Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>IL Smoke Alarm Law
DaveA 05:20 AM 10-26-2018
Saw this on the news this morning. Only a couple of stories online so far, so not much other information. Illinois is going to require by 2022 all smoke alarms must be replaced with the ones with 10 year sealed batteries. It doesn't say anything about Carbon Monoxide detectors, so I don't know if they are going to need to be changed also. I also doubt DCFS will let us wait 3 years to comply.

https://wqad.com/2018/10/23/new-illi...ector-upgrade/
coloradoprovider 05:55 AM 10-26-2018
The 10 year sealed units are inexpensive and makes the twice yearly battery replacement just one more chore we don't have to do in our already busy days. I already exclusively use the 10 year smoke alarms in my home and in my rentals.
Cat Herder 06:47 AM 10-26-2018
Mine was cheap and also has the carbon monoxide detector built in. $40. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...KIKX0DER&psc=1

Don't put it in your kitchen.
lovemykidstoo 06:49 AM 10-26-2018
I just had to replace all of my regular fire alarms with wireless interconnected ones. So if 1 goes off they all do.
Cost me $150. ugh
sahm1225 06:27 PM 10-26-2018
Thanks for the heads up. I will be on the look out for sales to replace mine.
flying_babyb 08:33 AM 10-28-2018
I see a issue! how does this work when I cook? is there a "SHUT UP IM COOKING" button? I like the batery ones where I can just pull the battery out. My place is small and the smoke detector on the opposite end of house and still goes off when I use the oven or stove (neither are dirty so its not burnt on gunk)
MyAngels 11:36 AM 10-28-2018
I've already replaced mine with the 10 year smoke/co units. Yay, I'm finally ahead of the curve
LysesKids 04:34 PM 10-29-2018
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
I just had to replace all of my regular fire alarms with wireless interconnected ones. So if 1 goes off they all do.
Cost me $150. ugh
AR required that... my home here in TN has the same; when one goes, they all go lol
lovemykidstoo 04:58 AM 10-30-2018
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
AR required that... my home here in TN has the same; when one goes, they all go lol
The thing is, we just replaced all of them in our house 3 years ago when we bought the house. Wish I would have known to save money. I'm going to donate those to the fireman that comes to do the inspection.
DaveA 03:46 AM 11-05-2018
Talked to someone from the R&R. As they understand it Carbon Monoxide detectors are not covered in this law. But there is a really good change when DCFS makes the rules up making sure we comply (probably quicker than what the law requires) it will include sealed battery CO detectors being required in the rules.
Tags:smoke alarms
Reply Up