Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Teacher Kids and Summer Schedule
E Daycare 01:57 PM 06-17-2012
Those of you who have teacher kids, what is your summer schedule like? Last year I had one teacher child and just let them come whenever. This year I thought that would work but I'm finding out this isn't gonna work. I have another teacher child this year along with a sibling group that consists of a baby. So at any given time my summer weeks are jam packed.

Last summer I had kids maybe 3 days a week and one or two kids on that day. Now I have 6 kids 3-4 times a week and telling parents when their kid can come is causing them to be all butt hurt. I have a dentist appt for myself I've had to change 3 times to accommodate these people and telling them one day this week isn't gonna work gives me snarky attitude.

I understand it's their vacation too but I'm being used as some PRN sitter now and they are adding their other kids whom aren't under contract. It's starting to get out of hand and it's the 3rd week of vacation for us.

I'd like some "summer" vacation days myself and from parents who cry to me all year about having to leave their "sweet lovey child" I'd expect some more time with their own kids.

Ive learned from this summer to implement a summer schedule next year, what are your summer schedules for your teacher kids?
cheerfuldom 02:08 PM 06-17-2012
Originally Posted by E Daycare:
Those of you who have teacher kids, what is your summer schedule like? Last year I had one teacher child and just let them come whenever. This year I thought that would work but I'm finding out this isn't gonna work. I have another teacher child this year along with a sibling group that consists of a baby. So at any given time my summer weeks are jam packed.

Last summer I had kids maybe 3 days a week and one or two kids on that day. Now I have 6 kids 3-4 times a week and telling parents when their kid can come is causing them to be all butt hurt. I have a dentist appt for myself I've had to change 3 times to accommodate these people and telling them one day this week isn't gonna work gives me snarky attitude.

I understand it's their vacation too but I'm being used as some PRN sitter now and they are adding their other kids whom aren't under contract. It's starting to get out of hand and it's the 3rd week of vacation for us.

I'd like some "summer" vacation days myself and from parents who cry to me all year about having to leave their "sweet lovey child" I'd expect some more time with their own kids.

Ive learned from this summer to implement a summer schedule next year, what are your summer schedules for your teacher kids?
Its not too late to change things now. Requiring schedules in advance would be a good start. I do one month in advance but even one week would be better than nothing at all. I think having no real policy on all this is what is really killing you here. You leave yourself wide open to whatever the parents want to do and of course, they are going to be upset when expectations are not met.

Sounds like a good time to change your policy effective immediately. Write a letter home outlining your policy for days during the summer as well as school agers that are not on the regular, yearly contract. Perhaps allowing for a max number of kids on a first scheduled, first served basis would be something to consider, if you dont want to take all these kids all the time.
snbauser 06:38 PM 06-17-2012
I have several teachers kids and would never allow them to be "drop ins" over the summer. They are still under a contract although I allow them to change to a "summer contract". The summer contract has a start and end date along with what days and hours they want care for the summer and what their rate is going to be. If I were you I would figure out what it is you want - ie advance schedule, set schedule, maximum number of kids per day, etc - and send home a note implementing the changes immediately.
Country Kids 10:05 PM 06-17-2012
Originally Posted by snbauser:
I have several teachers kids and would never allow them to be "drop ins" over the summer. They are still under a contract although I allow them to change to a "summer contract". The summer contract has a start and end date along with what days and hours they want care for the summer and what their rate is going to be. If I were you I would figure out what it is you want - ie advance schedule, set schedule, maximum number of kids per day, etc - and send home a note implementing the changes immediately.

This is what I do also. Also, is there a way you could just totally close one day a week for your appts. Like just tell everyone that on Fridays you will be closed so they will have four other days to pick from and its has to be a consistent schedule?
momofboys 05:34 AM 06-18-2012
I wouldn't allow them to pick the days - I would let them know in advance when I was available. Not sure how many other kids you have in care so I am sure that plays into it also. I would simply let them know they can come MTW but not on Th or Fri (or whatever you wish to do) & then stick with it for the entire summer. That way you know what days you can make your own appts on. I know this may not work for everyone but sorry I am not having Sally call me on Wed asking about care on Thursday. Not gonna happen!
Blackcat31 06:50 AM 06-18-2012
Originally Posted by momofboys:
I wouldn't allow them to pick the days - I would let them know in advance when I was available. Not sure how many other kids you have in care so I am sure that plays into it also. I would simply let them know they can come MTW but not on Th or Fri (or whatever you wish to do) & then stick with it for the entire summer. That way you know what days you can make your own appts on. I know this may not work for everyone but sorry I am not having Sally call me on Wed asking about care on Thursday. Not gonna happen!

I agree. The teacher kids I have that only come on a limited schedule in the summer have only a M,W,F or T, Th option. They do NOT get to pick and choose which days they come.

Giving them options for 2 or 3 day attendance keeps YOU in control and stops the issues you are having.
Reply Up