Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I don't get it...
Preschool/daycare teacher 07:35 PM 09-15-2015
I'll have a family who seems really interested in bringing their child to me. Multiple messages with lots of questions from them, I answer and they seem happy with my answers and request a day and time time to meet. They seem really enthusiastic as if they're ready to enroll as long as my place satisfies them. I don't want to waste their time or mine, and I don't want them to think I held information back, so while we are exchanging all the information, I e-mail them a copy of my policies. Basic things like paying in advance (which had already been discussed and they had no objections), holidays I take off, extended hours outside their normal schedule, etc. I don't see them having a problem with it, but send it anyway so they already know before they come.
And then I never hear from them again... Do you all have that problem? Everytime you think you'll finally get another spot filled, the family bails on you at the last minute because of a simple list of policies? I have it worded professionally I thought. Or maybe the problem is I'm sounding too professional, do you think?
Here are a couple examples:

Hours of Care: Parent and provider agree upon which hours child will be in care each week. Any changes to schedule must be agreed upon by parent and provider. If you find you will be a few minutes late picking your child up, please notify me as soon as you can to be sure that will work. If your child will not be attending a scheduled day due to illness or other reason, please notify me as soon as possible prior to your usual drop-off time.

Provider's Vacation/illness/emergencies: When the provider is not able to care for your child, and therefore does not provide care for the day/week, no payment will be required. The provider will notify you of any upcoming planned vacations in advance. In the case of provider's illness or emergency, the provider will notify you as soon as possible.
Indoorvoice 07:39 PM 09-15-2015
I had that same problem. I think when the family hasn't seen you in person, the policies can sound a bit strict and it turns them off. I stopped sending out my policies and instead do a detailed phone interview that covers my biggest policies. It really helped!
childcaremom 02:19 AM 09-16-2015
I have the same problem even if I wait until the interview to go over policies.

I always figure that these are parents who would have broken policies or don't agree with them and therefore would not be good clients, anyways.

When presenting my policies, I always say that I have been in business for a few years and have developed policies to help my business run smoother. That they are there to protect both of us so that we know what to expect when issues arise.

You can't win them all.
Thriftylady 06:01 AM 09-16-2015
It happens a lot. I have had families supposed to call for a paperwork interview (second interview), meaning they have called and said "I want the spot I will call to schedule" and then never call back.
MsLisa 06:44 AM 09-16-2015
I am there too.
Out of 28 kids "registered", only 12 show up daily. These parents took the time to fill out all the forms and then haven’t seen them since. They didn't pre-pay, because my ex-boss never enforced it, so I’m ready to just remove their file and fill their spot. I just don't get why they don't at least CALL or something to say hey we changed our mind.
ChelseaB 07:44 AM 09-16-2015
I also wait until my interviews with parents to show and discuss my contract because I think certain individuals may be turned off just reading my contract which probably comes off as cold and strict. If I'm able to openly discuss it with them and explain some of my reasonings and answer any questions on the spot, I feel I can head off their doubts at that moment, rather than giving them time to worry and back out. but yes, it still happens, I just try not to focus solely on that family, more so on continuing to advertise and finding the right family! If they come back, and I feel they're a good fit, then awesome! If not, I shrug it off as a blessing in disguise and move on!
Cat Herder 07:54 AM 09-16-2015
I have noticed most parents want black and white answers. Specific hours. Specific costs.

Fewer words, fewer loopholes.

Try emailing a "prospective family" overview, instead. Discuss the rest in person.

Dramatic imagery alert: It is easy to turn down that hot chocolate brownie, fresh out of the oven, when 1. you can't smell it across town and 2. when you hear there are strings attached. Once you see and smell it, those strings suddenly look pretty insignificant. : end alert.
Controlled Chaos 08:02 AM 09-16-2015
If I was in a pinch to fill a spot, I might wait until interviews to give them my handbook. But I am lucky to be in a spot now, where I have a wait list. I email parents my pricing tier and handbook before scheduling an interview. Many parents that end up on my wait list have said they were impressed by my handbook. I think it is a good weeding device.
Heidi 08:12 AM 09-16-2015
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I have noticed most parents want black and white answers. Specific hours. Specific costs.

Try emailing a "prospective family" overview, instead. Discuss the rest in person.

Dramatic imagery alert: It is easy to turn down that hot chocolate brownie, fresh out of the oven, when 1. you can't smell it across town and 2. when you hear there are strings attached. Once you see and smell it, those strings suddenly look pretty insignificant. : end alert.

Get 'em in the door!
laundrymom 09:03 AM 09-16-2015
Originally Posted by MsLisa:
I am there too.
Out of 28 kids "registered", only 12 show up daily. These parents took the time to fill out all the forms and then haven’t seen them since. They didn't pre-pay, because my ex-boss never enforced it, so I’m ready to just remove their file and fill their spot. I just don't get why they don't at least CALL or something to say hey we changed our mind.
I would send a paper letter saying that due to inactivity, their account is being deleted from your system.
And fill the spots with people who show up.
Baby Beluga 09:04 AM 09-16-2015

Well now I want a brownie!

I too wait until the interview to give my handbook and contract unless they specifically ask for it beforehand (which has never happened).
kendallina 10:28 AM 09-16-2015
If they're bailing when they see your policies, then perhaps they realize that they're not going to follow them and you're not going to be a pushover. I say you dodged a bullet!

That being said, I always wait until the tour to hand out my policies. I'm pretty personable and likeable in person, but my policies are like yours, they're firm. So I want to make sure that people understand that I'm really easy to work with (as long as you follow my policies) and for me that happens best at the tour.
MsLisa 10:35 AM 09-16-2015
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
I would send a paper letter saying that due to inactivity, their account is being deleted from your system.
And fill the spots with people who show up.

THANK YOU!
I've been thinking about this all week since its week 3 and still such low numbers. I really like this idea, as I stink at phone calls and email addresses are hit & miss on the forms. Brilliant!
Preschool/daycare teacher 10:37 AM 09-16-2015
Thanks for that imagery It really does make sense!
Thanks for the input everyone. I think I'll do just what you suggest: Wait until they come here to meet before giving them the policies. I was thinking I was preventing any wasted time on their end and mine both if they didn't agree to the policies. Especially since most people who contact me think I'm just a "babysitter" and not a childcare business with structure, routine, and policies they have to follow. So then they aren't as interested. As a "babysitter" I think they feel more in control, but as a childcare business, they have less control.
Legally I am only recognized as a babysitter since I am not licensed (I can have up to six children before I have to be licensed), so I'm not always sure how to present myself. With only three children maximum at one time, it looks more like "babysitting". But I went off topic
Ariana 11:32 AM 09-16-2015
I am like you and email beforehand that way I can get rid of the people who scare easily by rules I understand where everyone is coming from that it is best to meet face to face but I personally don't want anyone in my daycare who balks at my rules. Maybe they come to see you, then they see your contract and start thinking "we can easily bend that rule with her" etc. I want parents to know I mean business right away. I haven't had anyone turn down a meeting or a spot though so who knows! Maybe it is the parents in your area or maybe your contract is a bit too "unfriendly"?
nanglgrl 11:44 AM 09-16-2015
My policies are on my website, I email them the link before I every set up an interview. I tell them to schedule an interview once they've read them and use them to ask questions at the interview. Most of those people set up an interview and my policies are long! There have been many times a family is gung ho about coming to my daycare before and even during the interview and then I never hear from them again.
I'm pretty sure I know what happens in these cases. The did read or at the least browse my policies and like many thought "this one doesn't apply to me" or "I'm sure she has flexibility with this one" and then we interview and I bring up policies, they ask their questions (most of which wanting me to be flexible) and when they hear no they disappear. These are the clients who had a provider in the past who had policies that she didn't enforce. They're under the belief that policies are flexible..at least for them. When you interview and you don't come across as spineless their faith in getting their way dwindles and they continue their search for their perfect provider.
Good riddance!
Reply Up