Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Prospective parent visit during dc hours?
newtodaycare22 09:20 AM 09-21-2010
I have a parent coming at 4 to check out my place (yay!) and I'll have one kid still with me. He leaves between 4-5...I'm hoping for 4 today. haha but I want to be able to tell the lady about our place, while still making sure he gets attention. If I give him an activity like play dough or something he can do by himself, I'm afraid she'll think that I'm ignoring him. However, obviously I can't play with him and talk to her right? I think I'm overthinking this Thanks for any thoughts!
tymaboy 09:42 AM 09-21-2010
I normally do not schedule interviews during DC hours. I tell the interviewing parent that I can not talk to them & care for the kids at the same time.
newtodaycare22 09:43 AM 09-21-2010
Normally I don't either..but this lady seems like a great match for the daycare and she works 1 minute away (Gets off at 4). Otherwise, she'd drive 40 minutes from her house and I'd hate to do that to her.
legomom922 09:50 AM 09-21-2010
It can also be a great selling point to have a child there. When I did an interview before, my 2 1/2 DCG came up to me, put her arms around me and "I love you" Do you realize how much of an impact something like that makes? It shows the parents how much the kids adore you and you are not abusing them or something. It was priceless!!
momofsix 09:50 AM 09-21-2010
Originally Posted by newtodaycare22:
Normally I don't either..but this lady seems like a great match for the daycare and she works 1 minute away (Gets off at 4). Otherwise, she'd drive 40 minutes from her house and I'd hate to do that to her.
I guess it depends on how old the child is. If he is old enough to entertain himself and not get into trouble, and you were still able to keep an eye or ear out for him, for a little bit, she'd probaoly be ok with it.
I myself probably would keep him with me though. Maybe he could "help" you as you show her around?
SilverSabre25 10:03 AM 09-21-2010
I don't see a problem with setting your DCB up with some playdough or even just crayons and paper, especially if he's in the same room with you. There is nothing wrong with not interacting with children 100% of the day...they need time to relax and do their own thing sometimes. If a parent isn't okay with that then they probably aren't a good match anyway. Well, unless you do interact with the kids 100% of the time on a regular basis.

FWIW, I often have interviews during naptime or in the early evening when I still have one DCG, plus my own DD. I find it works well because the parents get to see how I interact with the kids, how I handle conflicts, etc.
WImom 10:26 AM 09-21-2010
I don't do interviews when DC kids here. It just worries me with strangers coming in my home with other peoples kids here. That's just me though.
MarinaVanessa 01:18 PM 09-21-2010
Originally Posted by WImom:
I don't do interviews when DC kids here. It just worries me with strangers coming in my home with other peoples kids here. That's just me though.
Nope, that's me too. I want to get a feel for this person before I let them through my door when I have a DC kid BUT I do see where she is coming from. If mom lives 40 mins away and works 1 minute away why would I make mom wait until last DC got picked up or drive home then drive back.
newtodaycare22 03:03 PM 09-21-2010
Dck got picked up early...so it all worked out
MarinaVanessa 03:21 PM 09-21-2010
Originally Posted by newtodaycare22:
Dck got picked up early...so it all worked out
Awsome, let us know how the interview turns out.
Reply Up