Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Tummy Sleeping Infant, What Would You Do?
Francine 09:18 AM 10-25-2011
I have a new 9 week old that just started yesterday, at home he sleeps on his tummy. I am not comfortable putting him down on his tummy but he will not sleep on his back. I have had pretty good success with his side but he wakes right up if I lay him on his back. Have any of you had success retraining a tummy sleeper.
cheerfuldom 09:21 AM 10-25-2011
yes. you HAVE to retrain him. its going to take time but he will get it. I would also print out safe sleep info for the parents. let them know that you must have him sleeping on his back at daycare and the best idea is if you all retrain him together. either way, he is not going on the tummy at your house, thats seriously dangerous.
MyAngels 09:22 AM 10-25-2011
I did have one once that I had to convert to back sleeping here. It was tough, as his parents were just not on board with making the change. It took several weeks before he was sleeping peacefully on his back here.

It is against our licensing standards to have a child sleeping in any other way but on his/her back without a written authorization from the child's doctor on file.
Cat Herder 09:29 AM 10-25-2011
I would refuse to do the wrong thing.

I am adamant enough about this topic I would refuse to take the child.

I don't let my toddlers play in traffic, either, though...
cheerfuldom 09:30 AM 10-25-2011
I wouldn't do any other way even WITH a doctor's note. it would be so horrible to have a SIDS death at daycare. A doctor's note isn't going to make anyone feel any better when having to attend a child's funeral.
laundrymom 09:32 AM 10-25-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
I would refuse to do the wrong thing.

I am adamant enough about this topic I would refuse to take the child.

I don't let my toddlers play in traffic, either, though...
:-) me too.

Back to sleep. Every time. Every single time. I would have a nice DETAILED chat with parents as well. Let's wipe SIDS out. Ok?
MarinaVanessa 09:37 AM 10-25-2011
OMG I agree 100%. That is so unsafe. I can't tell you what to do but if it were me I would not want the liability. I wouldn't know what to do with myself if that baby died of sids under my care. I WOULD NOT put that baby to sleep on it's tummy OR on it's side. That's so dangerous that I can't believe that the parents would do this.

In my daycare I would just say no way, that baby sleeps on it's back. If it's too much to handle because the baby is already used to sleeping on it's back then the safest most appropriate thing to do is to term care for the infant. It is possible to retrain the baby to sleep on it's back and whether or not it's easy also depends on whether you have an easy baby or not so good luck to you.

Tread carefully and at least don't allow the baby to sleep on it's belly or on it's side. That could result in tragic results. For that matter don't allow the baby to sleep in a carseat, soft bedding or in a swing. KUP.
Francine 10:11 AM 10-25-2011
For the record, I have not put him on his belly. Yes, I did put him on his side yesterday because he needed to sleep and I thought maybe it was a stepping stone to his back. Also, he sleeps right here with me so he is never out of my sight. He is on his back right now but he isn't sleeping, every time I lay him down he wakes up. If anybody has any thoughts about how to make the transition I would love to hear them. These are great people, I'm not going to term them I will get him to sleep on his back.
laundrymom 10:32 AM 10-25-2011
I suggest a sleep sack with a swaddle flap
nannyde 10:35 AM 10-25-2011
Assuming this child is completely healthy with no medical diagnosis:

No I would not put him on his belly or on his side. It's not safe. If the child had a doctors order that stated he MUST sleep on his belly then I would term the child. A baby on his belly would have to have an adult right next to him watching every rise and fall of his chest. He would have to have intense one to one supervision every second of sleep which would be way too costly for my small business.

There's nothing to do to transition him. Do NOT allow him to sleep on his side and do not put ANYTHING in the bed with him.

Put him on his back and let him make friends with gravity. If he cries and is up all day then so be it. A crying baby is an alive baby.

Put him to bed WIDE awake and let him be. If he doesn't like it and cries then you just have the information that he doesn't like it. You don't have to solve it. It's okay for him to not like it. This is one of many situations in his life where he isn't going to like what's happening in his life.

Fair enough.

He doesn't like it and you get that he doesn't. Give him a ton of belly time when he is wide awake and right next to you. If he starts to fall asleep then flip him on his back to get him awake again. Once he's had a good fuss then flip him back and start over.

Don't let him sleep in anything but the bed and on his back. Tell the parents you can NOT belly sleep him and DOCUMENT that you have told them that he should NEVER sleep on his belly.
laundrymom 11:00 AM 10-25-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:

Put him on his back and let him make friends with gravity. If he cries and is up all day then so be it. A crying baby is an alive baby.

Can I get this on a billboard???? T shirt? Inkpen? Bumpersticker???
nannyde 11:16 AM 10-25-2011
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
Can I get this on a billboard???? T shirt? Inkpen? Bumpersticker???
What IS it going to take?

The parents have NO right doing this. We need to require parents to sign documents before they leave the hospital that they have been fully educated on back to sleep. Then if they choose to do this then they need to be turned into the State and investigated. There needs to be CONSEQUENCES for this just like there would be for a child care provider.

It doesn't matter who is taking care of the kid and what the relationship is. The parents do NOT have the right to belly sleep this child without having at least TWO medical doctors signing off on it and providing the intense second to second supervision that belly sleeping requires.

It's not their decision to do this. We need to get the idea out of our heads that parents have the right to decide it. They do NOT. It's child neglect to do this with a healthy baby.

There's way way way too much out there now telling parents that babies shouldn't cry and that we should solve crying because it's too stressful on the baby to cry. There has to be some balance where we understand that they ARE going to cry and that it's better for them to cry then it is to put them at risk. The motion sleep, car seat sleep, swaddle sleep, and belly sleep is being done so that they don't have the baby crying. Plain and simple.

We need to campaign to put babies to bed WIDE awake with NOTHING in the crib on their BACKS. Quit lulling them to sleep by feeding, swaddling, motion and position. Just put them to bed flat on their back ........awake and let nature take it's course.

They WILL get used to it. Every single one of mine does. Within a week or so of doing NOTHING to help them sleep and putting them to bed wide awake they go to sleep within a few minutes.
wdmmom 11:23 AM 10-25-2011
I'm not that old and when I was born, it was tummy to sleep. When I had my oldest daughter 15 years ago, it was side to sleep. Now for the past several years, it's been back to sleep.

I lay all my kids on their backs and every single one of them wakes up on their tummies.

My own children were all belly babies and I was perfectly fine with defying what the doctors had to say. Many, many children born in the 70s and 80s are fine and slept on their tummies.

I know about all the dangers and I don't put the daycare kids on their tummies but what do you do when they start rolling over around 6 months old? Are you flipping a sleeping baby back over?

First of all, I would contact licensing and see what they had to say about it. If I then had an option, I would require a doctors note and a signed affidavid that they want their child placed on their stomach, that they are aware of the potential risks and do not hold you accountable should those risks occur.

If they aren't willing to do this, buh bye!
nannyde 11:45 AM 10-25-2011
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
I'm not that old and when I was born, it was tummy to sleep. When I had my oldest daughter 15 years ago, it was side to sleep. Now for the past several years, it's been back to sleep.

I lay all my kids on their backs and every single one of them wakes up on their tummies.

My own children were all belly babies and I was perfectly fine with defying what the doctors had to say. Many, many children born in the 70s and 80s are fine and slept on their tummies.

When I first started caring for kids there were no car seat regulations. Millions of children were riding without seats or even buckles when I came up. When we KNOW better we DO better.

I know about all the dangers and I don't put the daycare kids on their tummies but what do you do when they start rolling over around 6 months old? Are you flipping a sleeping baby back over?

First of all, I would contact licensing and see what they had to say about it. If I then had an option, I would require a doctors note and a signed affidavid that they want their child placed on their stomach, that they are aware of the potential risks and do not hold you accountable should those risks occur.

If they aren't willing to do this, buh bye!
We had a LOT more babies dying in the 70's and 80's though. Back to sleep has saved many many lives.When I first started caring for kids there were no car seat regulations. Millions of children were riding without seats or even buckles when I came up. When we KNOW better we DO better.

The first week they flip over it's the riskiest time for them. It's a good idea to flip them back periodically during that week. Ask the parents to ALWAYS tell you when the kid flips from back to belly so you know the time stamp of when you need to supervise it and flip them over.

After the first week then you can allow them to sleep in the position they are most comfortable sleeping. You can't be in the business of flipping them constantly during nap.

Most babies will belly sleep when they can flip. At that point there really isn't much you can do but your normal nap supervision. I have an eight month old and I poke him every time I check on him. If I see his in the same spot after a couple of checks I will flip him over just to make me feel better. If he has his head up to the wall of the playpen I move him to the middle every time.

He sleeps great so I can mess with him at nap. I get them used to a lot of touching during sleep from the time they are first here. He sleeps thru me coming in and out and poking him twenty times during nap.
Heidi 01:20 PM 10-25-2011
Originally Posted by Francine:
I have a new 9 week old that just started yesterday, at home he sleeps on his tummy. I am not comfortable putting him down on his tummy but he will not sleep on his back. I have had pretty good success with his side but he wakes right up if I lay him on his back. Have any of you had success retraining a tummy sleeper.
dont do it, dont do it, dont do it!

A local provider here recently lost a baby who she's laid on his tummy per the parent's request.

WI requires family childcare providers to lay them on their backs.

My children (all 4) slept on their tummies, and they are 22, 19, 14, & 11. I think they slept better, honestly. But, I would NOT do it today...
Heidi 01:23 PM 10-25-2011
Assuming this child is completely healthy with no medical diagnosis:

No I would not put him on his belly or on his side. It's not safe. If the child had a doctors order that stated he MUST sleep on his belly then I would term the child. A baby on his belly would have to have an adult right next to him watching every rise and fall of his chest. He would have to have intense one to one supervision every second of sleep which would be way too costly for my small business.

There's nothing to do to transition him. Do NOT allow him to sleep on his side and do not put ANYTHING in the bed with him.

Put him to bed WIDE awake and let him be. If he doesn't like it and cries then you just have the information that he doesn't like it. You don't have to solve it. It's okay for him to not like it. This is one of many situations in his life where he isn't going to like what's happening in his life.

Fair enough.

He doesn't like it and you get that he doesn't. Give him a ton of belly time when he is wide awake and right next to you. If he starts to fall asleep then flip him on his back to get him awake again. Once he's had a good fuss then flip him back and start over.

Don't let him sleep in anything but the bed and on his back. Tell the parents you can NOT belly sleep him and DOCUMENT that you have told them that he should NEVER sleep on his belly.
He will learn...it may drive you bonkers, but he will learn!
nannyde 01:48 PM 10-25-2011
Originally Posted by bbo:
dont do it, dont do it, dont do it!

A local provider here recently lost a baby who she's laid on his tummy per the parent's request.

WI requires family childcare providers to lay them on their backs.

My children (all 4) slept on their tummies, and they are 22, 19, 14, & 11. I think they slept better, honestly. But, I would NOT do it today...
I had EVERY baby on their belly for the first couple of decades of doing this. I truly didn't KNOW better.

What I don't get is how a parent today can't know. What are we doing wrong that a parent doesn't understand that they MUST have them sleep on their backs?

What is it going to take? Is it going to take that parents who go against it and have babies die ... or providers who go against it with or without the parents permission... that THOSE adults HAVE to be prosecuted so that all caregivers GET that it's NOT their choice to do this?

We have to get the message to the parents that they DO NOT GET TO CHOOSE. We need to have CONSEQUENCES to get this across. Training... education... public service announcements... and legal criminal consequences if they do it and a baby dies.
MsMe 01:57 PM 10-25-2011
[quote=nannyde;158442]We had a LOT more babies dying in the 70's and 80's though. Back to sleep has saved many many lives.When I first started caring for kids there were no car seat regulations. Millions of children were riding without seats or even buckles when I came up. When we KNOW better we DO better.

The first week they flip over it's the riskiest time for them. It's a good idea to flip them back periodically during that week. Ask the parents to ALWAYS tell you when the kid flips from back to belly so you know the time stamp of when you need to supervise it and flip them over.

After the first week then you can allow them to sleep in the position they are most comfortable sleeping. You can't be in the business of flipping them constantly during nap.

Most babies will belly sleep when they can flip. At that point there really isn't much you can do but your normal nap supervision. I have an eight month old and I poke him every time I check on him. If I see his in the same spot after a couple of checks I will flip him over just to make me feel better. If he has his head up to the wall of the playpen I move him to the middle every time.

He sleeps great so I can mess with him at nap. I get them used to a lot of touching during sleep from the time they are first here. He sleeps thru me coming in and out and poking him twenty times during nap. [/QUOTE]

my babies are also very used to me touching them while they sleep....I am not satified untill I see movement....they learn to stay asleep through the interuptions of me checking on them.
Cat Herder 02:19 PM 10-25-2011
To poke the baby is to love the baby.

nannyde 02:24 PM 10-25-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
To poke the baby is to love the baby.

Everytime we TALK about his he gets poked a LOT more.
Cat Herder 02:28 PM 10-25-2011

Everytime we TALK about his he gets poked a LOT more.
Yeah, but aren't they worth it. I LOVE "my" babies....
Country Kids 02:32 PM 10-25-2011
I wouldn't have slept if my babies didn't sleep on their tummies! We tried everything-swaddling, back sleeping, no covers, cio. Luckily they are with us to this day but they seriously wouldn't sleep unless on their tummies. One of ours cried for over two hours for days if not weeks when we were trying the cio method.

Also, all of mine hated the crib. They wouldn't sleep more than a hour in it. Oh, I loved having babies but I look back and think if I could do it over I would somehow make it so I wouldn't have had to work and would have had the energy to work more with mine on things like sleep.

Maybe that is why parents to the easiest thing-because by the end of the day they are soooooo exhausted they just want the baby to sleep.
nannyde 04:54 PM 10-25-2011
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
Maybe that is why parents to the easiest thing-because by the end of the day they are soooooo exhausted they just want the baby to sleep.
Yes this is pretty much why parents and providers do tummy sleeping, swing sleeping, car seat sleeping. The parents are tired and don't want the crying. The providers are tired and don't want the crying.

I think if we really studied WHY parents and providers do tummy, swing, car seat, swaddling etc. it would be 100 percent about crying.

We NEED to talk openly about crying. We need to have CRYING plans in place for parents and providers. We need more research about the effects of crying and educate parents and providers about how to cope with crying so that bad decisions or desperate decisions aren't made.

We also need to train providers that parents aren't allowed to give permission about sleep positions. We need to use car seats as the example so it's easily understandable. It's NOT up to the parents whether or not the child is in a car seat when they are in a car. They don't GET to decide whether or not they WANT the seat. It's the LAW it's not up to them and they don't get an opinion on it.

They need to understand that they don't get to decide to belly sleep the child. They don't get to use positional devices. They don't get to allow swing sleeping. It's not a personal decision. It needs to be the law. We KNOW it's unsafe and we shouldn't allow any leeway in it.

We need to do intensive campaigns about sleep positions and crying management.
Cat Herder 06:12 PM 10-25-2011
Yes this is pretty much why parents and providers do tummy sleeping, swing sleeping, car seat sleeping. .
Don't forget "Magic Milk"

Parenting was never meant to be easy....

Grr... the whole "no cry" thing get's under my skin.
Unregistered 05:21 AM 05-17-2014
what about once the children can flip over easily, back and forth. we have an 8 month old that will turn right back over all day!
SilverSabre25 05:49 AM 05-17-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
what about once the children can flip over easily, back and forth. we have an 8 month old that will turn right back over all day!
Once they can turn over, you can let them sleep in whatever position they prefer. You lay them down on their back, they take it from there.
Play Care 06:15 AM 05-17-2014
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
Once they can turn over, you can let them sleep in whatever position they prefer. You lay them down on their back, they take it from there.

Unregistered 07:11 AM 05-17-2014
In Minnesota we are now required to flip the baby from tummy to back while sleeping if they are under six months old, unless we have a signed note from the parent that the baby rolls regularly from tummy to back.

It makes me mad when I see babies in the hospital nursery side-sleeping or tummy-sleeping. It's not a good model for parents. Not a good way to start them out.
Unregistered 09:01 AM 05-17-2014
Also in MN providers ARE PROSECUTED if an infant dies while asleep in a sleep environment that does not follow the new rules. Prosecuted. Fined at least $1,000 and lose their license. They may be able to appeal, but not sure there would be a point. It's all over the news when it happens. Mugshot and all.
I don't know if that's happening everywhere, but it is here.
Tags:infant - safety, infant - sleeping issues, infant care, naptime - requirements, naptime -infants, sids, sleeps on stomach, suid, tummy sleeper
Reply Up