Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>FDA Warning About Flour
Sunchimes 04:19 PM 07-04-2016
In reading about the recent FDA warning about the e coli contaminated flour, I saw that they are strongly recommending that children have no access to raw flour in any form. How seriously are you taking this? I ran out of homemade playdough and now I'm not sure if I should make more. What about baking? Homemade paints? Letter boxes using flour? Apparently, just getting it on your hands and then putting them in your mouth could be dangerous. I don't want to overreact, but I don't want to be too casual.
BabyMonkeys 08:05 PM 07-04-2016
It looks like it is actually a recall of certain types of flour. I'm just going to buy a new batch of flour and make new play dough. Flour is cheap
Thriftylady 05:19 AM 07-05-2016
Well the Playdough I make has to be cooked, so it would be fine. Not sure about the paint because I haven't made it. But, good hand washing afterwards should solve the issue.
daycarediva 09:36 AM 07-05-2016
Originally Posted by BabyMonkeys:
It looks like it is actually a recall of certain types of flour. I'm just going to buy a new batch of flour and make new play dough. Flour is cheap
I just tossed mine and bought new.

TBH- I always go for off brand, there seems to be fewer recalls. The one time I buy name brand flour and of course, it's recalled.

I do the cooked homemade playdoh, so I THINK I'm ok but I tossed it just to be safe. I have lots of littles.
e.j. 11:51 AM 07-05-2016
This is the first I've heard of the recall. With something like E.coli contamination, I'd rather be safe than sorry so I'd replace the flour I have if it's included in the recall.
Thriftylady 12:19 PM 07-05-2016
Originally Posted by e.j.:
This is the first I've heard of the recall. With something like E.coli contamination, I'd rather be safe than sorry so I'd replace the flour I have if it's included in the recall.
I have chosen to just be careful, because the number of brands will continue to rise. That is due to all the flour being processed in very few plants. You learn while being in the trucking industry how common it is for one company to make tons of brands. Such as, Walmart sugar is made by Dominoes sugar. So when one brand is affected, the list grows and grows.
AmyKidsCo 01:09 PM 07-05-2016
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
I have chosen to just be careful, because the number of brands will continue to rise. That is due to all the flour being processed in very few plants. You learn while being in the trucking industry how common it is for one company to make tons of brands. Such as, Walmart sugar is made by Dominoes sugar. So when one brand is affected, the list grows and grows.
Isn't that the truth! My great-grandpa used to work in a vegetable packing plant. He told us how they'd be running one brand then "That's enough Green Giant, run BirdsEye now!" and all they'd change is packaging - the veggies were the same.
Thriftylady 02:06 PM 07-05-2016
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
Isn't that the truth! My great-grandpa used to work in a vegetable packing plant. He told us how they'd be running one brand then "That's enough Green Giant, run BirdsEye now!" and all they'd change is packaging - the veggies were the same.
Yep! I don't know about now, but a few years ago there were TWO plants in the world that made all brands of vehicle antifreeze!
Reply Up