Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Days Off
tenderhearts 08:41 AM 01-11-2018
I was wondering how much vacation time you take through out the year? I have only ever taken a full week of care off probably twice in my 19 years of doing daycare, I usually do Friday here and there and sometimes in summer along with a Monday for appointments ect. which probably totals through out the whole year to 10-12 days. However, I am feeling like I need to do a week vacation in summer but still continue with my Fridays here and there, usually those are in the summer time. It's just so hard to get in appointments and be able to go and do something with my family. So I added up approx what I would take this year and it's about 16 days (those are not including already Holidays I am closed). Does this sound like too much? I need it. lol
amberrose3dg 08:44 AM 01-11-2018
Originally Posted by tenderhearts:
I was wondering how much vacation time you take through out the year? I have only ever taken a full week of care off probably twice in my 19 years of doing daycare, I usually do Friday here and there and sometimes in summer along with a Monday for appointments ect. which probably totals through out the whole year to 10-12 days. However, I am feeling like I need to do a week vacation in summer but still continue with my Fridays here and there, usually those are in the summer time. It's just so hard to get in appointments and be able to go and do something with my family. So I added up approx what I would take this year and it's about 16 days (those are not including already Holidays I am closed). Does this sound like too much? I need it. lol
What do you have in your contract?
I currently have 2 paid weeks off.
I have 8 major holidays off.
I also allow for 5 personal, 5 sick and 3 training days.
If I needed more time I would simply credit my parents back.
tenderhearts 08:54 AM 01-11-2018
I only have in my contract the 6 major holidays that are paid. I do not get paid for any vacation or sick days outside of that. So basically any other day I take off is unpaid
amberrose3dg 09:01 AM 01-11-2018
I only have in my contract the 6 major holidays that are paid. I do not get paid for any vacation or sick days outside of that. So basically any other day I take off is unpaid
Then take what you need. If you can find a sub to work on some of the days. If not give parents proper notice. You need to do what is best for you.
Blackcat31 09:10 AM 01-11-2018
You know what I do? I take off as much or as little time as I need to take. Some years I operate every day other than major holidays and other years I've closed every Friday all summer or just no school days. It seriously depends on me (mood, physical condition, mental state etc) and sometimes it depends on my group of kids...some years are harder than others and some times I need more time off...sometimes I need to not take as much time off if I want my group of kiddos to stay within their routine (ie less stress for me) so my advice is do what you feel you need to do.

I "write" my closed/vacation days off as "potentially these days" will be my vacation days. I usually say I will take NO MORE than x # of days off per year (I am paid for all days closed/open) and then decide about 30 days in advance.

For example I wasn't sure of the exact dates I wanted to take off for Christmas so I just told parents in the beginning of November that I would be taking a vacation as usual (and as stated in my handbook) but was unsure of the exact dates. When it got to be Thanksgiving I decided on the dates and told parents then.

I see that as a "working relationship". What I (and parents) need this year may not be the same next year so I do what I can when I can and if I can't I don't. And I don't feel bad about any of it as long as I have open communication with parents.

I don't get suckered into staying open if I don't want to though so that play it as you need it method may not work for you if you are the type to act on guilt or have parents that will push boundaries.

So my advice is take what you need and don't feel bad about it. Just communicate with your clients with as much advance notice as possible and you'll be fine.

Life isn't a repeat year after year so things change.
For everyone.
tenderhearts 09:14 AM 01-11-2018
That's exactly how I do it, some years I'm ok with a little less time but my group has been definitely more challenging so I feel like I need more time. Plus I'm really finding I don't have time for my family as much since usually my day off here and there is for doctor or dentist appointment.
I give my parents ample notice. In January I give them my June - Oct dates then in around June I give them Oct through approx February. I do tell them it's subject to change, may if another doctor or dentist appt that I can't for see.
DaveA 09:22 AM 01-11-2018
The major holidays, my Birthday & Anniversary, and a summer and winter break. DCPs know about them well in advance. I'm a firm believer that enough time away from this business is a necessity for long term success.
Ariana 09:24 AM 01-11-2018
I have 4 weeks unpaid written into my contract. I rarely use all of that time because I work part time so have time off regularly.

I feel like you may not be taking enough time off
tenderhearts 09:47 AM 01-11-2018
Yea I don't think I'm taking off enough time either I just don't want parents to be alarmed when I give them the list. Although at this point I don't care, they should understand I have things to do too plus have time to enjoy things.
CityGarden 10:47 AM 01-11-2018
I state that I follow the local Public School calendar. I find that by following the school calendar I have ample time off and parents are less likely to question the calendar.

Following the school calendar this year I have four paid weeks off during the school year including Thanksgiving Break (1 week), Winter Break (2 weeks) and Spring Break (1 week) plus all National and local holidays observed by the school district and the district teacher in-service days.

I am still in need of fine tuning my summer time off but... last summer I took 3 week off paid in August but I also allowed parents to have two free vacation week to use anytime during the year. I do not think I will stick with this going forward but that is worthy of it's own thread.

Take the time you need and can afford. Parents will have to follow the school schedule soon enough so that was my thought but take what you feel you can realistically take. Maybe this year that is time without pay, maybe next year instead of increasing tuition you add a revised calendar allowing for more time off....
Indoorvoice 11:26 AM 01-11-2018
I just take off when I need it. I plan major holidays and vacations at the beginning of the school year. I mostly follow the school calendar due to my own kids being in school and all of my clients have at least one kid in school right now so they would have to find care anyway. If I need to take extra I don't charge. This summer I'm taking every Friday off.
tenderhearts 12:01 PM 01-11-2018
Thank you! I'm just really missing planning something fun mini vacation at least once a year instead of using my days off for appointments, or doing something daycare related, or resting lol. I added up between Jan 1 - Sept. there is 15 days I am taking (that is NOT including Holidays July 4th Memorial day ect). I'm doing it
Homebody 12:53 PM 01-11-2018
Don't feel guilty taking time off when you need to especially if you aren't charging for those days. I'm just starting my third year doing daycare. Last year I took the first week of July off and the week between Christmas and New Years, and the major holidays. I don't charge for days that the daycare is closed so I don't feel bad about it. I need time off to recharge. I just updated my contract to include up to 10 personal days besides the 10 vacation days I had in there already, as well as major holidays. I may or may not use those personal days but its good to have it in the contract just in case.
LysesKids 01:13 PM 01-11-2018
I have taken 6 major holidays plus 14 vacation days for years (total 20 days). 16 days is diddly for a provider that is that long in
tenderhearts 07:59 AM 01-12-2018
I gave them my list through summer and there is a total of 17 days not including the holidays, I feel good giving it, no one said anything, one dad briefly looked at it and said oh cool, no problem I think we'll have a lot of these off anyways! I said yea I know there's a few extra in there but I feel I need extra time and he said yes absolutely I get it. I really need it. Especially after really feeling the last few months like confused if I want to continue this or not, but I feel trapped. So hopefully this will help because I think alot of it is from exhaustion and really not having much time for me on days I take off, never getting a feeling of feeling recovered, I took almost a week of at Christmas and boy it felt really good when I returned last week.
CityGarden 08:36 AM 01-12-2018
I gave them my list through summer and there is a total of 17 days not including the holidays, I feel good giving it, no one said anything, one dad briefly looked at it and said oh cool, no problem I think we'll have a lot of these off anyways! I said yea I know there's a few extra in there but I feel I need extra time and he said yes absolutely I get it. I really need it. Especially after really feeling the last few months like confused if I want to continue this or not, but I feel trapped. So hopefully this will help because I think alot of it is from exhaustion and really not having much time for me on days I take off, never getting a feeling of feeling recovered, I took almost a week of at Christmas and boy it felt really good when I returned last week.
New to home daycare but not new to teaching I can tell you the time off is needed. Perhaps consider building in more time off into your contract going forward and make that paid time. Giving yourself significant time off may allow you to feel better about the job.
hwichlaz 08:48 AM 01-12-2018
I can't really afford to go anywhere for long, so I like to take long weekends that coincide with federal holidays, for which I'm paid. This year I think I have 8 scheduled.
Tags:days off
Reply Up