Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Organizing Lesson Plans
Thriftylady 09:15 AM 05-06-2016
So I make up most of my own lesson plans. For instance this month they are out of school every Friday. We are already working on our garden, watching seeds in vials and doing a growth chart, doing a weather chart. Today I stole someones idea here and let them look at seeds with magnifying glass and draw the seeds in their journal and labeling with the names of the seeds. They also did a writing prompt in their journal (or drew picture if they can't really write yet).

So I work hard on putting this stuff together, but I am not sure how to organize the stuff so I can use it next year. Any advice from the pros?
Annalee 09:42 AM 05-06-2016
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
So I make up most of my own lesson plans. For instance this month they are out of school every Friday. We are already working on our garden, watching seeds in vials and doing a growth chart, doing a weather chart. Today I stole someones idea here and let them look at seeds with magnifying glass and draw the seeds in their journal and labeling with the names of the seeds. They also did a writing prompt in their journal (or drew picture if they can't really write yet).

So I work hard on putting this stuff together, but I am not sure how to organize the stuff so I can use it next year. Any advice from the pros?
I take ice bins and separate my books by theme and use totes for my large materials for theme play centers....Each month I just get out what I want for the month and set up around my room. I have a large bag which keeps my bulletin board displays that are separated by month as well. I use the mailbox magazine, pinterest, several daycare websites, etc. to develop my yearly curriculum. That way I can interchange as I want to!
Blackcat31 09:53 AM 05-06-2016
I keep everything in 3 ring binders.
Each month has its own binder.

I keep all patterns and templates in a separate binder.

Supplies that can't be kept in a 3 ring binder are kept in clear shoe box size totes (one for each month).

Easy to access anything I need whenever I need to.
kendallina 10:22 AM 05-06-2016
I use one drawer in my file cabinet to organize ideas by theme. Each day I write the 2-4 things we're doing that day for the parents and post it above the cubbies. These sheets go in the corresponding file. I also print things from pinterest, etc by theme and these ideas go in the file.
Unregistered 11:50 AM 05-06-2016
Much of mine is on my computer now. I may sell cds after after doing more organizing, as a post-retirement gig. Either that or organize personalized curriculum for other providers. Maybe both.
Mike 05:40 PM 05-06-2016
Computer, filing cabinets, binders, and boxes is how I always organize.
AmyKidsCo 06:18 PM 05-09-2016
I keep all my plans and resources on my computer, divided by theme.

File folder games and other "flat" table activities are in a file box, separated by season.

Games that aren't flat are on my dryer, waiting for me to get a big box for them. When I do I'll separate them by season also.
childcaremom 05:03 AM 05-10-2016
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
I keep all my plans and resources on my computer, divided by theme.

File folder games and other "flat" table activities are in a file box, separated by season.

Games that aren't flat are on my dryer, waiting for me to get a big box for them. When I do I'll separate them by season also.
This sounds like my organization method.
Cat Herder 08:49 AM 05-10-2016
Mine are on a standard form and have to be filled out weekly with updates, assessments and "proof". I have to keep them for inspection. I hate it. We used to have a lot more fun.

My hope is that once I get "good" with this new way of being I can get back some of my creativity. Sort of bummed about it right now.

Plus, the forms are HUGE. I don't know how to store them that does not make me feel cluttered. I hate paper, I want it digital again, but it is not allowed as "proof". To people who I don't work for and who don't pay me. I am .... just...

Ok, sorry; Evidence based curriculum, not "proof".
Thriftylady 09:09 AM 05-10-2016
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Mine are on a standard form and have to be filled out weekly with updates, assessments and "proof". I have to keep them for inspection. I hate it. We used to have a lot more fun.

My hope is that once I get "good" with this new way of being I can get back some of my creativity. Sort of bummed about it right now.

Plus, the forms are HUGE. I don't know how to store them that does not make me feel cluttered. I hate paper, I want it digital again, but it is not allowed as "proof". To people who I don't work for and who don't pay me. I am .... just...

Ok, sorry; Evidence based curriculum, not "proof".
This is one of the reasons I am legally unlicensed.
Cat Herder 09:13 AM 05-10-2016
This is one of the reasons I am legally unlicensed.
There is no such thing here unless you can can afford to only keep 2 kids. Including your own under 13.

Also, I have to be licensed/regulated to keep my homeowners insurance.

I am boxed in pretty tight.
Thriftylady 09:35 AM 05-10-2016
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
There is no such thing here unless you can can afford to only keep 2 kids. Including your own under 13.

Also, I have to be licensed/regulated to keep my homeowners insurance.

I am boxed in pretty tight.
Yes, every state is different for sure. Here to get licensed, would be a nightmare. Including having to have a sub on staff at all times. And four inspections per year from just licensing. They think we are made of time or something. And from what they told me not a quick paperwork and such check either, they actually sit around for a couple of hours each time and "evaluate" you.
Josiegirl 11:06 AM 05-10-2016
Yes, every state is different for sure. Here to get licensed, would be a nightmare. Including having to have a sub on staff at all times. And four inspections per year from just licensing. They think we are made of time or something. And from what they told me not a quick paperwork and such check either, they actually sit around for a couple of hours each time and "evaluate" you.
Oh wow remind me to never move to Ohio and open a licensed home dc.
Thriftylady 02:37 PM 05-10-2016
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Oh wow remind me to never move to Ohio and open a licensed home dc.
It is done by county here so each county may be a bit different. But in my county, licensing is run by the subsidy people. I called last week to find out again about licensing. They told me I have to provide a sub, I can never take a day off and not have a sub. I asked about what if I wanted a two week stay at home vacation without kids. They said "well as long as your sub is in your home providing child care". Um no thanks. I wonder if she takes her job on her vacation?
Tags:organizing, organizing lesson plans
Reply Up