Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Do You Handle the Disappointments?
Unregistered 02:11 PM 05-31-2016
Hi everyone!

I am learning so much about people since having a daycare, just this week again two families (that I had for over 2 years) disappointed me terribly after both being tricky to get their ways.

How do you handle it? The disappointments is making me less and less social, and I end up staying home most of the time.

I understand that people act differently when it comes to their children and MONEY but seeing the "bad" side of people (and they seems so nice at first) is just making it hard to stay social.
Cat Herder 02:14 PM 05-31-2016
I don't make exceptions.

I enforce my policies.

I don't make policies I won't enforce.

I don't feel guilty for saying no.

That's how I handle it.

Once you get there, it becomes so much better. Promise.
grandmom 02:51 PM 05-31-2016
Exactly what Cat Herder said. This is a business. Operate it like a business.

"Mom, I've been thinking about what happened the other day. I've even talked with some other providers. I'm not comfortable with..... and so this is what I need done."

Good luck.
Snowmom 03:22 PM 05-31-2016
The easiest answer to that would be: "the parents do what's best for their families, and you need to do what's best for yours".

It is sometimes so hard to take the emotions out of this job. But, most of the time, that's exactly what's needed.
Snowmom 03:24 PM 05-31-2016
Oh... and venting.
Venting a lot.
Daily.
That always helps!
Ariana 04:35 PM 05-31-2016
Venting for sure helps

You learn from your mistakes and eventually you stop expecting certain behaviors. Not too much surprises me about parents these days! They are not your friends they are people that give you money for a service, that is all!

thrivingchildcarecom 04:58 PM 05-31-2016
I wish I could tell you that those types of things happen rarely, but the truth is they happen quite often. I would say the key is to understand that even though as providers it is our business to care for others, it is a business. As much as we would like to believe that our daycare families are an extension of our own, they are not. Learning to separate my feelings from my profession has be a long journey, but it was a necessary one. Now I am a "water off a duck's back" kinda girl. I know that might sound bad, but it is a self-protection mechanism really. Its important for us not to take things personally. I hope that helps!
Blackcat31 06:45 PM 05-31-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Hi everyone!

I am learning so much about people since having a daycare, just this week again two families (that I had for over 2 years) disappointed me terribly after both being tricky to get their ways.

How do you handle it? The disappointments is making me less and less social, and I end up staying home most of the time.

I understand that people act differently when it comes to their children and MONEY but seeing the "bad" side of people (and they seems so nice at first) is just making it hard to stay social.
You can't change other people or their behavior so instead change those things you CAN; your expectations and your perception.

Thriftylady 08:01 AM 06-01-2016
I have learned to control it by learning to control who I will work with. Back in the days when I first started daycare, I thought I had to provide care for any family that wanted to pay me. Huge mistake! I am very picky now about who I offer spots to, and and I am no longer afraid to term someone who isn't working out for me. I don't take it lightly to term, it is my income. But I won't allow others to make me miserable either.
Tags:enforcing policies - consistency
Reply Up