Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Comprehension Problem?
NiNi.R. 03:20 PM 09-27-2011
I have a 4 year old dcg that has so much trouble comprehending things. At first I thought it was just stubbornness.

For example, a couple weeks ago I did away with my toy box and got 6 small tote baskets to keep toys on a book shelf. I explained to her and my 3 year old daughter that the baskets need to stay on the bookshelf and to only grab toys out of the basket (all while demonstrating). I asked them if they understood. Both said yes. I asked my daughter to repeat. She did. DCG could not. So I got her one on one and explained it to her again. Asked her to repeat. She couldn't. Finally after the 3rd time she got it.

She talks very well but she also has trouble explaining things. Say someone takes her toy and they get into an argument about it. I'll take them both aside and ask them to tell me what happened. She will burst into tears like she is in trouble and she can never tell me why she gets upset. Even though I assure her she is not in trouble I just need to know what happened.

After all that I was thinking maybe she just gets babied at home. Mom's also mentioned that they never get the chance to explain themselves that they just instantly get in trouble.

Today I set 4 blocks out and asked them to count them and tell me how many there were. She would count them correctly then tell me there were 3. I demonstrated for her and told her it was 4. had her repeat. she told me it was 3. After awhile she finally got it.

Maybe I'm overreacting or expecting to much but I have 2 other 3 year olds that can carry out the instructions especially after they have been demonstrated.

Any thoughts or advice on this? Please and thank you ahead of time
AfterSchoolMom 06:12 PM 09-27-2011
Does she/will she maintain eye contact with you while you're explaining something to her? Does she seem willing to attempt to understand, or does she get frustrated when she isn't getting it? How's her attention for other activities?
NiNi.R. 04:07 AM 09-28-2011
Originally Posted by AfterSchoolMom:
Does she/will she maintain eye contact with you while you're explaining something to her? Does she seem willing to attempt to understand, or does she get frustrated when she isn't getting it? How's her attention for other activities?
She does maintain eye contact. She doesn't get frustrated she acts like she just doesn't care but she is kind of blank when I talk to her almost like talking to a brick wall. Her attention span is just fine. She can sit down and carry out the activity it just takes her awhile before she can "understand" the instructions.
countrymom 06:12 AM 09-28-2011
I have a 6 yr old who can't remember. and its because no one ever plays the remember game. Acually I saw this a while ago, every day I ask my own children what did they do in school, who was missing, who got in trouble....its important for children to remember what is going on. So I ask the 6 yr old, what did he do at school, what he ate, ....he can't tell me anything, and I mean nothing. So I asked mom and she was so shocked that he can't remember his day, but then I asked her if she ever asks him and she was like "no". This helps their mind, its like strength training.
I would get her to explain more, like more indepth questions, its going to take a while, but my guess is that she has never been taught how to explain things.
Tags:4 year old, comprehension
Reply Up