Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>what would you do...
butterfly 10:46 AM 05-14-2015
If you didn't need to do daycare? If you had enough financial stability to not have to work?

There is a slight possibility that my husband's career will be changing before the end of the year. If he gets this job, I may not need to work. My kids are a bit older so it feels a bit selfish to just be a stay at home mom. But at the same time, with having this job, I've never gotten to take my kids to school, or meet them for lunch, or chaperone a field trip. I would really love to be able to just be present for my kids without the dcks or work distractions. This is all a dream at this point, but curious what your dreams are.
Blackcat31 10:50 AM 05-14-2015
Originally Posted by butterfly:
If you didn't need to do daycare? If you had enough financial stability to not have to work?

There is a slight possibility that my husband's career will be changing before the end of the year. If he gets this job, I may not need to work. My kids are a bit older so it feels a bit selfish to just be a stay at home mom. But at the same time, with having this job, I've never gotten to take my kids to school, or meet them for lunch, or chaperone a field trip. I would really love to be able to just be present for my kids without the dcks or work distractions. This is all a dream at this point, but curious what your dreams are.
Me? If I didn't have to work?

I'd be a career college student. I have several degrees/interests that I would love to pursue. I just haven't figured a way to do that yet.

I would definitely need to stay busy though. I would garden every day (I love my flower beds) I would volunteer somewhere. Probably a nursing home or some program that assists the elderly in maintaining active lives.

I would read. Every book in the library.

I have a millions things I would love to do if work and financial obligations didn't get in the way
spinnymarie 10:56 AM 05-14-2015
Have a preschool for underprivileged kids in the mornings during the school year
hope 10:59 AM 05-14-2015
Volunteer at hospitals, ronald mcdonald house, make a wish. Help raise money for cancer related charity.
Unregistered 10:59 AM 05-14-2015
I have been a stay at home mom for 5 years and all my kids are in school full time (since this last school year started). I don't need to work but I've worked since I could remember. Even though I have no spending limit when it comes to the money my husband makes to me theres nothing like bringing in my own income. Thats why I do this because it makes me feel good to have an income coming in, plus I like to have a back up plan. You never know what the future holds
jenboo 11:17 AM 05-14-2015
I would not work if I didn't have to. I would do some volunteer work, maybe start a fun business like selling things online at my own pace, start some hobbies...
I could easily fill my time.
daycarediva 11:29 AM 05-14-2015
I would run a very part time preschool/playschool. Like 9-12 M/W/F, or T-Th. I do LOVE my job (most days). I would probably continue to work in childcare in some capacity even if I was a multimillionaire.

I would go back to school. I LOVE higher education. Maybe not degrees, but multiple classes in different fields.

I would read. I love books.

I would workout much more. I truly love it and wish I could devote more time and energy to it. If I didn't work, I could/would easily be in the gym 2-3 hours a day and be training for fitness competitions.

I would spend a lot of time into creating the perfect home, I love interior decorating. Maybe buy an old turn of the century home (they are available here in spades) and restore it to its former glory.
AmyLeigh 11:35 AM 05-14-2015
Volunteer at spca and library, read, garden, crochet, exercise, craft, learn more crafts, host parties, diy home repairs or upgrades, organize my home, learn to cook different ethnic cuisines...give me a minute and I can come up with more, I'm sure.
LindseyA 12:17 PM 05-14-2015
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I would run a very part time preschool/playschool. Like 9-12 M/W/F, or T-Th. I do LOVE my job (most days). I would probably continue to work in childcare in some capacity even if I was a multimillionaire.

I would go back to school. I LOVE higher education. Maybe not degrees, but multiple classes in different fields.

I would read. I love books.

I would workout much more. I truly love it and wish I could devote more time and energy to it. If I didn't work, I could/would easily be in the gym 2-3 hours a day and be training for fitness competitions.

I would spend a lot of time into creating the perfect home, I love interior decorating. Maybe buy an old turn of the century home (they are available here in spades) and restore it to its former glory.
Buying a creepy old house and restoring it as close to original, as possible would be my dream too! I have always loved and appreciated old homes and the history of it. I am totally a Nicole Curtis wannabe lol!
daycare 12:39 PM 05-14-2015
travel the world as a vagabond....lol
AmyKidsCo 01:00 PM 05-14-2015
Personally, if I didn't have to work I'd be a modern June Cleaver! And I'd volunteer at my children's schools, get back into sewing/crafting, and be MUCH more relaxed.
NorthernMNgal 01:12 PM 05-14-2015
If I didn't need the money I would not be doing daycare! I would just be a stay at home mom and then when my kids go to school I would find a part time job in the social services field (what I went to school for). I so wish that were the case! I would love to just be Mommy right now and be able to leave the house!
childcaremom 02:04 PM 05-14-2015
If my income was not needed and money was not a hurdle....

I would go back to school. Physiotherapy and massage therapy. Then yoga therapy.

I would teach yoga. I wouldn't even charge.

I would take more yoga classes with my favourite teacher (they are like mini workshops, I learn so much from him). I would be able to volunteer in the yoga clinic again.

I would turn what is currently the daycare area into part yoga studio and part craft workshop.

I would read and craft and do yoga.
spud912 02:13 PM 05-14-2015
If BOTH dh and I were not in need of money, I would pull the kids from school for a year and start homeschooling them. Then we would get an RV and travel across the United States, stopping at all the places we would be learning about.
nanglgrl 02:30 PM 05-14-2015
I would finally get all of my children's photographs (22 years worth) into awesome albums, and make videos from combining all of our home videos, sew and maybe design and make a few outfits for my daughter, travel as much as possible, volunteer at my kids schools more, I would definitely be able to get back in shape and work out on a regular basis, I would build stuff...I love working with my hands (sewing, building are the same to me). I would take more classes to finish my BA and ECE, and maybe some on photography, maybe volunteer as a big sister, host parties, read a lot more, try out for some local plays, what wouldn't I do is the real question and the answer would be have any children in my house that I was getting paid to keep. Sleepovers? Fine. Play dates? Fine. Watch my kid for a few hours so I can go shopping. Psh.
Leigh 02:59 PM 05-14-2015
I'd spend every day with my own kids exploring the world around us. People envy me because I "get to be home with them", but really, they don't get much special when other kids are around. I wish I could just be with them!
Josiegirl 03:07 PM 05-14-2015
Pack up and travel. I never really wanted to travel much while my kids were growing up. Plus we really didn't have tons of money. But now? Of course, if I didn't have to work for a living, I'd just get in the car with my 2 dogs and go. (ok, maybe I'd buy a bigger car first but hey if I'm going to dream, I need to do it my way).
I'd walk more. Garden more. Read more. Be outside more. Go to bed later and sleep in later. I'd take all the stupid child-proof locks off everything. And get rid of all the daycare stuff asap.
Onawhim 03:49 PM 05-14-2015
If I didn't have to work I wouldn't. I would totally be the perfect house wife and pta mom! Oh to dream haha
AmyLeigh 05:12 PM 05-14-2015
Originally Posted by childcaremom:
If my income was not needed and money was not a hurdle....

I would go back to school. Physiotherapy and massage therapy. Then yoga therapy.

I would teach yoga. I wouldn't even charge.

I would take more yoga classes with my favourite teacher (they are like mini workshops, I learn so much from him). I would be able to volunteer in the yoga clinic again.

I would turn what is currently the daycare area into part yoga studio and part craft workshop.

I would read and craft and do yoga.
So, I'm guessing you kinda like yoga.
Sunchimes 06:43 PM 05-14-2015
Oh, that dream. I would reopen my Etsy shop, travel, write, work on my house (it's ca. 1880, and there is always a to-do list) and garden/can/make jelly. First though, I would get back into BookCrossing. I miss it so very much, but it's hard to be a BookCrosser if you rarely leave the house.
LindseyA 07:16 PM 05-14-2015
Originally Posted by Sunchimes:
Oh, that dream. I would reopen my Etsy shop, travel, write, work on my house (it's ca. 1880, and there is always a to-do list) and garden/can/make jelly. First though, I would get back into BookCrossing. I miss it so very much, but it's hard to be a BookCrosser if you rarely leave the house.
Okay, I hope I'm not the only one who had to Google BookCrosser! Very cool concept!
Sunchimes 07:25 PM 05-14-2015
I've been doing it since 2002, but had to slow way down after I started daycare.
Josiegirl 02:14 AM 05-15-2015
Ok, guess I'm going to have to google it too. Since you didn't share what you found out.
childcaremom 02:23 AM 05-15-2015
Originally Posted by AmyLeigh:
So, I'm guessing you kinda like yoga.
Ha ha. Yes. I miss having time to do it.
childcaremom 02:25 AM 05-15-2015
Originally Posted by Sunchimes:
My mom did something similar to this. It is so neat. She discovered a great bunch of books this way.

I may sign up for this, too
DaveA 04:15 AM 05-15-2015
I would set up a little "urban homestead" around the 1/3 acre my shop is on, complete with an aquaponic greenhouse. Spend my days making knives in my shop, travel with my wife and kids to her races, and maybe help with the restoration of a 1830s stage stop/ abandoned settlement a little ways away being slowly restored as a living history setting.
Bookworm 10:22 AM 05-15-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Me? If I didn't have to work?

I'd be a career college student. I have several degrees/interests that I would love to pursue. I just haven't figured a way to do that yet.

I would definitely need to stay busy though. I would garden every day (I love my flower beds) I would volunteer somewhere. Probably a nursing home or some program that assists the elderly in maintaining active lives.

I would read. Every book in the library.

I have a millions things I would love to do if work and financial obligations didn't get in the way
Same here. I would have so many degrees there'd be no place to hang them. I would also volunteer at the library.
Reply Up