Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
New Members - Welcome to the Daycare.com Forum!>Daycare License in VA for Camps
jprice 04:26 AM 07-01-2017
Hi, we recently placed our 2 year old in a summer camp... they said they are not licensed to change diapers but will take the existing one off and place pull ups on our little one. Does anyone know if Virginia allows this? It seems to me if your not licensed that would still constitute changing? This is a summer camp so if anyone has any insight it is much appreciated! Thank you!!
Leigh 02:42 PM 07-01-2017
Originally Posted by jprice:
Hi, we recently placed our 2 year old in a summer camp... they said they are not licensed to change diapers but will take the existing one off and place pull ups on our little one. Does anyone know if Virginia allows this? It seems to me if your not licensed that would still constitute changing? This is a summer camp so if anyone has any insight it is much appreciated! Thank you!!
I have never, ever heard of having to be licensed to change a diaper. EVER.
Blackcat31 02:50 PM 07-01-2017
Originally Posted by jprice:
I've never heard of summer camp for a 2 year old.
Wouldn't that just be daycare?

"Camp" means a child day camp that is a child day center for school age children that operates during the summer vacation months only. Four-year-old children who will be five by September 30 of the same year may be included in a camp for school age children.

http://register.dls.virginia.gov/details.aspx?id=3122
blandino 10:29 PM 07-01-2017
I don't know for sure, but I have never heard of another state needing a special/different license to change diapers.

A lot of places that don't change diapers, preschools etc, don't meet the licensing standards for diaper changing areas (ie where I live, the 3 year old classrooms don't have changing tables), so the facility may not meet the diaper changing area requirements.

I think what they mean regarding pull-ups, is that the CHILD can remove them, and throw them away and put on a new one - then they can permit that. At least that's the way it works commonly here. As long as the pull-up is managed by the child - then it's fine.
Mike 04:35 AM 07-02-2017
Originally Posted by blandino:
I don't know for sure, but I have never heard of another state needing a special/different license to change diapers.

A lot of places that don't change diapers, preschools etc, don't meet the licensing standards for diaper changing areas (ie where I live, the 3 year old classrooms don't have changing tables), so the facility may not meet the diaper changing area requirements.

I think what they mean regarding pull-ups, is that the CHILD can remove them, and throw them away and put on a new one - then they can permit that. At least that's the way it works commonly here. As long as the pull-up is managed by the child - then it's fine.
That's what I'm thinking too. Maybe they mean if the child can't change their own pullups, they will, but only pullups. I have a feeling they don't normally take children not potty trained.
jprice 06:45 PM 07-02-2017
thank you to all for the replies!... it actually is a licensing and likely varies from state to state a little ( someone here actually quoted the Va requirements which I knew but I really appreciate them reviewing)... the crux of our issue is this "camp" which is effectively day care for 6 hours a day was a little deceptive on what they were legally able to do... thank you again
jprice 06:50 PM 07-02-2017
you are correct and thank you,,, it is a 6 hour "camp" that spends most, if not all the time outside playing and getting the kids exposed to nature... a great idea ... they take 2 years old and up with different age groups and maximums for their class sizes, etc.
Reply Up