Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
New Members - Welcome to the Daycare.com Forum!>How Much To Charge
Unregistered 05:24 AM 01-04-2012
I am a first time poster here but have lurked for a while. I hope you ladies will give me some much needed advice. I am a single mom and I watch a child before and after school including driving to and from school and he is autistic and still wears diapers and needs to be changed. For 20 hrs per week I receive $75. Last week I called out sick because my kids were sick with the stomach virus and I didn't want this little boy catching it. I charge the mother a weekly rate. Without consulting me, she deducted the day I didn't watch her child saying she won't pay me if I am not watching him. She was apparently infuriated she could not bring him because my kids were sick. She said she wanted to regardless. She'd done this before when my kids had strep and this time she said she wasn't given the choice so why should I be given the choice for pay? First, should I expect to be paid for the day my kids were sick? We have no real contract, just a verbal agreement with many misunderstandings that need to be cleared up. I told her I felt 5 sick days, if needed, were acceptable since she has the same with her job and I treat this professionally as my job. I see it as my business. Second, she tells me last night she found 10 other daycare providers who would charge the same rate as I am($75 week) to do everything I am doing. I do not believe this. Looking for some input. Thanks.
MyAngels 06:31 AM 01-04-2012
If you want to enforce payment for days that you are unavailable you will need a contract that spells that out.
AfterSchoolMom 06:41 AM 01-04-2012
First of all, you need a contract if you want to enforce these kinds of things.

Personally, I don't charge when my own kids are sick and I have to close, because then the parent has to find alternate care and probably pay for that. However, I don't see anything wrong with wanting pay for the days that THEY don't attend...and either scenario is fine as long as you can get her to agree and sign off on it.

Another thing...don't let her tell you what to do. You do not work for her, you provide a service for her. Don't put up with parental bullying. If she knows ten other providers, then tell her good luck! My guess is she's bluffing anyway, and just trying to get you to do what she wants.
mismatchedsocks 06:58 AM 01-04-2012
I think contract should be Number one on your list of to do's! Second, I dont charge if I close because of us being sick...i credit the days. HOWEVER if you had a contract that stated you get 5 days and she signed it then it would hold up, but since no contract...I agree with mom.

BUT, there is no way I would keep watching her child IF she told me she called 10 daycares that charge what i do for doing what I do. I would have said then go there, buh bye! how rude!
Unregistered 09:42 AM 01-04-2012
thank you. I'm writing her out a fully detailed contract and a letter explaining. We DID have a contract. It spelled out I expected to be paid for sick days. She tried to claim it did not. I printed up a copy and am giving it to her, highlighted. I don't care if she goes elsewhere. I just find it terrible she's telling me as an unlicensed sahm trying to help her out, that I have to provide her with a back up when I cannot watch her son, and that so many others will do this for her child. You're right, if that's the case then go. He has autism, requires diaper changes still and has damanged 2 baby gates and my wall. NO ONE would put up with this.
mommyx5 11:55 AM 01-04-2012
I do have a contract. I gave it to her, spelling out my sick policy as well. I didn't realize I had stated sick policy. Thought it was only vacation. I wrote her out a letter, telling her if she found someone else for the rate I was getting, to do what I do, then great. Go. I'm essentially a babysitter. She is my only client. She tells me I can only provide care for 12 hrs per week unlicensed. I don't believe this is true. Is it?
MyAngels 01:56 PM 01-04-2012
Originally Posted by mommyx5:
I do have a contract. I gave it to her, spelling out my sick policy as well. I didn't realize I had stated sick policy. Thought it was only vacation. I wrote her out a letter, telling her if she found someone else for the rate I was getting, to do what I do, then great. Go. I'm essentially a babysitter. She is my only client. She tells me I can only provide care for 12 hrs per week unlicensed. I don't believe this is true. Is it?
I doubt that that's true, but without knowing what state you are in I can't say for sure. Most states have a limit to the number of unrelated children you can care for without being licensed, but not the amount of hours per week. There's a link on daycare.com somewhere to the licensing information for each state.
mommyx5 02:18 PM 01-04-2012
thanks. I'm going to look into this. I gave her my revised contract, as well as the new one with the rules and expect to be hearing from her.
Michael 06:23 PM 01-04-2012
thanks. I'm going to look into this. I gave her my revised contract, as well as the new one with the rules and expect to be hearing from her.
Welcome, glad you finally joined.
mommyx5 12:58 PM 01-05-2012
well she quit this mornign but brought her son and said tomorrow would be his last day. I took her son to school and then texted her that I was done. she wrote back saying that was fine that she'd already contacted cps and her son's school. I asked why. No response. She argued with me over the contract and tried to tell me her sister is a lawyer. Refused to pay me what she owes me. What do I do regarding cps?
MyAngels 02:52 PM 01-05-2012
There's not much you can do, really. If they call or stop by cooperate with them fully, explain your side of the situation, then allow them to do their job.
mommyx5 05:01 PM 01-05-2012
What might they do since he's no longer under my care? What can they do? Can I be fined for being unlicensed?
MyAngels 05:37 PM 01-05-2012
What might they do since he's no longer under my care? What can they do? Can I be fined for being unlicensed?
It really depends on why she calls them. Personally, I would bet it's probably a bluff to scare you in some way, but you never know.

You should take a look at your state's regulations regarding unlicensed daycare providers. If you are within the rules, then you really have nothing to worry about. If you are not, then you should take a look at the penalties that you could face for running an unlicensed daycare.

If she calls them with complaints over payment, then they will likely tell her to take it up with you.

If she levels charges of abuse, that's another kettle of fish.

But as I said, it's likely that she's bluffing, and will never make a call to cps in the first place.
Cat Herder 05:54 PM 01-05-2012
Most CPS and State workers are used to parents filing false claims when they don't get the answer they are looking for. They will be fair, don't be afraid. Be honest, cooperate fully. They see REAL stuff often and can smell a false report in a split second.

I agree you should get on your States Childcare Licensing site right now to make sure you are legally allowed to be unlicensed. Here it is up to two kids (related/unrelated does not matter) for pay.....and my State is crazy strict.
Unregistered 02:45 PM 08-28-2012
There is nobody who does childcare that I know of that would change diapers on an Autistic child and drive them to and from school for 75 dollars a week. There is no way she can find other care lol Let her try. I have done childcare for over 35 yrs now and i think we all need to get a website going to let providers say when parents dont pay or threaten a provider . Its time to be strong and stand up for what we do . Its our job and its crazy people dont pay for service they recieve . My favorite one lately is when i insisted on pay she said you are all about the money lol Arent we all working to get paid or do we get up at 4 to watch your child free? Doesnt the parent get paid and have sick days . Its ridiculous and getting worse with what I call progressive parents who raise disrespectful kids. I find the kids who have behavior issues come from parents like this that dont pay and show no respect . If daycare providers got all the money we were ever owed we could solve the hunger problem in the world lol
Tags:autistic, contract - revisions
Reply Up