Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
New Members - Welcome to the Daycare.com Forum!>Scrubs
TGPII 11:38 PM 05-11-2012
OK so I got a job offer. I know some daycares require scrubs or smock as uniform. Most of the time it was optional or I got out of it because I was male. I think they are unprofessional unless your in the medical field. One person was like yo will not have to ware them. Another person we had a male wear them. It is not so much the scrubs it is the colors you have to wear.

Monday = Ocean Blue Tuesday = Hot Pink Wednesday = Lime Green Thursday = Orange Friday = Yellow. I am going to have to talk to them about this. Not to be sexiest but a male in Hot Pink scrubs? Anyways what you think? Also I think I have to buy my own uniforms.
Blackcat31 06:38 AM 05-12-2012
I think that you need to either follow the rules of the job that is being offered or you need to not accept the job.

I do get the hot pink thing though and perhaps they could make an exception about that but on the other hand, we work in early childhood...there is no such thing as a boy or girl color (or anything else for that matter) and a big part of early childhood is to not teach the children that concept.

Honestly, I think if you wear the hot pink color, it shows the children, of all sexes, that you are comfortable being you and it has nothing to do with the colors of your clothing. Beside, being male and wearing pink has become the norm...I say go with it and be part of removing the stigma that comes with it.

Being a professional also means not letting your own personal biases and feelings affect your job.

Good luck and congratulations on the job offer.
TGPII 07:21 AM 05-12-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I think that you need to either follow the rules of the job that is being offered or you need to not accept the job.

I do get the hot pink thing though and perhaps they could make an exception about that but on the other hand, we work in early childhood...there is no such thing as a boy or girl color (or anything else for that matter) and a big part of early childhood is to not teach the children that concept.

Honestly, I think if you wear the hot pink color, it shows the children, of all sexes, that you are comfortable being you and it has nothing to do with the colors of your clothing. Beside, being male and wearing pink has become the norm...I say go with it and be part of removing the stigma that comes with it.

Being a professional also means not letting your own personal biases and feelings affect your job.

Good luck and congratulations on the job offer.
Well, I use to work at a daycare were women had to wear a dress and males wear a tie. I mean working with children in a dress?
TGPII 02:29 PM 05-13-2012
Originally Posted by TGPII:
Well, I use to work at a daycare were women had to wear a dress and males wear a tie. I mean working with children in a dress?

I did recently turn down a job of similar pay. However this offers raises and advancements. The other place would not. Anyways anyone know how much scrubs cost?
MyAngels 03:11 PM 05-13-2012
I agree with Blackcat about accepting the conditions of the job.

You can get a set (pants and top) at our local Walmart for about $25.00.

My son has a couple of pink shirts that he wears and he says the ladies just love that color on him , so maybe it won't be all bad if they make you wear the pink ones.

Good luck with the new job!
TGPII 05:50 PM 05-15-2012
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
I agree with Blackcat about accepting the conditions of the job.

You can get a set (pants and top) at our local Walmart for about $25.00.

My son has a couple of pink shirts that he wears and he says the ladies just love that color on him , so maybe it won't be all bad if they make you wear the pink ones.

Good luck with the new job!
http://forums.atozteacherstuff.com/s...d.php?t=158956
onebusybee 08:32 PM 05-15-2012
Maybe if you were to take the job you could approach them with the idea of wearing shades for that certain color for the day. Example on the day that you are to wear lime green what about dark green, they are in the same color family. Maybe on the days for pink having the males that are employed there wear red. It would be a good way to talk about mixing colors, red and white make pink. Just a few ideas. It also depends on the ages, surroundings, etc. at the job. Good luck!
MarinaVanessa 10:31 AM 05-16-2012
My concern with this is that you have been working very hard at finding a job and now that you have found one you have already started questioning the policies. I would think that if you really wanted this opportuntity that you would bend over backwards to fullfill the job requirements. I'd be tickled pink to get a job if I was in your situation and if they wanted me to wear a dress, scrubs, clown costume etc in red, yellow, hot green with orange stars, poopoo brown ... whatever, I'd wear it. Then later if it bothered me that much then I'd simply continue my search for a different job that didn't have this requirement.

And no disrespect to you whatsoever but do you really want to be THAT employee KWIM? To me a uniform is a uniform and if this is a policy and from a Management perspective if you just got the job and you are already going to question the policies then I'd be worried about what other policies you're going to bring up next.

All in all these are the types of questions that should have been asked before and during the interview. By all means if it bothers you and you want to ask for them to make an exception then do so ... this just seems like a silly issue to me considering that you have been working so hard for a job in child care.

That being said it is my experience that most employers require some sort of uniform and the employee is usually required to pay for these out of pocket. For example, fast food, retailers etc. May require khakis and a company shirt and the employee has to find and purchase their own khakis and the first shirt is usually given to the employee by the employer for free but any others beyond that are deducted from the employees paycheck. This has been my experience anyway.

On that note, scrubs are relatively inexpensive and durable so they hold up a lot longer to wash and wear. You can find scrub shirts online starting at around $12-$20 and the pants start at around $19-$35 depending on the style and where you get them. Ask your employer where they get their scrubs and where you can find them for less. The upside to paying for these yourself is that it's deductible so you can write them off next time you do your taxes.
TGPII 01:58 PM 05-16-2012
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
My concern with this is that you have been working very hard at finding a job and now that you have found one you have already started questioning the policies. I would think that if you really wanted this opportuntity that you would bend over backwards to fullfill the job requirements. I'd be tickled pink to get a job if I was in your situation and if they wanted me to wear a dress, scrubs, clown costume etc in red, yellow, hot green with orange stars, poopoo brown ... whatever, I'd wear it. Then later if it bothered me that much then I'd simply continue my search for a different job that didn't have this requirement.

And no disrespect to you whatsoever but do you really want to be THAT employee KWIM? To me a uniform is a uniform and if this is a policy and from a Management perspective if you just got the job and you are already going to question the policies then I'd be worried about what other policies you're going to bring up next.

All in all these are the types of questions that should have been asked before and during the interview. By all means if it bothers you and you want to ask for them to make an exception then do so ... this just seems like a silly issue to me considering that you have been working so hard for a job in child care.

That being said it is my experience that most employers require some sort of uniform and the employee is usually required to pay for these out of pocket. For example, fast food, retailers etc. May require khakis and a company shirt and the employee has to find and purchase their own khakis and the first shirt is usually given to the employee by the employer for free but any others beyond that are deducted from the employees paycheck. This has been my experience anyway.

On that note, scrubs are relatively inexpensive and durable so they hold up a lot longer to wash and wear. You can find scrub shirts online starting at around $12-$20 and the pants start at around $19-$35 depending on the style and where you get them. Ask your employer where they get their scrubs and where you can find them for less. The upside to paying for these yourself is that it's deductible so you can write them off next time you do your taxes.
Scrubs:

daycare 02:02 PM 05-16-2012
Originally Posted by TGPII:
Scrubs:

why are you posting about this other site...what are you trying to tell us??
Blackcat31 02:08 PM 05-16-2012
Originally Posted by daycare:
why are you posting about this other site...what are you trying to tell us??
especially since a majority of posters in that forum are telling you the same things. Either take the job and wear the required colors or don't take the job. Your choice but seriously waaaaaaaay to much discussion about the color of your clothing. NOT a huge deal. If money were pink, would you rather be paid with soda crackers?
GrannyJ 03:00 PM 05-16-2012
All the daycare centers in my area require you to wear scrubs. It is pretty much the norm now. I don't understand how everyone wearing the same thing (scrubs) and all the same color could be considered unprofessional.

Oh, and I totally agree with Blackcat!
MarinaVanessa 03:46 PM 05-16-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
especially since a majority of posters in that forum are telling you the same things.
And I think that we've been WAY more nice and patient than they are being in the other thread. JMHO I still think that this is a non-issue but if it bothers you then bring it up to your boss if that's what you feel like doing. Keep us posted.
TGPII 06:54 AM 05-17-2012
And I think that we've been WAY more nice and patient than they are being in the other thread. JMHO I still think that this is a non-issue but if it bothers you then bring it up to your boss if that's what you feel like doing. Keep us posted.
http://www.linkedin.com/groupItem?vi...entID_80929971
TGPII 07:08 AM 05-17-2012
Thanks for being brutal but honest. I need to suck it up and just do it. Thanks!
MsKitten 04:31 PM 05-23-2012
I agree with everyone here, its there rules not yours, and they are paying *you* to work there, which is a priviledge. On the other hand, I know I would gasp at having to go out and dish out so much money on that many different uniforms. Too bad they dont just let you stick to a couple of approved colors.

IMO though, It would be so easy to have a uniform such as that, and at least comfortable too!
Reply Up