Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Favorite Activities of Your DCKs
Josiegirl 03:58 PM 10-24-2015
Of all the things you wonderful providers do with and for your dcks, what do they seem to love doing the most?

I need to change up my choice of activity offerings but not sure what to change. Right now, their favorite things are the arts and crafts we've been doing for Halloween. Between that and playing outside(and potty training/changing diapers) that seems to be pretty much the bulk of our days. Oh and they're all loving baby dolls.
nothingwithoutjoy 04:43 PM 10-24-2015
I'd build on that. Offer lots and lots of art supplies. Add to the dolls: maybe they'd like to dress them? bathe them? make them playdough food? doctor them? Spend ages outside. Sounds like a good, rich day.
Maggie 05:02 PM 10-24-2015
Right now I have 2 and 3 year olds so their favorite activity changes pretty often. Last week we made a new batch of kool aid
Play doh (orange for Halloween) and they have asked to play with it every day. Normally when we use play doh we take out the usual cookie cutters, rolling pins and plastic knives, but this week I gave them some dried pasta (ziti), a few sea shells and some beads. They loved it and it kept them busy for almost an hour each time I took it out. Lots of clean up but it was worth it.
Thriftylady 08:30 PM 10-24-2015
My only two kiddos right now are 6 and 7, but I swear all they want is for me to read to them.
Unregistered 09:46 PM 10-24-2015
Favorite activity .um does talking my ear off for hours count
childcaremom 02:06 AM 10-25-2015
Playdough - with added accessories. We are making orange, green and white playdough and I'm adding in little items so we can make ghosts, goblins and pumpkins. My group can sit for an hour easily with playdough. They love it. And they ask for it every day.

Blocks. Lego. Throw in some cars and they are set for free play.

Magna tiles. Played with every single day.

Being outside. Hands down favourite thing to do is to be outside.
Blackcat31 07:00 AM 10-25-2015
Blocks. Blocks, blocks and more blocks!!

Blocks are THE best investment ever!

They occupy my kids solo or in a group (both large and small)
They are great for transition
They pick up easily, even for the really young kids
They meet the needs of all age groups in many different areas

I have a LARGE collection of blocks:

My kids love art too (I am 90% open/free art....I don't do many crafts) and being outside but blocks (all types) are hands down the most played with and fought over toy/activity for ALL ages.
Febby 09:12 AM 10-25-2015
Mine also love blocks. Lately they've been using them to build garages and tunnels for the toy cars.

The play kitchen is huge with my girls. We have both plastic play food and "real" food (aka empty food boxes taped shut).

They also like potatoes heads, puzzles, and reading books.
Josiegirl 10:17 AM 10-25-2015
For some reason my group hardly plays with my nice set of wooden blocks. They will use the tree blocks, magnetic blocks, Wedgit blocks. I finally had to put my cardboard blocks away cause a couple of the dcgs like to take them apart instead of playing with them. I need to offer different things with the blocks, it has all become too routine lately.

Same with playdoh. Pasta, beads and shells are all good ideas.

The babies do get lots of TLC, we have picnics and such with them.

I'm kind of wondering if my dcgs actually know how to play without my help. If I don't set something up to get them started, they'll either just grab the dolls and sit on the couch and walk back and forth through the house. Or fight. I've got 13 dolls and they still need to fight over what another dcg has. You all know the toddler creed, well they're prime examples.....'if I had it this morning it's mine'

Thanks!
Baby Beluga 10:43 AM 10-25-2015
Mine have been into movement activities lately. I have a very very very active group though

Lately we have done a lot of freeze dance (they ask for it every chance they get!) and parachute play.

For the freeze dance I mix it up. This last week we played "pumpkin shape freeze dance" where I taped paper pumpkins each with a different shape on them to the floor. We then danced to Halloween music, when I tuned the music off everyone ran and stood on a pumpkin and called out their shape. Rinse and repeat.

For the parachute, they just like to shake it. Especially if I add something to the middle like play spiders.

Their favorite toy hands down though are the pipe builders. They LOVE those.

http://www.lakeshorelearning.com/pro...=1445794989196
Unregistered 01:32 PM 10-25-2015
Yes, kool-aid playdoh

Painting with dryy kool-aid sprinkled on paper and then paint with water.

Pushing grocery carts around

Blocks and dollar store people-construction workers and fire fighters. There not as easy to find any more. They are like those little army men.

Stampers and washable ink

Helping me bake

Sitting at the flannel board and putting those pre-printed figures on...I have fruit/veggies, Three Bears, house, furniture, people, etc.

Drawing at the wal-sized chalkboard

Oatmeal table that has fall/Halloween items in it. They love peeling the kernels off of fall corn.
Unregistered 01:33 PM 10-25-2015
Oh, and Duplo sets like farm, hospital, playground, etc
Pepperth 04:50 PM 10-25-2015
Right now...raking and jumping in leaves. Every day. Every time we go outside. If we are inside, they love sensory play or playing with figurines. I recently found an exercise video for kids on You Tube that saved my sanity on a rainy day last week.
midaycare 06:07 PM 10-25-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Blocks. Blocks, blocks and more blocks!!

Blocks are THE best investment ever!

They occupy my kids solo or in a group (both large and small)
They are great for transition
They pick up easily, even for the really young kids
They meet the needs of all age groups in many different areas

I have a LARGE collection of blocks:
  • wood blocks
  • Lego blocks (small, Duplo and giant sized)
  • waffle blocks (regular and giant)
  • bristle blocks
  • cubes
  • clear see-through blocks
  • rubber/chewy blocks
  • cardboard brick blocks
  • foam blocks

My kids love art too (I am 90% open/free art....I don't do many crafts) and being outside but blocks (all types) are hands down the most played with and fought over toy/activity for ALL ages.
Ugh, I wish my dck's liked blocks. I have almost all the types listed above. Mine want crafts, both free art and directed, books, puzzles, baby dolls, musical instruments, and "people". I don't know what the people are called ... They are kind of a mix of both professional dolls and people around the world. Kind of like Barbie, but you can't move their limbs or dress them.
Hunni Bee 06:22 PM 10-25-2015
Blocks, plastic manipulatives, art, play money, kitchen.

Thursday I put out a tray of pony beads and pipe cleaners to make bracelets, you would have thought I brought them a tray of diamonds and gold. They were SO happy, several parents had to wait
bklsmum 09:08 PM 10-25-2015
Play kitchen and legos. ALWAYS played with!
DaveA 03:46 AM 10-26-2015
Blocks, train tracks, and playdough are big at the moment with my bunch
MsLisa 06:46 AM 10-26-2015
Tattling on each other, yelling like lunatics, being up my butt......
Oh wait...GOOD activities they do...lol

I have more girls then boys so art is highly favoured, which is my personal talent so i'm thrilled. But it has to be tangible, physical take home things not just painting or cut/paste. Jewellery making was a huge hit and they can't wait to do it again. We just made spider webs from glue and glitter, which turned out pretty cool although messy. They go through coloring sheets & water color paint like nobody's business.

Playdoh & matching games are mostly popular with kindergartners & 1st grade.
Littlest pet shops are always played with by my 3rd grade girls.
Gym & Wii time are popular with ALL the boys, naturally. (Beyblades too)
The 4+ graders tend to read quietly or be up my butt talking my ear off.

A new trend has started where the kids are bringing in phones and ipods and vegging out in the reading area. I remind the parents that it's not my problem if its lost or broken while here and they don't seem to care. I personally hate the electronic dependencies.... but it keeps them calm and happy so....
Stephnrich 08:32 PM 10-28-2015
Currently my groups favorite activities are "paper dolls" (magazine cut outs of people and dolls glued onto card stock), our big bag full of scarves and gloves, and dress up items. The bag of scarves and gloves have always been a hit - they love to tie them as capes, pretend to nap on them, have picnics on them, play doctor, dance...
Tags:activites
Reply Up