have toy storage in a separate room from the playroom? The smaller room is also our spare room. It gets used mainly be my in-laws once a year, and by my dh when I'm sick.

Just trying to figure out how to have more space. We are getting rid of a lot of toys also.

Kelly
Controlled Chaos 08:02 AM 01-07-2015
I store a large amount of toys in our closet under the stairs, I then rotate the toys out weekly. Not sure if that is helpful.
permanentvacation 08:31 AM 01-07-2015
It might help us to give you ideas if we can see a picture of your rooms.

I store toys in the basement. When the kids seem to get bored with the ones I have out, I switch them and the kids get excited about the 'new' toys as if it were Christmas!

As far as ideas on what to use each room for, if you have another room (like a basement) that you can use for storage, I'd suggest that and then you can use both rooms for the kids. If you can do that, than you could go through your toys and supplies and see what you and your kids like the most. You can make one room a play room and the other an arts and crafts room. One room for kids and the other room your office/interview room. One room a typical indoor play room and the other room be a gross motor skills/more of an outdoor type play room with a slide, big playhouse, hula hoops, etc.
SquirrellyMama 10:18 AM 01-07-2015
I have a hard time getting good pics of these rooms. I'll explain better.

Both rooms are in the basement. All storage of toys to rotate is in the garage. The smaller room is our spare bedroom. It hasn't been all that useful as a playroom, but it does house our doll stuff.

What I'm planning is to remove ALL toys from the bigger room and store it all in the smaller room. It isn't storage to keep the toys away from the kids, but would be more like a toy library. The smaller room would not be a playroom at all anymore, but a place to find a toy.

They could go in there to get a toy and take it to the bigger room to play with. Without the toys we could use the bigger room for ride on toys, ball pit, pop up tents, hop balls (the balls with handles kids sit and bounce on).

Does that make more sense? Any rotation toys will be stored in the garage. All the toys in the smaller room would be available to bring to the larger room. Most of our toys are very portable.

I'm trying to find a way to give them more space so they don't want to be in my living room. I really want that cleaned up at nap time so it is clean when my dh comes home. He comes home before kids leave.

Oh, art activities are done upstairs because of table space. Art supplies are stored in the basement also. Our upstairs in 900 sq ft and is my son's room, my bedroom, kitchen, dining/LR. Not a lot of storage upstairs. The bookshelves in the living room hold our homeschooling stuff and my dh's computer stuff.

Kelly
Josiegirl 10:21 AM 01-07-2015
I would opt for storage someplace else too and rotating toys out to keep their appeal. Then I'd use one room for quiet play, puzzles, reading books, board games, etc. Sometimes even a child needs a quiet space. The other room for more dramatic play interactive type activities.
SquirrellyMama 11:14 AM 01-07-2015
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
I would opt for storage someplace else too and rotating toys out to keep their appeal. Then I'd use one room for quiet play, puzzles, reading books, board games, etc. Sometimes even a child needs a quiet space. The other room for more dramatic play interactive type activities.
I used to have a dck that would need a quiet area. That is what the smaller room has been. It does have doll stuff, but it also has the puzzles and other quiet activities. There is a futon to sit on.

The dcks I have now never slow down except to color which is done upstairs.

I need a change for a while. I really wish this were one big room. That wall takes away from my space.

It has been awhile since I've rearranged and I think I just need it to be different for a while.

I was planning on getting new toys, but now I'm not so sure. My dcks I have will be leaving for K in the fall, and I don't know who I'll have to replace them.

It is January which, along with February, are the hardest months for me being at home doing daycare and homeschooling. I finally stopped revamping our homeschooling in January/February. I have to change something.

Anyone else like that? The walls close in on me in the winter. I'm trying to convince our recreation center to start selling daycare passes. So far they refuse.

Kelly
Josiegirl 11:24 AM 01-07-2015
Have you considered taking the wall out? Or at least pricing it?

And OH YES the walls close in during the winter, it feels like suffocation. We still try to get outside but, for instance, this a.m. even my dogs were lifting their paws saying it was time to come in. We hadn't even been outside 10 minutes.

What about getting rid of more of your stuff, except for a few popular basic toys, then use more active games/toys inside? We were playing Twister Friday p.m., perfect way to end a week and the kids were having great fun. Change your way of indoor play for awhile?

This is a hard time of year for many. Not only are the dcks climbing the walls but so are the adults.
SquirrellyMama 11:53 AM 01-07-2015

And OH YES the walls close in during the winter, it feels like suffocation. We still try to get outside but, for instance, this a.m. even my dogs were lifting their paws saying it was time to come in. We hadn't even been outside 10 minutes.

What about getting rid of more of your stuff, except for a few popular basic toys, then use more active games/toys inside? We were playing Twister Friday p.m., perfect way to end a week and the kids were having great fun. Change your way of indoor play for awhile?

This is a hard time of year for many. Not only are the dcks climbing the walls but so are the adults.
We often get outside for a little while each day also. Not today with the -27 wind chill.

I am getting rid of a lot of toys. I'll rearrange a bit today, throw some toys out in the garage, and find our Twister game.

My auto correct changed Twister to Twisted. That might be a fun game

Kelly
Josiegirl 03:29 PM 01-07-2015
Haha! I think after a day of daycare, we could all use a little Twisted game.
DaveA 04:59 PM 01-07-2015
That's what I was thinking. Is it load bearing? Even if it is you could probably open up a wide (6-8 ft) opening between them fairly inexpensively, especially if you can do a good bit of the work yourself.
NeedaVaca 04:51 AM 01-08-2015
Originally Posted by DaveArmour:
That's what I was thinking. Is it load bearing? Even if it is you could probably open up a wide (6-8 ft) opening between them fairly inexpensively, especially if you can do a good bit of the work yourself.

SquirrellyMama 06:34 AM 01-08-2015
My dh is not going to let me take the wall out. I should finish rearranging today. I'll update later.

Kelly
Reply Up