Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Nervous Momma And New Toddler..Tips Please!!
Jack Sprat 11:23 AM 09-05-2013
On Monday an 18 month old boy will be starting. This will be his first time at daycare. His only provider has been his grandmother. He isn't very verbal (yet) and is very shy. His mom is very nervous about how he will do. He has came to visit twice with mom and I have noticed him emerging from his shell on these visits. Today we went for a walk and he had no interest in sitting in the stroller with other DCB. Mom carried him for our walk. She was good about having him try to sit. But, frankly it broke my heart to hear him cry. He did allow me to hold him for a bit. No tears, and I was able to distract him when I talked about the things we saw. But, he did fuss/whine. Dad will be dropping him off which I think will help a lot.

Any tips for making the transition easier for him and all of us? He is bringing his binkie and a tractor movie that she said helps calm him down..not thrilled about the movie but, I don't want this poor guy to be miserable.

Any tips would be great. All of my other kiddos have done really well with coming. But, all of them have been in daycare or have had lots of social interaction with other people.
preschoolteacher 11:34 AM 09-05-2013
We should talk! I'm going to PM you.
preschoolteacher 11:48 AM 09-05-2013
I don't have a ton of advice since we are in the same boat, but I wouldn't have DCB watch the video to calm down. I just wouldn't want to start a trend of having to play the tractor video every time he was worked up. He will definitely start to expect it!

Can Mom send a photograph of their family instead? You could laminate it and he can look at that to calm himself down.
Jack Sprat 11:54 AM 09-05-2013
Too funny!! I was just thinking the same thing! Yes, the video I could see quickly becoming a crutch of sorts!

My other concern is we are very active and somewhat loud. He wasn't thrilled with the loudness and hid behind his mom. The other dcks are working on saving our howling like dogs etc for outdoors until our new friend is more comfortable around us.
MsLaura529 11:54 AM 09-05-2013
Originally Posted by preschoolteacher:
I don't have a ton of advice since we are in the same boat, but I wouldn't have DCB watch the video to calm down. I just wouldn't want to start a trend of having to play the tractor video every time he was worked up. He will definitely start to expect it!

Can Mom send a photograph of their family instead? You could laminate it and he can look at that to calm himself down.
This is a great idea.

Another suggestion would be to try to make drop-offs as quick and simple as you can.

Since he likes tractors, maybe having a special tractor book ready for him to look at when he comes in? Or a tractor toy he can go to play with right away?
Jack Sprat 12:01 PM 09-05-2013
We have tons of John Deere tractors so yes great idea I will have one ready for him. I have visions of this little guy being attached to my hip all day lol! I'm all for attachment parenting but, not so much attachment daycare provider lol!
spinnymarie 12:33 PM 09-05-2013
My niece is like this - same age, no other socialization, spends all day everyday with her mom and practically no one else. She only comes for a few hours once a week!
Anyway she used to scream all day... until SIL brought her blankie Now as long as she has a chance to sit for a little while and watch with her blankie when she first gets here, she is fine!
Unregistered 08:44 PM 09-05-2013
Take them outside the first few days and blow bubbles. The kids love it and even newer kids get into it. Also, do you have a greeting song, circle time type activity ? It helps when the morning routine is the same every single day. It is tough sometimes, but try for a few weeks if you are not already doing it.something like " Joshua is in the class, Joshua is in the class, high ho the dairy-o " etc , and use each childs name. It might help the new boy relax.
Jack Sprat 12:00 PM 09-06-2013
Yes, we are very routine...Bubbles is a great idea! I will make a batch this weekend.
Tags:separation anxiety, transitioning
Reply Up