Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Hmmmm....Not Sure What To Do
sahm2three 12:23 PM 11-21-2011
My 6 mo dcb has a fever of over 101 now, and I warned mom that he didn't seem well earlier, coloring didn't look right. She was in contact with me until I texted her that his temp was 101 and he needed to go home. I waited about 20 mins and then called the dad. No answer there either. It has been over an hour. The little guy is miserable. I have no one else to call.
MyAngels 12:29 PM 11-21-2011
Oh no, I hope he's ok. That's so young for the parents to be out of contact, especially knowing that he's not feeling well. I take it they don't have a backup emergency contact?
sahm2three 12:30 PM 11-21-2011
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
Oh no, I hope he's ok. That's so young for the parents to be out of contact, especially knowing that he's not feeling well. I take it they don't have a backup emergency contact?
No, they aren't from here, so it is just the parents. Funny thing is, I was in contact with them until I texted them about him needing to be picked up. So irritating!
daycare 12:34 PM 11-21-2011
Originally Posted by sahm2three:
No, they aren't from here, so it is just the parents. Funny thing is, I was in contact with them until I texted them about him needing to be picked up. So irritating!
just a word of advice...NEVER take a child that does not have a list of emergency back up care takers. Children will get sick, no way to avoid it and I am sure they will be sick more than most parents have sick days.

I always make sure that my parents inform me of their plans at the time of enrollment for when their child is sick.

I have in my contract that the parents have 1 hour from the time of contact to pick up their kids. After the hour has passed, I charge a fee of $1.00 per min.
small_steps 12:39 PM 11-21-2011
Daycare that's a good policy. I need to put something like that in mine.
nannyde 12:49 PM 11-21-2011
They are just letting you know that they are fine with you keeping him sick. That's what the silence is about.

You have a really good chance that they doped him before care.

Why were they in contact with you before he got sick? If a parent out of the blue asks how the kid is doing it's a big red flag that they are really checking to see if the medicine wore off yet. Once they know the meds have worn off they stop the contact.

If you texted them and said "just an update... I think little Johnny is teething/allergies/ear infection (any one of these will work). Can I give him some advil? We have him separated and are giving him one to one care. Since it's most likely teething/allergies/ear infection.. you are welcome to keep him here today and as long as he's on advil he can come tomorrow. Just let me know if I can administer it now." they would text RIGHT back.

NEVER notify illness by text or voicemail. If they are sick just put them on constant redial until someone picks up. One call after another and NO voicemail. You need to have them on the phone live with you when you tell them they need to come right away.
sahm2three 12:59 PM 11-21-2011
Ok, FINALLY a response. Over an hour and a half later. Ugh. Dcd is on his way. Ok, so he can't come tomorrow, but I am sure they will try to bring him. He has an older brother, do I allow the brother? I gave him tylenol because he just seemed so miserable, and even after an hour, his temp was still almost 101. Do I tell them he needs to go to the doc or is that telling them how to parent? At 6 months, I would be concerned about 101 temp, right?
MyAngels 01:00 PM 11-21-2011
I got to thinking about this, and I think my next step (assuming they still have not called you back) would be to call the parents' places of employment, and without giving too much information, leave word that their daycare provider is really needs to get ahold of them. I've had to do that once or twice and people seem to go out of their way to track them down when they think it's important.

Oh good - I just saw your post that they finally called back. I'd definitely ask them to check with their doctor, but I've been known to be overly cautious with infants.
AmyLeigh 01:04 PM 11-21-2011
Ok, FINALLY a response. Over an hour and a half later. Ugh. Dcd is on his way. Ok, so he can't come tomorrow, but I am sure they will try to bring him. He has an older brother, do I allow the brother? I gave him tylenol because he just seemed so miserable, and even after an hour, his temp was still almost 101. Do I tell them he needs to go to the doc or is that telling them how to parent? At 6 months, I would be concerned about 101 temp, right?
I would express my concern and say that if he were my child, I would take him to the doctor. Then leave it at that.
Blackcat31 01:06 PM 11-21-2011
He needs to be fever free for a full 24 hours without any fever reducing meds. So he should be excluded from care for a full 24 hours AFTER his fever is gone. I would exclude brother until parents have ruled out anything contagious. (Which they cannot do with out a Dr. visit.)

I would say "See you all on Monday after Thanksgiving."
nannyde 01:07 PM 11-21-2011
No attendance tomorrow. He needs to be fever free for 24 hours WITHOUT medication.

I would allow brother.
bice99 01:09 PM 11-21-2011
I had a mom like that this week. Took her 90 minutes to come get her 101.2 degree toddler. That was after I spoke with her on the phone! Well, she owes me $60. In my contract, parents have 30 minutes to have a sick kid picked up. They all work within 7 minutes of my house! And all emergency back ups must live nearby, that's the point of having them.

No, brother cannot come tomorrow per my illness policy. And I'm thinking of following someone's advice (cannot remember who it was) and requiring 48 hour exclusion if they are sent home midday. Gives parents an incentive to keep them home in the first place because then they only have to miss 24 hours.
cheerfuldom 01:16 PM 11-21-2011
you gave him Tylenol? I don't give kids medicine, ever, of any sort
Blackcat31 01:37 PM 11-21-2011
Originally Posted by bice99:
I had a mom like that this week. Took her 90 minutes to come get her 101.2 degree toddler. That was after I spoke with her on the phone! Well, she owes me $60. In my contract, parents have 30 minutes to have a sick kid picked up. They all work within 7 minutes of my house! And all emergency back ups must live nearby, that's the point of having them.

No, brother cannot come tomorrow per my illness policy. And I'm thinking of following someone's advice (cannot remember who it was) and requiring 48 hour exclusion if they are sent home midday. Gives parents an incentive to keep them home in the first place because then they only have to miss 24 hours.
That would be Catherder. BEST advice EVER!!!!!!! ...and it works like a charm.
Cat Herder 03:51 PM 11-21-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
That would be Catherder. BEST advice EVER!!!!!!! ...and it works like a charm.
Thanks.... It is an ever adapting career... It has changed our whole world for the better, here.
bice99 11:47 PM 11-21-2011
Thanks Catherder. I should have changed that in the new forms I sent home. I have updated my OTC meds forms so that I will not give oral meds unless I have a dr note that they are for teething infants/toddlers WITH THEIR DOSE LISTED BY THE DR. I also said that meds need to be given at home (antibiotics, etc) unless that is not possible - as in they need them more than 3 times per day. All forms need to be signed and returned by the 28th. Also resent out my page long illness policy and told them in the cover sheet it's so they can hang it on their fridge. And to call the night before to ask if their child can come if they aren't sure (was already on the illness page). That yes, staying home with a sick kid is hard when you're working, but it's easier than having to drop everything at work and hurry here to pick the kid up. Plus it lessens exposure. We'll see what happens. Depending on how well parents follow this, I might start the 48 hour rule.
sahm2three 08:33 AM 11-22-2011
Well, she called and asked if he could come this morning. LOL. I said no, he has to be fever free for 24 hours before he can come back. She said, "well with tylenol his fever is only 100 now." I say, "He still has a fever, and with tylenol, so he can't come tomorrow either. He has to be fever free for 24 hours WITHOUT meds!" She says, "So I just paid for a full week for him for half a day yesterday? Are you going to credit me for next week?" I am shocked by all this but say, "No, as per my contract, I have Thurs and Fri off with pay, and you have to pay for your spot even if your child is sick. I am here fully capable of taking care of your well child." She says, "Well, then I am bringing X (the older sib)." I say, "Ok, as long as he isn't showing any signs of being sick as well."

OMG. Parents. I have been there and worked outside the home, and when my daughter was sick, or even seemed like she "could" be coming down with something, I kept her home. *I* wanted to be with MY child when she wasn't feeling well. Why is it that all parents don't feel that way?!?!?!?
Cat Herder 09:13 AM 11-22-2011
, "Well, then I am bringing X (the older sib)." I say, "Ok, as long as he isn't showing any signs of being sick as well."
Is the older sibling even enrolled? I may have missed that, if so...sorry.
SandeeAR 09:17 AM 11-22-2011
So Why would a parent want to get the sick little one out, just to bring the older one? Isn't that putting the parent needs (of not taking care of both kids) above the needs of the little one? *shaking head at parent*
nannyde 10:48 AM 11-22-2011
Well, she called and asked if he could come this morning. LOL. I said no, he has to be fever free for 24 hours before he can come back. She said, "well with tylenol his fever is only 100 now." I say, "He still has a fever, and with tylenol, so he can't come tomorrow either. He has to be fever free for 24 hours WITHOUT meds!" She says, "So I just paid for a full week for him for half a day yesterday? Are you going to credit me for next week?" I am shocked by all this but say, "No, as per my contract, I have Thurs and Fri off with pay, and you have to pay for your spot even if your child is sick. I am here fully capable of taking care of your well child." She says, "Well, then I am bringing X (the older sib)." I say, "Ok, as long as he isn't showing any signs of being sick as well."

OMG. Parents. I have been there and worked outside the home, and when my daughter was sick, or even seemed like she "could" be coming down with something, I kept her home. *I* wanted to be with MY child when she wasn't feeling well. Why is it that all parents don't feel that way?!?!?!?
She says, "So I just paid for a full week for him for half a day yesterday? Are you going to credit me for next week?"

"Yes you pay for your child's slot regardless of attendance and no we can't offer a credit. If we gave parents paid time off for holidays and illnesses we would have to close within a couple of months. It's just not possible. If you would like me to offer that I'm going to have to raise your weekly rates significantly AND we would have to get all the other parents to agree to the raise and change in policy. I can't get parents to agree to the higher weekly rate. They would rather just pay a flat weekly fee that spreads the cost of their childs slot out over the year."

If this child was hospitalized for a week would the Mom want her landlord to decrease her rent by a week? If she goes on vacation for a week does the cable company give her a week credit?

It's extremely RUDE of her to ask you either question. Of course she's not going to bring her sick kid to expose the other children, you, your staff, and your family. Of course she is going to pay for the full slot. She needs to make sure YOU get some paid time off and some REST. She needs to make sure that the house she brings her children to is heated, in good repair, and has the supplies you need to care for her kids.

These parents need to GET that the cost of running the business doesn't have anything to do with whether or not the child is in the house or not. I take two weeks off in December every year and the difference of cost for being closed and being open is about .37 cents a DAY per kid.
Tags:fever - policy, illness, illness policy, illness policy - samples
Reply Up