Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Downsizing Your Daycare....
WImom 11:23 AM 02-27-2014
Anyone do this? I have 7 kids - 3 are problem children and disrupt all day. I'm thinking of terming two of them and putting one on probation. I think the one will straighten out if the other two are gone. I would also like to only have 4-5 kids instead of 7-8. I think for me it will be easier and I'll be less crabby by the end of the day. I have too many kids that don't have self help or any group skills and it's frustrating. They are all onlies and never in a group situation.

One of them is a newer client who isn't bad per say but he is super hyper and it's hard for me being the only one here. The other one I've had for over a year. He was on probation back in Oct. and shaped up for a while so he stayed. He is 4.5y old I'm just tired of his little games he plays. He seems to know what bothers each kid and then bugs them all day with what ever it is. He also tests my patience everyday.

Anyways - what kind of letter did you send home? Was it just a normal term letter or did you explain you were downsizing?
butterfly 11:30 AM 02-27-2014
I've never termed to down size. I have let a few age out and ran with smaller numbers until I've had a calmer crew to accept a few more into care.

butterfly 11:31 AM 02-27-2014
I'm the type of person that would probably state that I had made the decision to downsize. I think the parents would take it better than just being termed or if I told them their kids had behavior issues.
lilcupcakes09 11:36 AM 02-27-2014
I have not downsized by choice....I went from 8 to 4 when school started this year. 3 of those 4 were "problem" children. Not bad kids, they were just the rowdy,loud ones who made the normally quiet ones be disruptful too. After getting over the shock of my income being cut in half, it has really been nice. We have learned to work with what I am making now, but my nerves and mood are much better now. Which in turn makes my home life better also. You really dont realize how some kids get to you until they are gone!
WImom 11:40 AM 02-27-2014
Originally Posted by lilcupcakes09:
I have not downsized by choice....I went from 8 to 4 when school started this year. 3 of those 4 were "problem" children. Not bad kids, they were just the rowdy,loud ones who made the normally quiet ones be disruptful too. After getting over the shock of my income being cut in half, it has really been nice. We have learned to work with what I am making now, but my nerves and mood are much better now. Which in turn makes my home life better also. You really dont realize how some kids get to you until they are gone!
Yeah, I know the main one is gone this fall. The other one not sure since he just turned 3. I removed their tuition amounts from my budget for the next month to just see how it will be. I did look at the older kids school district and they do offer an all day camp during the summer for 4-6y olds. I was maybe thinking to even encourage the parents to sign him up and have him leave in June. Not sure how to nicely suggest that though.
melilley 11:43 AM 02-27-2014
I have not downsized, but I decided to have 3 full time (plus my ds, so really 4) and the other two spots are part time (I can have 6 altogether) and I sometimes take drop ins on my light days, and I like it this way. Mon and Fri I have all the kids and Thurs. I have all but one and on Tues. and Wed. I have 4 kids. I think the little break is nice. Plus financially, the two part timers' rates together equal to a little more than a full time child so it's like I have 4 full time spots full.
drseuss 11:52 AM 02-27-2014
I downsized once, right after our second child was born and our older one was just about three years old. I had a colicky baby in my daycare at the time, plus one preschool-aged boy who was a handful. My older child was having what I considered a nervous breakdown, especially because of the colicky baby. (Turned out later on that he has an ASD and has a very hard time with excess noise). What I did was have a frank talk with a couple of the parents, telling them that I was very sorry but I had to make this decision as it was best for my family. My stress level was just too high and so was our child's. I was on maternity leave for six or eight weeks, and they all had backup care for that time. This gave them enough time to find another program for their children. They were all understanding, though I did have one parent beg me.
Laurel 03:36 PM 02-27-2014
I did downsize but just didn't replace children with ones who aged out. I didn't have to actually 'cut' anyone.

Laurel
Tags:downsizing
Reply Up