Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>The One Who Questions EVERYTHING
SilverSabre25 02:04 PM 10-14-2015
"Go put on your shoes!"
"Put on shoes? "
"Yes, put on your shoes. "
"Shoes on? "
"Yes"
"Shoes? Shoes on? Put shoes on? "

Everything I say. All day. Every day. She repeats as a question.

I have no idea how to help her knock it off. I've been trying "is that what I said? " and sometimes she says "yes" and sometimes she just stares at me.

She's 2, 3 in January, if that helps....
Rockgirl 02:08 PM 10-14-2015
I have one exactly like that! She just turned 3. I've started ignoring it. If she keeps repeating it, I say "You heard me." I think it's just a habit.
Thriftylady 02:21 PM 10-14-2015
Originally Posted by Rockgirl:
I have one exactly like that! She just turned 3. I've started ignoring it. If she keeps repeating it, I say "You heard me." I think it's just a habit.
I think it is a habit also. My DH will do similar. I will say something and he will say "what?", then he will start to answer me. Makes me bonkers.
Preschool/daycare teacher 03:03 PM 10-14-2015
I have one who does that exact same thing. She'll be four next month... And when she's not doing that, she's just repeating my last word. Me: "What color of crayon do you want?" Dcg: "Crayon". Me: "What's your favorite color?" dcg: "Color". Me: "Can you tell me which shape this is?" dcg: "Shape".
Ariana 10:10 AM 10-15-2015
Is this a form of echollalia? Is she using a sing song voice and just repeating what you last said? She may not be able to help it.
Miss A 12:56 PM 10-15-2015
I have 2 2.5 to girls that are doing that same thing. I always question them back with "what did miss A just say?". They usually repeat my previous statement, showing g me they understand.
DaveA 12:59 PM 10-15-2015
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
I think it is a habit also. My DH will do similar. I will say something and he will say "what?", then he will start to answer me. Makes me bonkers.
I do the same thing. I'm partially deaf in one ear (accidental discharge on a firing line) and often time it's a cover to stall in order to catch up processing what I heard. I work at not doing it but catch myself doing it a lot.
SilverSabre25 11:15 AM 10-16-2015
Originally Posted by Ariana:
Is this a form of echollalia? Is she using a sing song voice and just repeating what you last said? She may not be able to help it.
No, it doesn't feel out sound like echolalia. I thought of that. I think it's just habit.

I've thought it was hearing related (parents say she had some heating impairment, but doesn't anymore?) Anyway I haven't seen a clear sign of it and she hears fine... just questions it all.
Reply Up