Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Late Pick-Up
CountryRoads 02:20 PM 09-14-2020
I've got a dcm that is pushing pick-up. I close at 5:30 and 2 times this past week she's picked up at like 5:35.

How do you handle this? I made the mistake of saying, "Oh, it's fine" when she apologizes. But it is definitely NOT fine. I have a policy in my handbook that pick-ups must be done PRIOR to closing time and that repeated late pick-ups are grounds for termination.

I will not allow it again. Do you send a text when it's getting close to closing time? I'm really bad at face to face confrontation, so I prefer messages of some sort.
MomBoss 02:26 PM 09-14-2020
Originally Posted by CountryRoads:
I've got a dcm that is pushing pick-up. I close at 5:30 and 2 times this past week she's picked up at like 5:35.

How do you handle this? I made the mistake of saying, "Oh, it's fine" when she apologizes. But it is definitely NOT fine. I have a policy in my handbook that pick-ups must be done PRIOR to closing time and that repeated late pick-ups are grounds for termination.

I will not allow it again. Do you send a text when it's getting close to closing time? I'm really bad at face to face confrontation, so I prefer messages of some sort.
I found it easier to text to avoid confrontation lol. At 5:28...
“hi! Just wondering if you will be picking up johnny soon? Just wanted to remind you that After 5:30 there is a late fee of ****. Thanks!”
Blackcat31 02:26 PM 09-14-2020

Send her a text stating she owes $X amount for late pick ups on such and such dates.

Let her know that late pick ups are not acceptable and additional late pick ups may result in loss of services.

Maybe text something like:

"Hi Joann, I just wanted to remind you to add $X for late pick up fees to your next daycare payment. I also wanted to check in and make sure my closing time of 5:30 still works for you as Janie has been picked up late a couple times recently and I am unable to accommodate pick ups after 5:30 so any additional late pickups could result in loss of services. If you have any questions please let me know!
Thank you!"

Cat Herder 02:26 PM 09-14-2020
I charge $1 per minute on their invoice. I also highlight it on the sign-in sheet.
CountryRoads 02:37 PM 09-14-2020
Thank you all so much! I will be using a little bit of all the responses in a message!

I don't have a late pick-up fee because I didn't want anyone to think that it was an option to be late.

Late pick-ups are such a pet peeve of mine. Like they think I don't have anything better to do then wait for them. My day isn't over when the last kid goes home
Rockgirl 02:39 PM 09-14-2020
Thank you all so much! I will be using a little bit of all the responses in a message!

I don't have a late pick-up fee because I didn't want anyone to think that it was an option to be late.

Late pick-ups are such a pet peeve of mine. Like they think I don't have anything better to do then wait for them. My day isn't over when the last kid goes home
My fee is hefty...$2/minute. I don’t want the extra money....I want them to pick up on time. The fee is definitely a deterrent!
Blackcat31 03:06 PM 09-14-2020
Originally Posted by Rockgirl:
My fee is hefty...$2/minute. I don’t want the extra money....I want them to pick up on time. The fee is definitely a deterrent!

I charge $1 per minute per child the FIRST time
$2 per minute per kid the SECOND time
Termination (immediate) the 3rd time.

I don't work well with people that don't respect my time as valuable.
Checkinkids.com 05:12 PM 09-14-2020
When I ran a daycare, we had this problem all the time. That's what led me to build the free service: virtuclock.com that gives them a late fee message if they are late at pickup automatically.
284878 05:44 AM 09-15-2020
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I charge $1 per minute on their invoice. I also highlight it on the sign-in sheet.
Yes highlight the sign-in sheet.
284878 05:49 AM 09-15-2020
Originally Posted by Checkinkids.com:
When I ran a daycare, we had this problem all the time. That's what led me to build the free service: virtuclock.com that gives them a late fee message if they are late at pickup automatically.

I'm a little confused how does a virtual lock stop human behavior?
284878 06:05 AM 09-15-2020
Originally Posted by MomBoss:
I found it easier to text to avoid confrontation lol. At 5:28...
“hi! Just wondering if you will be picking up johnny soon? Just wanted to remind you that After 5:30 there is a late fee of ****. Thanks!”
I like this, I have had two different families be late this month. I always waive the first time but let them know how much it was. The other family has done this repeatedly for over a year. Dcd acts as if it is nothing that he just threw off my schedule and my kids are getting cranky. He so annoys me.

Op if you do not want to charge a late fee, you could use the three strike rule. You can text like momboss suggested but put in "any pick up after xxx will be a strike, three strikes and you will be out, currently you have x strikes"
Ariana 06:52 AM 09-15-2020
I typically send a reminder on paydays with the new total amount owed due to late fees. “Hi DCM just a reminder that payment this week is $X to include late fees from X date, thanks”
CountryRoads 06:56 AM 09-15-2020
Thanks everyone!

She ended up being late again last night.

I texted her at 5:28 and asked if she was coming soon and reminded her that pick-up needs to be done prior to closing.

Just a side note - I would think she would feel so uncomfortable when she shows up to pick up her child, and I'm sitting outside, toys are put away, lights are off, and dck is the only one here. Right?? I know I would feel awkward enough that I wouldn't do it again
Snowmom 07:03 AM 09-15-2020
Thanks everyone!

I texted her at 5:28 and asked if she was coming soon and reminded her that pick-up needs to be done prior to closing.

Just a side note - I would think she would feel so uncomfortable when she shows up to pick up her child, and I'm sitting outside, toys are put away, lights are off, and dck is the only one here. Right?? I know I would feel awkward enough that I wouldn't do it again
Respectful people would feel bad, yes.
To her, she got your permission to be late when she did it the first time and got away with it without consequence.
Unfortunately, with these types of people, you need to be harsh or expect to be walked all over.

If it were me, I'd take back control by addressing all of it:
"Mary, I need to touch base with you about pick up time. I need all my clients to understand that at 5:30, my doors are closed and I am no longer available. I expect all families to arrive with plenty of time to gather their child, any belongings and be off the property before the clock hits 5:30. The last few weeks, you've picked up after 5:30 X amount of times. Because I need to be confident that I can trust my clients to arrive on time, if a late pick up happens again, I will need to terminate our contract. Thank you for your understanding."
CountryRoads 07:17 AM 09-15-2020
Originally Posted by Snowmom:
Respectful people would feel bad, yes.
To her, she got your permission to be late when she did it the first time and got away with it without consequence.
Unfortunately, with these types of people, you need to be harsh or expect to be walked all over.

If it were me, I'd take back control by addressing all of it:
"Mary, I need to touch base with you about pick up time. I need all my clients to understand that at 5:30, my doors are closed and I am no longer available. I expect all families to arrive with plenty of time to gather their child, any belongings and be off the property before the clock hits 5:30. The last few weeks, you've picked up after 5:30 X amount of times. Because I need to be confident that I can trust my clients to arrive on time, if a late pick up happens again, I will need to terminate our contract. Thank you for your understanding."
I like your response!

She dropped off this morning and was apologetic. I made sure not to say "it's fine." I explained to her that I'm very strict on that policy because my family is typically waiting for me upstairs (my daycare is on a separate floor) and that my day isn't over when the last kid goes home. She asked if I had any other problems that were bothering me. It was a very awkward conversation.
Blackcat31 07:23 AM 09-15-2020
Originally Posted by 284878:
I'm a little confused how does a virtual lock stop human behavior?
I think poster was just saying that how they tell the parent there is a late fee as so many have said they don't like confrontation.

I like this, I have had two different families be late this month. I always waive the first time but let them know how much it was. The other family has done this repeatedly for over a year. Dcd acts as if it is nothing that he just threw off my schedule and my kids are getting cranky. He so annoys me.

I just wanted to comment on the bolded part above

I used to think like that too but I went to a class one time about something similar and the first thing they asked us was would we be more apt to borrow a complete stranger $50 or a family member/friend? Almost everyone said never a stranger...only someone they know/trust.

Then they asked, then why waive the late fee for a "new" family when they have yet to build trust with you?
They should "earn" that ability to have a fee waived before you ever consider doing so.

If you approach things from that perspective (borrowing money or time to a stranger) you will set a precedent as to how you run your business and new clients will know you mean business because you are a business.
Save the "get out of jail free" cards for families who have built a trusting relationship with you.

I've never looked at my business policies the same way since...
Blackcat31 07:31 AM 09-15-2020
Thanks everyone!

Has she said WHY she's late? Is something new going on in her life or is she just bad at time management?

She isn't going to feel embarrassed because you are accepting her being late. Lights off and toys put away just says it's the end of the day. It doesn't say "you are late and that is unacceptable." She just sees she's the last pick up of the day.
Cat Herder 08:10 AM 09-15-2020
She asked if I had any other problems that were bothering me. It was a very awkward conversation.
That would have me right off. What a condescending ____. Flipping it so that you are the problem. You must be upset about something else other than her selfish ____. I would have made her cry and sent her packing.

Did you tell her one more time and she is out?
CountryRoads 08:36 AM 09-15-2020
That would have me right off. What a condescending ____. Flipping it so that you are the problem. You must be upset about something else other than her selfish ____. I would have made her cry and sent her packing.

I think she meant if anything else was bothering me as far as daycare goes. Like if they were doing anything else that was annoying me.

I hate when I have to confront a parent on a policy, and it turns into a bigger deal than it needs to be. Just follow the policy I asked you to follow and move one
Annalee 09:33 AM 09-15-2020

^^^^^^

I had a clients once that was late a few times times and I told her that I had charged her twice before but the next time she would be terminated....to which she replied while leaving and walking away "well, you ought to expect people to be late sometimes; everyone can't always be on time...da da da da" all the way across the porch
284878 10:01 AM 09-15-2020
Originally Posted by Annalee:
^^^^^^

I had a clients once that was late a few times times and I told her that I had charged her twice before but the next time she would be terminated....to which she replied while leaving and walking away "well, you ought to expect people to be late sometimes; everyone can't always be on time...da da da da" all the way across the porch
I finally got the guts up to charge DCM for being late, she had been a couple minutes here and there before but this time it was 10 or 12. I told her that they check was short the late fee. She argued with me a bit, I explained that I let several go during the summer but she owed me for this one. Her response was "alright, I will bring it at pick up, BUT this can not happen again" very sternly

It didn't because about a month later I got the guts up to do my first term. Of course she then said "I am disappointed in you"
Meeko 11:32 AM 09-15-2020
I finally got the guts up to charge DCM for being late, she had been a couple minutes here and there before but this time it was 10 or 12. I told her that they check was short the late fee. She argued with me a bit, I explained that I let several go during the summer but she owed me for this one. Her response was "alright, I will bring it at pick up, BUT this can not happen again" very sternly

It didn't because about a month later I got the guts up to do my first term. Of course she then said "I am disappointed in you"
Wow! It was YOUR fault she was late and got a late fee?!!!
Meeko 11:34 AM 09-15-2020
^^^^^^

I would of told her I don't take sassy backtalk from the kids OR their parents....and terminated on the spot.
Pandaluver21 12:45 PM 09-15-2020

I had a parent that was with us for about 3 years before being late. She was late about 2 minutes and I stated that she owed me $2. She said "Really Irene?" Very condescendingly. She paid it, but wasn't happy with me. A few days later she was running late again. I went into the house and my assistant stayed in the building (same property, separate building) Parent ended up being TWENTY minutes late! She walked in and took out her check book and wrote a $20 check no problem..

I like your response!

She dropped off this morning and was apologetic. I made sure not to say "it's fine." I explained to her that I'm very strict on that policy because my family is typically waiting for me upstairs (my daycare is on a separate floor) and that my day isn't over when the last kid goes home. She asked if I had any other problems that were bothering me. It was a very awkward conversation.
It's funny, we teach the kids that when someone says they are sorry, their response should be "thank you" and NEVER "it's ok". Occasionally they will still say "its ok" and I ask them "is it ok? can they do it again?" They look at me shocked and say of course it's not ok! Well then why did you say it was :P
Cat Herder 01:24 PM 09-15-2020
One thing is if they call and are in an emergency situation, I get them help. I have kept kids overnight and for entire weekend's in such situations for free.

If they call and they have a valid reason, in advance, I help them. I have taken kids home when their vehicle broke down on the highway. I even fed them dinner and gave them a bath, first. Free.

I am not an ogre. If you are going to be late, call. If you are late because of poor planning, pay. If you keep showing up late due to poor planning, get out. It should not be so complicated. It is about respect.

The biggest thing is it hurts the kids feelings. They won't remember what all you did for them, they will remember how you made them feel.
Littlepeopleprovider 01:58 PM 09-15-2020
Originally Posted by Meeko:
I would of told her I don't take sassy backtalk from the kids OR their parents....and terminated on the spot.
HA HA HA! That's the BEST comment I've read today!! I would terminate on the spot for that too!
284878 02:54 PM 09-15-2020
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I think poster was just saying that how they tell the parent there is a late fee as so many have said they don't like confrontation.

If you reread her post you she's actually advertising an app she made. And her siggy says something like stop late pickups.

I just wanted to comment on the bolded part above

I used to think like that too but I went to a class one time about something similar and the first thing they asked us was would we be more apt to borrow a complete stranger $50 or a family member/friend? Almost everyone said never a stranger...only someone they know/trust.

Then they asked, then why waive the late fee for a "new" family when they have yet to build trust with you?
They should "earn" that ability to have a fee waived before you ever consider doing so.

If you approach things from that perspective (borrowing money or time to a stranger) you will set a precedent as to how you run your business and new clients will know you mean business because you are a business.
Save the "get out of jail free" cards for families who have built a trusting relationship with you.

I've never looked at my business policies the same way since...
Good perspective. I will keep that in mind, if ever happens again.

Originally Posted by Meeko:
Wow! It was YOUR fault she was late and got a late fee?!!!

At the time when she said it, I think she meant it as a threat that I was not allowed to charge her a late fee again or I was going to regret it.
Mariposa 12:21 AM 09-16-2020
^^^^^^

Please tell me you termed on the spot.
Josiegirl 03:37 AM 09-16-2020
Your mistake, as you now realize, was to tell her it's okay. That meant it was okay the next time and the next time too. I've been so guilty of that myself.
Then as soon as you do stand up for yourself they turn the blame around onto you instead of feeling guilty or ashamed.

Maybe time to add a late fee to your contract? I like the idea of increasing it with each violation, then using termination as a final result. Let them know you're serious and this is your business, you have a life, and they cannot overstep their boundaries or take advantage of you. IF constantly being late is an issue, then it's at your discretion to either redo their contract to make it worth your time OR tell them it clearly isn't working out and doesn't fit their needs anymore. Maybe she needs to figure out a way to get there on time as she has for so long before?

I hated confrontation as much as anyone but these forums helped me find my backbone more than I can tell you. AND when you find that backbone, your clients will give you more respect as a business owner. Good luck!! Now hold your chin up, be proud of yourself and know you are strong enough to do this. Even if you're quaking in your boots. Good luck!!
Remember, if you give an inch............
Josiegirl 03:38 AM 09-16-2020

At the time when she said it, I think she meant it as a threat that I was not allowed to charge her a late fee again or I was going to regret it.
Oh heck no!!!
Blackcat31 06:08 AM 09-16-2020
If you reread her post you she's actually advertising an app she made. And her siggy says something like stop late pickups.
I can see how it reads that way... I guess I perceived it differently as he's actually been a member here for a long time (2011) and has contributed to the conversations in many other areas other than just what the app can do so a post to slip an advertisement into the thread wasn't my first thought.

On a side note though; The app he developed is actually really cool and while he was developing it, he really listened to members and gleened a lot of useful input from the providers on this board.
springv 06:58 AM 09-16-2020
We have a form that the person that closes fills out and gives to the parent when they pick up or they put it on the board.
"Dear parents/guardians,
As of (date) you owe (amount) in late charges for late pick up. Please pay amount to the teacher that closes.
Thank
Is"
284878 09:14 AM 09-16-2020
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I can see how it reads that way... I guess I perceived it differently as he's actually been a member here for a long time (2011) and has contributed to the conversations in many other areas other than just what the app can do so a post to slip an advertisement into the thread wasn't my first thought.

On a side note though; The app he developed is actually really cool and while he was developing it, he really listened to members and gleened a lot of useful input from the providers on this board.
See I totally missed his join date, I saw the user name and didn't recognize it. Funny what we notice. Lol
Tags:late pick up fee, late pickup letter
Reply Up