Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Harder to Get Going Every Morning
Josiegirl 02:29 AM 02-19-2016
It's not the job. My dcks are pretty good(mostly ), my parents are extraordinary. I know it's just the continued cold, darkness, closed in feeling. I try to get the dcks out 2x a day but still feel so isolated and the whole world is dreary. Does this time of year do it to you too?
The ice, cold, short days(I know they're getting longer but not fast enough!!), can't even blame snow this year because we haven't gotten that much.
Here it is Friday and I should be swinging from the fan deliriously happy about it. But for some reason, just cannot muster up any enthusiasm. Anyone else in the same emotional boat?
And I know all the right things I should be doing to make it all better. But what do I do? Eat ice cream. Yeh that helps.
Play Care 03:39 AM 02-19-2016
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
It's not the job. My dcks are pretty good(mostly ), my parents are extraordinary. I know it's just the continued cold, darkness, closed in feeling. I try to get the dcks out 2x a day but still feel so isolated and the whole world is dreary. Does this time of year do it to you too?
The ice, cold, short days(I know they're getting longer but not fast enough!!), can't even blame snow this year because we haven't gotten that much.
Here it is Friday and I should be swinging from the fan deliriously happy about it. But for some reason, just cannot muster up any enthusiasm. Anyone else in the same emotional boat?
And I know all the right things I should be doing to make it all better. But what do I do? Eat ice cream. Yeh that helps.
Last night at bedtime I told my husband I was already looking forward to tonight's bedtime.
I haven't been working out, eating well, etc. because I have 0 motivation. And like you, everything else is fine.
I've been trying to remember to take my vitamins as well as my vitamin D. But honestly I think I just need a vacation to somewhere tropical
childcaremom 03:43 AM 02-19-2016
I have felt like this, as well. And making crappy food choices and vegging on the couch.

The last 2 days we have had sunshine. Sunshine where you can feel the warmth. We spent almost 2 hours each morning out and I noticed a difference immediately in my mood.

Bring on the spring!
DaveA 03:49 AM 02-19-2016
Yes. Can't go outside with the kids (DCK & my own) as much, can't "just run out to" my shop without bundling up, and my treasured alone/ quiet time first thing is the morning is pitch black outside. So ready for spring to get here asap.
mamamanda 05:35 AM 02-19-2016
I get this way every winter. I find that a vitamin d supplement helps a little. Take heart. Spring is coming!!! Just not as fast as we'd like
Baby Beluga 05:51 AM 02-19-2016
Yes, I am in the same boat.

I am exercising, eating well, sleeping well and yet have ZERO motivation. It's even sunny here and my AC has been on. I think mine comes from just feeling burnt out. The same old thing every single day. By myself with zero help. It's enough to make a person go mad. In fact, I recently had a bunch of dental work done and had weekly appointments at the dentist. The children would be picked up, I would leave DD home with DH, grab dinner and eat while driving to the dentist. Then while at the dentist I got to sit for at least and hour and do nothing but listen (and sometimes talk) to my dentist and her assistant. They were great, comical ladies and I enjoyed the break from having to "do." I was washing the children's lunch dishes yesterday and actually thought to myself "I wonder if I can have any other dental work done so I can get a break..."
Laurel 06:01 AM 02-19-2016
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:

I am exercising, eating well, sleeping well and yet have ZERO motivation. It's even sunny here and my AC has been on. I think mine comes from just feeling burnt out. The same old thing every single day. By myself with zero help. It's enough to make a person go mad. In fact, I recently had a bunch of dental work done and had weekly appointments at the dentist. The children would be picked up, I would leave DD home with DH, grab dinner and eat while driving to the dentist. Then while at the dentist I got to sit for at least and hour and do nothing but listen (and sometimes talk) to my dentist and her assistant. They were great, comical ladies and I enjoyed the break from having to "do." I was washing the children's lunch dishes yesterday and actually thought to myself "I wonder if I can have any other dental work done so I can get a break..."

Miss A 06:04 AM 02-19-2016
I hear ya! Winter is always brutal on me mentally. I love being outside, and winter is hard to do that with infants. I feel like I have been in a moody haze for the past few months, not looking forward to anything but spring, which was seemingly so far away. But, we have had a change in the weather here, and while we are under a wind advisory today the temperature is still supposed to be 55, the snow is melting, and birds were singing this morning when I woke up. It's the little things that are bringing a smile to my face today.
Play Care 06:09 AM 02-19-2016
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:

That is awesome!

But yes, for me it's not weather so much as the constant cleaning, cooking, etc. It feels never ending. And this week when I have my own kids and DH home, it's even worse because as soon as I clean up from the dc meal, they decide they are hungry. And while they do somewhat clean up after themselves, it's just that I don't have any time where the kitchen is CLEAN and QUIET
MsLisa 06:18 AM 02-19-2016
I'm right there with you.
Its too cold to bother taking the dog for a walk, let alone do anything outside. I literally CRAVE going to the parks again and warmth. Even though I have no job/kids at the moment, I’m feeling cooped up, fidgety and anxious a lot when I should be enjoying this little break. But I ran out of things to clean/organize.....Spring can't come fast enough!!
Blackcat31 06:19 AM 02-19-2016
Sounds like SAD. Apparently it's common, especially for those living in areas where snow/sunshine impact daily life activities.

Here is the link to the Mayo clinic where they explain it well. Pay close attention to the different symptoms for SAD and Major Depression so you can seek help if your symptoms appear to be a sign of something deeper.

"In most cases, seasonal affective disorder symptoms appear during late fall or early winter and go away during the sunnier days of spring and summer. However, some people with the opposite pattern have symptoms that begin in spring or summer. In either case, symptoms may start out mild and become more severe as the season progresses."

Major depression

Seasonal affective disorder is a subtype of major depression that comes and goes based on seasons. So symptoms of major depression may be part of SAD, such as:

Symptoms specific to winter-onset SAD, sometimes called winter depression, may include:

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-c...n/con-20021047
Controlled Chaos 07:52 AM 02-19-2016
Get your thyroid checked! I thought I was just getting older and lazy and a touch of the winter blues. Turns out my thyroid was way off! I had gained wait, lost interest in things that made me happy, soooo tired allllllll the time. A very small amount of levnothyroxine once a day and BAM 3 months later I feel like me again. It took so long, because I was taking a multivitamin at the same time as the pill...turns out they need to be 6 hours apart oops. But once I got all that sorted I felt much better within 4 weeks. Seriously consider getting blood test. Hypothyroidism is SUPER common in women over 30.
MunchkinWrangler 08:07 AM 02-19-2016
Same here, I have some personal things going on and I feel like my plate is too full. I have no motivation to do things for myself because I'm so drained at the end of the day. I am becoming a little resentful. I know things will 'brighten up' once spring starts setting in more and I've made a point to take off some days so I can spend time with my son and family. I hope you start feeling better soon, I think it's just that time of year.
NillaWafers 09:27 AM 02-19-2016
I was gonna say the same as BlackCat, it sounds like SAD. We don't deal with that in CA, but I hear that UV lights and stuff like that can help.
MarinaVanessa 10:19 AM 02-19-2016
IDK if it's SAD or not but when I got blue I started planning field trips with other providers to parks and their homes.

There was a provider friend that had a HUGE yard and would invite like 6-8 of us providers over to her house every other week for picnic lunch potlucks and play-dates and would hold preschool activities twice a week at her house (one other provider each day, alternated since we all wanted to go but she didn't want so many of us over everyday so she limited the days she wanted "guests" and gave us each a "turn" ). It was great for me to have scheduled events like this with another adult to talk to that was in the business.

If you can't be outside as much because of winter weather maybe just finding another provider that you can visit and that can come over and visit you too.
Play Care 05:25 PM 02-19-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Sounds like SAD. Apparently it's common, especially for those living in areas where snow/sunshine impact daily life activities.

Here is the link to the Mayo clinic where they explain it well. Pay close attention to the different symptoms for SAD and Major Depression so you can seek help if your symptoms appear to be a sign of something deeper.

"In most cases, seasonal affective disorder symptoms appear during late fall or early winter and go away during the sunnier days of spring and summer. However, some people with the opposite pattern have symptoms that begin in spring or summer. In either case, symptoms may start out mild and become more severe as the season progresses."

Major depression

Seasonal affective disorder is a subtype of major depression that comes and goes based on seasons. So symptoms of major depression may be part of SAD, such as:
  • Feeling depressed most of the day, nearly every day
  • Feeling hopeless or worthless
  • Having low energy
  • Losing interest in activities you once enjoyed
  • Having problems with sleeping
  • Experiencing changes in your appetite or weight
  • Feeling sluggish or agitated
  • Having difficulty concentrating
  • Having frequent thoughts of death or suicide
  • Fall and winter SAD

Symptoms specific to winter-onset SAD, sometimes called winter depression, may include:
  • Irritability
  • Tiredness or low energy
  • Problems getting along with other people
  • Hypersensitivity to rejection
  • Heavy, "leaden" feeling in the arms or legs
  • Oversleeping
  • Appetite changes, especially a craving for foods high in carbohydrates
  • Weight gain

This does sound a lot like what I've been feeling.

Initially SAD did cross my mind, but I dismissed it because we've had such a mild winter, we've been able to get out, etc. and otherwise things are great- kids, hubby, work, etc. so I couldn't understand why I was feeling the way I do. I was starting to feel like a brat
Unregistered 06:56 PM 02-19-2016
If your licensing allows this. Here we cannot gather at another provider's house or she/he will be out of ratio, no matter that another provider is there. All children at any house have to fit in that provider's license.
You can gather at parks, libraries, etc. though.

Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
IDK if it's SAD or not but when I got blue I started planning field trips with other providers to parks and their homes.

There was a provider friend that had a HUGE yard and would invite like 6-8 of us providers over to her house every other week for picnic lunch potlucks and play-dates and would hold preschool activities twice a week at her house (one other provider each day, alternated since we all wanted to go but she didn't want so many of us over everyday so she limited the days she wanted "guests" and gave us each a "turn" ). It was great for me to have scheduled events like this with another adult to talk to that was in the business.

If you can't be outside as much because of winter weather maybe just finding another provider that you can visit and that can come over and visit you too.

Thriftylady 09:25 PM 02-19-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

Major depression

• Feeling depressed most of the day, nearly every day
  • Feeling hopeless or worthless
  • Having low energy
  • Losing interest in activities you once enjoyed
  • Having problems with sleeping
  • Experiencing changes in your appetite or weight
  • Feeling sluggish or agitated
  • Having difficulty concentrating
  • Having frequent thoughts of death or suicide
  • Fall and winter SAD

• Irritability
  • Tiredness or low energy
  • Problems getting along with other people
  • Hypersensitivity to rejection
  • Heavy, "leaden" feeling in the arms or legs
  • Oversleeping
  • Appetite changes, especially a craving for foods high in carbohydrates
  • Weight gain

SAD was the first thing I thought of. IF it lingers beyond what would be reasonable for that, see your doctor. I have Major Depressive Disorder. My meds make my life livable! I still don't like to get out of bed in the morning, but that is because I never have, I am not a morning person at all.
Josiegirl 04:53 AM 02-20-2016
Thanks BC for the info. I do deal with depression and anxiety so am on meds. for that. I don't know. Some days it feels like it wouldn't take much to pick up the phone and take a mental day ya know? I'm sure it's not any worse than many people feel this time of year. I also think there is a 3 letter word that describes a lot of the why I feel this way. R U T
And I can't seem to find the energy or inspiration to make any changes.

This too shall pass.
Magic 06:27 AM 02-20-2016
OH yes ..every year
the older I get the harder it feels
sad, winter blues, the funk
best part was knowing what it was and knowing I will come out of it
and I did about 2 weeks ago
SAD is common where I live
lots vits double D's and a light over the sink for those really dreay days
BC's post lots of good ideas
Play Care 06:31 AM 02-20-2016
Thanks BC for the info. I do deal with depression and anxiety so am on meds. for that. I don't know. Some days it feels like it wouldn't take much to pick up the phone and take a mental day ya know? I'm sure it's not any worse than many people feel this time of year. I also think there is a 3 letter word that describes a lot of the why I feel this way. R U T
And I can't seem to find the energy or inspiration to make any changes.

This too shall pass.
Do you have any time off? Can you pick a day in the next few weeks to take off? Sometimes just doing that makes a huge difference in my mental health
lovemydaycare0912 07:51 AM 02-20-2016
Originally Posted by Play Care:
Do you have any time off? Can you pick a day in the next few weeks to take off? Sometimes just doing that makes a huge difference in my mental health
That is exactly what I plan on doing 2nd weekend in April. I need at least 1 day off asap.
Pepperth 04:39 AM 02-21-2016
I've been feeling down lately too. I know when I can get outside with the kids for an extended period of time, it really helps. For me, I've been fighting this cold/bronchitis thing for a few weeks, which has left me exhausted everyday. Its much better, but the weather isn't helping either. Last week, I planned a "beach day" with the kids. We all wore summer clothes in the house, and ate hot dogs on beach blankets. We played in sand inside. It really helped just wearing shorts, lol. My suggestion is to plan a special day to look forward to. (Either with or without the daycare.)
Josiegirl 05:20 AM 02-21-2016
Pepperth et al, I hope everyone who deals with the winter schlumps starts to feel uplifted again soon!
With the SA coming this week, I've been cruising on pinterest(and thanks to MsLisa for getting me started with that!) and writing down some ideas, that's been helpful in getting some inspiration. And if they find my ideas 'booorrrring' they're welcome to pick a stick out of my jar of 'things to do when you're booorrreed' Lol So just maybe I'll get my book shelves dusted and organized this week, some of my door ways cleaned up(baby wipe idea from someone on here thank you!) and lots of other chores caught up.

I was outside a lot yesterday shoveling and helped my neighbor out, which always leaves a good feeling. I should do that more often. Plus I skyped with my dd and bf, talked with my sister too. So it all helped. It's too easy to shut myself off from everything and everyone. It then becomes a vicious cycle that's hard to break. Reaching out is difficult but it's usually what helps.
Thanks everyone and have a HAPPY DAY!
Thriftylady 02:20 PM 02-21-2016
Pepperth et al, I hope everyone who deals with the winter schlumps starts to feel uplifted again soon!
With the SA coming this week, I've been cruising on pinterest(and thanks to MsLisa for getting me started with that!) and writing down some ideas, that's been helpful in getting some inspiration. And if they find my ideas 'booorrrring' they're welcome to pick a stick out of my jar of 'things to do when you're booorrreed' Lol So just maybe I'll get my book shelves dusted and organized this week, some of my door ways cleaned up(baby wipe idea from someone on here thank you!) and lots of other chores caught up.

I was outside a lot yesterday shoveling and helped my neighbor out, which always leaves a good feeling. I should do that more often. Plus I skyped with my dd and bf, talked with my sister too. So it all helped. It's too easy to shut myself off from everything and everyone. It then becomes a vicious cycle that's hard to break. Reaching out is difficult but it's usually what helps.
Thanks everyone and have a HAPPY DAY!
I do the same thing. I think it is the depression, it makes you want to be alone, and that is the last thing we need! Sometimes things like going to church are so hard to just get up, get dressed and go. But then when I do go, I feel so much better later!
Josiegirl 03:27 PM 02-21-2016
Haha I do have time off. I am closing at 2:45 on Tuesday so I can sit an hour and a half in the dentist's chair and pay him 1100 bucks. Eek. But he has great music! Didn't someone from here say they looked forward to simply going to the dentist as an escape? Now it's my turn. It'd just be lots nicer if it didn't cost so darn much.
Annalee 06:15 PM 02-21-2016
Haha I do have time off. I am closing at 2:45 on Tuesday so I can sit an hour and a half in the dentist's chair and pay him 1100 bucks. Eek. But he has great music! Didn't someone from here say they looked forward to simply going to the dentist as an escape? Now it's my turn. It'd just be lots nicer if it didn't cost so darn much.
I literally can go to sleep while having my teeth cleaned...that tells you how relaxed I get when away from daycare some days.
Tags:depressed, over it, tiredness, winter sucks
Reply Up