Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
New Members - Welcome to the Daycare.com Forum!>Daycare Question
VAmomof4 09:13 AM 04-20-2018
I have a parent that is a neighbor. I don't normally take neighbors as clients but they moved in after their child was already established. I see them when they arrive home but they don't pick up until 5 minutes before their pick up time. It's frustrating! This is why I don't take neighbors as clients.
How would you handle this situation?
Rockgirl 09:28 AM 04-20-2018
Personally, if they’re picking up within their contracted time, I wouldn’t do anything. Frustrating for sure, though!
Josiegirl 10:08 AM 04-20-2018
Welcome!
I agree with Rockgirl. I wouldn't do anything either, unless you have it in your policies that you only take children whose parents are at work.
amberrose3dg 10:24 AM 04-20-2018
Originally Posted by VAmomof4:
I have a parent that is a neighbor. I don't normally take neighbors as clients but they moved in after their child was already established. I see them when they arrive home but they don't pick up until 5 minutes before their pick up time. It's frustrating! This is why I don't take neighbors as clients.
How would you handle this situation?
It is frustrating but i don't think there is much you can do about it.How much time are they leaving the child there?
I had a daycare parent who lived around the corner. She was pretty much off on Fridays but would drop off at 630 in the morning and leave her child here until close at 5. He would be the last kid here. He would even see her car and ask why she wasn't coming to get him. This was over a year and she only picked him up early once. I never said anything, I just felt bad for the boy.
VAmomof4 04:29 PM 04-21-2018
The parents have left him any where between 1 hour up to 5 hours even though they’re home. A lot of times it happens on Fridays and I’ve asked if they get off early to please pick up because he’s the only one here from 3:30-5...but they don’t. It’s just frustrating 😬.
Josiegirl 03:07 AM 04-22-2018
Originally Posted by VAmomof4:
The parents have left him any where between 1 hour up to 5 hours even though they’re home. A lot of times it happens on Fridays and I’ve asked if they get off early to please pick up because he’s the only one here from 3:30-5...but they don’t. It’s just frustrating 😬.
If he's the only one you have from 3:30-5 on a Friday then simply tell them you're now closing early on Fridays, at 3:30. It's entirely your option!! I'd do that in a heartbeat, especially on a Friday.
alyssahenderson 08:13 PM 04-22-2018
I agree! It's really frustrating. Try talking to them and discuss about the issue so they can understand your part and their part as well.
amberrose3dg 04:02 AM 04-23-2018
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
If he's the only one you have from 3:30-5 on a Friday then simply tell them you're now closing early on Fridays, at 3:30. It's entirely your option!! I'd do that in a heartbeat, especially on a Friday.
I second this! If he is your only kid on Friday make them pick up early. I get annoyed when parents are off and leave their kids here until 5pm when I close. Most of the time I can be off around 430. I always have that one parent that takes their time getting here.
lovemykidstoo 06:48 AM 04-23-2018
Originally Posted by amberrose3dg:
I second this! If he is your only kid on Friday make them pick up early. I get annoyed when parents are off and leave their kids here until 5pm when I close. Most of the time I can be off around 430. I always have that one parent that takes their time getting here.
Oh my gosh me too! Never fails! Always the ones that have the day off that are here the longest. Gotta get their money worth ugh!

I had a dcb that was with me on Fridays. I had him and another dcg, but she only was with me until 11 on Fridays. So mom was so excited when she told me that she was getting out at 11 on Fridays! I was like woohoo I"m gonna be done at 11 on Fridays. So I said that to dcb and she had a look of horror on her face. She said oh I planned on picking him up at regular time 515. I said oh no. I am not going to work all afternoon on friday when he's my only child and you are off. So I did a little nice thing and kept him until 12:30. That gave her an hour and a half of her time and I still had most of the day off. Worked beautifully! I say change your hours on friday.
Tags:neighbors as clients
Reply Up