Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Texas Registration and Licensing Rules..
shelby 08:35 AM 07-13-2013
I am considering becoming a registered home provider. Can someone help me understand the standard differences between the two? I was running a legal unregistered service in Ar. before we moved.. but I want to expand here in Tx where we are living now, but need some help with the regulations.. (reading the huge file on line is confusing) My husband wants us to consider opening a daycare center in a building in town.. but I think we need start small then work up.
Starburst 09:09 AM 07-13-2013
Here is a link I found that explains different type of child care statuses:

http://www.dfps.state.tx.us/Child_Ca...care_types.asp

How I read it, it seems that a Licensed FCC can watch more kids with less age restriction than a registered FCC (can only watch up to 12 kids if at least 6 of them are school aged but have a max of 6 kids non school-age, including your own). It kinda looks like a 'registered' status in Texas is what my state would considered a 'small family child care license'; minus the plus 6 school age kids, we can only have 6+ 2 SAC. And a 'licensed' is what my state would consider 'large family child care'. It also seems that licensed child care homes are also inspected more often (once every 12 months), while registered homes are regularly inspected every 1-2 years.

For more information on Texas regulations:
www.daycare.com/texas
shelby 07:47 PM 07-13-2013
thanks, that is kinda of what I was thinking but wanted to double check.
Blackcat31 07:36 AM 07-14-2013
Originally Posted by shelby:
I am considering becoming a registered home provider. Can someone help me understand the standard differences between the two? I was running a legal unregistered service in Ar. before we moved.. but I want to expand here in Tx where we are living now, but need some help with the regulations.. (reading the huge file on line is confusing) My husband wants us to consider opening a daycare center in a building in town.. but I think we need start small then work up.
There are several providers on the board that live in Texas that I am sure will be happy to help you interpret the rules and regulations correctly.

The forum is a little slower on the weekends so be patient ....
Starburst 10:11 AM 07-14-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
There are several providers on the board that live in Texas that I am sure will be happy to help you interpret the rules and regulations correctly.
The forum is a little slower on the weekends so be patient ....
Remember I said "how I read it" so I am not sure if that is 100% correct and I am not trying to pass it off as something I know as a solid fact.
CedarCreek 06:21 AM 07-15-2013
Texas here

The regs are basically the same. I believe when you are licensed, your outside play area regs are stricter but don't quote me on that..

I am registered and have 5 under 5 right now with an open spot. Your own children count. I am allowed 6 additional sa but I do not want them

Texas also requires many more CE hours then any other state i've seen. They require 30 hours a year,CPR/first aid courses don't count.

To become licensed, you have to have either a degree or cda+ business management classes and at least a year of experience. On the dfps website, you can see the different combinations of education and experience that they will accept.

In my registered experience,I am inspected once a year. I'll bet its more frequent if you're licensed. If you use the food program, they pop in about once every 6 months.

Hope some of that helped.
shelby 12:16 PM 07-20-2013
Originally Posted by CedarCreek:
Texas here

The regs are basically the same. I believe when you are licensed, your outside play area regs are stricter but don't quote me on that..

I am registered and have 5 under 5 right now with an open spot. Your own children count. I am allowed 6 additional sa but I do not want them

Texas also requires many more CE hours then any other state i've seen. They require 30 hours a year,CPR/first aid courses don't count.

To become licensed, you have to have either a degree or cda+ business management classes and at least a year of experience. On the dfps website, you can see the different combinations of education and experience that they will accept.

In my registered experience,I am inspected once a year. I'll bet its more frequent if you're licensed. If you use the food program, they pop in about once every 6 months.

Hope some of that helped.
Thanks! I have been reading the "manuel" and it seems like the rules are mostly the same but a few more required for licensed... I think I might call and get some clarification on some of what I am reading..
Tags:texas - regulations
Reply Up