Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Only One of the Age-Old Questions :)
Josiegirl 02:52 AM 02-17-2016
Next week I'll have 4 SA kids due to winter break.
PLEASE can you share any/all ideas to keep them busy and not fight the whole week??
I've already told the dcms I need help in finding things for them to do. One said she'd try pinterest, as will I. But what I need are some spur of the moment things while I'm busy diapering, pottying, preparing meals, cleaning up, etc. In the past whenever I present ideas all I get is no, don't wanna do that. Then they all sit on the couch looking bored and complaining that they can't use their ipods, etc.
I tell them to bring books and sometimes they do but they end up not reading them. They are all 7-9 yo. One dcb and 3 dcgs.
Thank you!!!
Play Care 03:59 AM 02-17-2016
We have winter break this week.

The kids can be outside without me, so I send them out with "jobs" filling the bird feeders, picking up toys, shoveling, etc. They like to do this stuff and having a purpose means less nonsense

I allow them to do arts and crafts, but they need to clean up after. They get access to the supplies that the younger kids do not get. Working on projects and having to clean up takes time.

For SA, I do allow electronics for use during nap time only. I hold on to all ipods, ipads, etc. Anyone who asks to use their device outside of nap time loses the privilege of using it at nap.
I also borrow DVD's from the library and we have popcorn and movie. Normally I am screen free for my DC which is mostly 5 and under. This is a special treat for my SA kids and they look forward to it. My line is "kids who don't behave and are quiet take naps" and I mean it.

I don't allow the kids to tell me "no" or "I'm bored" or generally be rude. This would mean a TO or even having to lay down with the littles at nap. Lay down that law on Day 1.

Good luck!
MsLisa 04:58 AM 02-17-2016
I'm with Play Care on this one.

Looking back at my SA kids....
Arts & crafts are always good, especially if its something other then colouring sheets. Like jewellery making, popsicle stick stuff, and even just nice paint. Don't feel like it needs to have an objective either, they often like going on their own tangents and making their own weird crafts, if you give them the tools to do so.
Playdough is always a good classic. Give them stuff to play restaurant, be teachers or play family. They still have good imaginations no matter how old and tough they look. lol.

Like Playcare said, give them a little electronic time. As much as I hate the dependency of it, it's their culture. Movies and popcorn are always good when its time to wind down.

(I can PM you my pinterest name if you want ideas. Its literally all SA crafts and ideas i've pinned and done in my 2yrs with SA kids.)
Cat Herder 05:04 AM 02-17-2016
*Air dry clay and paints.
*Making their own pizza, burritos, chef salads, etc. each day.
*Let them bring G movies from home to share, each on a different day.

**Also, since it is a school break and they are stuck in daycare against their will, I always let them have their electronics.**

Zipping up the flame suit. I always felt bad for the school agers who had to spend their school breaks in daycare with toddlers/infants. The dates are posted on the school website a year in advance. Unless actual financial crisis, I think most parents could plan something fun for them at that time.

The Y has some awesome computer, craft, karate, sports camps. Churches and local Colleges offer great programs. Some libraries, too. It does take some effort to find them, but it can be done.

Just my opinion, though.
Play Care 05:29 AM 02-17-2016
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:

**Also, since it is a school break and they are stuck in daycare against their will, I always let them have their electronics.**

Zipping up the flame suit. I always felt bad for the school agers who had to spend their school breaks in daycare with toddlers/infants. The dates are posted on the school website a year in advance. Unless actual financial crisis, I think most parents could plan something fun for them at that time.

The Y has some awesome computer, craft, karate, sports camps. Churches and local Colleges offer great programs. Some libraries, too. It does take some effort to find them, but it can be done.

Just my opinion, though.

This is one of the reasons I tend to be looser with my SA kids (provided they can handle it)
As much as I tell parents I'm NOT an SA provider and other options should be explored, I know it's a convenience factor for many. And as much as I'd like to say "no" sometimes because I feel bad for the SA kids, I do feel part of the biz is to supply the demand.
childcaremom 09:05 AM 02-17-2016
I would focus on outdoor time as much as possible. Wear. them. out.

Do you still have snow?

I have filled up spray bottles with water + food colouring and squeeze bottles with watered down paint. Set them loose in the backyard and they were happy for 3+ hours. I also gave them some baby carrots and they made a snowman patch in the garden, painted them, and added noses.

Building forts. Snowman building contest: tallest, widest, smallest, etc

Snow sculptures. Add some of the paint to finish it off.

Crafty stuff: but with older age supplies. Sharpies, glitter, oil pastels, watercolours, etc.

Have you done borax crystals before? My girls love doing that. Any type of sciency stuff: making gak, goop, etc

Baking/cooking. Leaving yourself in a supervisory position.

Read aloud chapter books. Mine love Harry Potter.

Card games. Board games..

Good luck! I only have my own over break.
Josiegirl 09:28 AM 02-17-2016
Thanks everybody!

Yesterday we had some great snow, then it rained the rest of the day and now we have ice. Haven't done the borax crystals in a long time so will put that on my list. Science experiments are always a great idea! And the baking/cooking. I'll have to dig out all my board games and cards. Those are things we do together when they're here.

And yes MsLisa, I'd love your Pinterest ideas if you don't mind sharing.

I do allow the dcks to use their electronics during nap time but they come in like zombies with their eyes glued to them and would prefer to use them all day.

Keep 'em coming, I'm sure I'm not the only one who could use ideas for the older kids this time of year.
Ariana 09:40 AM 02-17-2016
Keep telling them to go play over and over and over until they eventually do it. A child has absolutely zero reason to be bored except that an adult is enabling brain atrophy by providing too much stimulation (I don't mean you but usually parents). They will whine and moean for about an hour and then they will go and play. I literally do nothing with SA kids! I provide materials and they come up with their own art stuff. I might let them watch a movie but that's about it!
Unregistered 10:12 AM 02-17-2016
Rainbow loom, origami (maybe you can get a library book about how to do lots of basic ones), my eight year old son enjoys making up plays and preforming it for everyone- maybe you can facilitate it if they don't know what to do for that- like have basic dress ups (hats, ears, tails or mask making supplies)..
auntymimi 10:38 AM 02-17-2016
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:

The Y has some awesome computer, craft, karate, sports camps. Churches and local Colleges offer great programs. Some libraries, too. like this It does take some effort to find them, but it can be done

Just my opinion, though.
I also allow tablets ect. (though no internet access) for my bigger kids 9 and up for snow days, school breaks. My younger older kids 5,6,7 usually do just fine playing store, babies, making forts. I put on a disney movie for nap when the little kids go down. We watched Inside Out yesterday at nap (great movie!). I just don't have the energy or the supplies to have a 16 month old, just turned 2 yo, 2.5 yo, 4 yo, 6 yo, 9 yo, and 10 yo screen free for 10 hours a day in the winter.
rosieteddy 08:51 AM 02-19-2016
Some of the older Disney movies this generation hasn't seen.My grandsons came for vacation weeks and we did movie days twice.The 3&4 yr olds loved the old movies. I would also suggest playing restaurant,school and putting on plays as fun.The little kids usually like any attention from the big kids. I also would throw them out to play ,jobs outside is a great idea.It is tough for kids today they really have little down time without technology. Good luck.
Play Care 09:53 AM 02-19-2016
It's Friday, I made it!!!!

The kids were really good. I'm also fortunate that my families pick up earlier than most dck. By 4 I was closed
Reply Up